Thread: Theft on the Koyukuk River

Default Theft on the Koyukuk River

Last September friends and I were hunting the Koyukuk River. We were camped upriver from Upper 3 Day Slough. Because of the way the bank was we left the fuel drums and a fuel pump on the bank directly across from the wall tent and camp.
    The place we camp is on a dead slough. Not much traffic comes in, as it is one way in, one way out. Somebody came in and stole the 12 volt gas pump that was left with the barrels.
    The pump is set up with cam locks on the hoses and suction tube. Cam lock caps cover the pump suction and hose ends when not in use. There are 2 lengths of black hose with a squeeze handle nozzle on the end. There is an aluminum housed filter on the pump also. The power cord has a 110v style male plug in on it. I believe the cord was gray and the plug was yellow.
    The galvanized steel box that it was all in would have had an oil measure cup, a baggie of drum o-rings, and at least one barrel wrench. It also had a black plastic suction tube.
    I waited this long hoping that whoever stole it would brag about either finding it or getting a good deal on it. And I am praying that one of you knows who it is and can help us get it back. Whereas I am extremely ticked off about it all, I can settle just to get it back. I'll grit my teeth and let somebody else dispense justice if need be.
    Thanks folks for whatever help you can provide.
    And yes, other than that my friends did bring 2 moose back home to fill our freezers with, so we can still count that trip as a positive adventure.

Angry sad state of affairs...

The Koyukuk is not a good place for visiting moose hunters to leave unattended gear or camps or boats. Many a sad story has been told of hunters who did that and lost fuel and other valuables. Evidently the presence of non local hunters is looked down on by some and their possessions are considered fair game by some. A thief is a thief and they deserve to be treated as such. When I hunt there some one will always be left in camp or with the boat.

Default Bet it was not rural

We were in a position most of the time to see boats coming or going. Obviously we missed this one. We did not see any rural boats coming into the slough, only urban boats, so no way am I laying this on locals.
    As long as I have hunted the Yukon, I personally have been treated well by rural people. Our camps have never been bothered by anybody. I do not want this thread to develop a tint that digresses into "they" or "us".
    I fully understand how some rural people might feel, and we do what we can to minimize our environmental impact and make every attempt to always remain open, friendly, helpful, and hospitable. In spite of this loss, I will change very little as to how I do things. I do know that my life is richer for the good people I have met that live in villages on the Yukon and Koyukuk Rivers.
    The great thing about this forum, is that in just a short time 200 people have looked at this thread. 200 hunters who care about what happens to other people. 200 opportunities to get the word out, listen, and provide feedback. Pretty slim chance whoever took it is one of the people on this forum, but you never know. More likely one of you knows somebody who hunted the Koyukuk last year, and now you are thinking about it just a bit more.
    Thanks folks for taking the time to read, care, and act in positive ways on so many occasions.

Default One more thing

I'll say one more thing about the recent topic about rural people, and I hope that this ends it. My first time on the Yukon was 1980. We met both rural and urban people. The people that were most receptive, most giving, were the rural folks.
    Most of the years from then to now we established a traditional camp over 100 miles off of the Yukon. In all the years there, we have seen rural boats only a couple of times.
    We have stashed gas on numerous occasions, and have even left gas behind the traditional campsite. One year before hunting season we were able to make sure that the gas was there. When we went hunting, the spot was taken. After the people left, we went to look for the gas. It was gone. And those people were not rural. On occasions other gas stashes disappeared, and we know it was not due to high water. The chances were that in all cases, non-rural people were to blame simply because of the logistics to get there.
    I am not, and will not, blame a group of people for our loss. A person is to blame. Maybe a couple of people. Where they are from does not matter. The color of their skin does not matter. They stole something and it is as simple as that. A thief is a thief is a thief. Help me catch him, or at least help me get my pump back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Where they are from does not matter. The color of their skin does not matter. They stole something and it is as simple as that. A thief is a thief is a thief. Help me catch him, or at least help me get my pump back.
    Ak. River Rat: Hope by some chance you get your stuff back. And I appreciate your attitude about this whole situation. Just want to mention that .338 mag. wasn't implying that it was a native who did this, but a "thief". He has very close family from that area and they are native Alaskan. And I know he'd agree with you concerning some of the best folks he's met in that country have been the rural people.

I can say that it would be prudent to stash one's gear so that it's inconspicuous or have someone keep an eye on things. Best wishes to all who are fortunate enough to hunt in that great country!

Default Theft while hunting

AK River Rat,

This was a good read, Its sad to see that when you are in the most remote locations in the bush of this great State that we still have these types still running about. From one hunter to another,I believe in looking out for each other even if he or she is another competitive hunter in the same area. When my son and I hunted sheep in the Brooks Range last year, we set up a main camp near the landing strip, and spiked from there, however due to weight reasons we left some high dollar optics, extra food,etc. in and near our tent. Yes, there was quite a bit of traffic there, a few drop-offs for float hunts and a few locals with their own personal super cubs but no one messed with our stuff. I also watched from a distance some planes do "touch and goes" almost like they were casing the place, but later I found out that it was State troopers/ fish and game and ANWAR Authorities (checking permits from outfitters ,I'm guessing) But like you say, someone knows something, and it will probably get out later if not sooner. Its bad that we almost have to Lock just about everything down, and perhaps a small powered surveylance camera to watch everything...Being outdoors now is just never what it used to be.

I hope you get your stuff back, keep us posted.

Default Koyukuk

It is the best vacation a guy can have. I really don't know of anyone who hunts up there on a regular basis who wouldn't have you in for tea or coffee, dinner, give you some fuel, let you borrow gear, etc etc. If you couldn't rely on others you could end up in a bad way.
    I hunted DM817 last year and hunted pretty close to Nulato. The folks from Nulato stopped to talk, ask what we had seen and were great.
    The whole state of Alaska is used for hunting and fishing by someone who lives somewhere else. Whether its hunting up north, dipnetting or sportfishing on the kenai, black bear hunting on POW. Stealing gear from another person is flat unacceptable. If you need it that bad, ask and I bet most will let you use it.
    AK River Rat, hope you get it back, unlikely as it might be, this thread will make people think about it. I'll be in a 22' Carolina Skiff with a small cabin this fall up there, stop in if you see us.

Default Good morning folks

Thought I'd bring this back up front just in case a few on the forum had not seen the post yet. I have not heard anything to date about the stolen pump, not that I expected to yet. Still, I am always hopeful that something positive will come out of this.
    JTM9, looks like I won't make it to the Koyukuk this year to say hi. One of the guys with us is getting on in years. I fear that the long 16 hour trip there is hard on him. His eyes are not what they used to be, and at 78, the hunt wears on him a bit. But to his credit, he never complains, and still loves to go. As long as he is willing to travel, I'll take on whatever burden necessary to get him to camp and make him comfortable.
    Instead, we will head to our other traditional site to hunt with family and friends. The route is shorter, and the shores are less muddy, therefore easier for him to walk around.
    Keep your eyes open for that pump, will you? Thanks

[QUOTE=jtm9;501625
    I hunted DM817 last year and hunted pretty close to Nulato. The folks from Nulato stopped to talk, ask what we had seen and were great.

I found this as quite a shock. I never have had a good experience with people from Nulato. Quite the opposite actually.

Tanana has been good.

Ruby is 50/50 and have met some very rude local people.

Galena - Nicest people on the Yukon I found.

Nulato - People were rude and didn't want us there.

Kaltag - People were so so but not overly friendly.

Holy Cross - People have been about the same as Kaltag.

As far as the theft goes we have had fuel stolen once. After that I always store my fuel 1/4 mile from camp and at least 200 off the river. If you do that you will never have a problem. Locals don't get out of their boat unless they shoot a moose on the beach or have to use the bathroom. Pretty plain and simple.

I always put my camp 100 yards off the river as well and in the trees so that it isn't visible and people are uncomfortable going that far from their boat to your camp.

That has been my experience.

I'd get out of jail long before they got out of physical therapy.

Sorry for your loss. Hate hearing about it.

Taylor

Default Revenge!

Sometimes You have to take the law into your own hands...shoot all thieves!!!

Default Nah, no shootin

Not for a fuel pump. Not for something that does not endanger the well being or lives of my family and friends. Nope, not a pacifist at all, just try to be reasonable. Well, sometimes I try to be reasonable. Just depends on who you talk with.
    And don't get me wrong, I am upset. Was mad, but that wore off to just P.O'd. I think about a lot of things I'd like to do, but when push comes to shove, just getting the pump back would be about as good as it gets. Why?
    Well, it means somebody, maybe somebody on this forum, saw it and went above and beyond to get it back to us. That is the side of people I like to believe in. That is what I look for in people, not the bad side.

[QUOTE=375ultramag;512832][QUOTE=jtm9;501625

I found this as quite a shock. I never have had a good experience with people from Nulato. Quite the opposite actually.

Tanana has been good.

As far as the theft goes we have had fuel stolen once. After that I always store my fuel 1/4 mile from camp and at least 200 off the river. If you do that you will never have a problem. Locals don't get out of their boat unless they shoot a moose on the beach or have to use the bathroom. Pretty plain and simple.

I always put my camp 100 yards off the river as well and in the trees so that it isn't visible and people are uncomfortable going that far from their boat to your camp.

That has been my experience.[/QUOTE]

Do you have experience further east of the haul road with those folks?

Ron

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Tanana has been good.

I agree about Tanana. Nice folks.

I find your statement about Ruby interesting. Somebody I know broke down there and the locals took real good care of them. Even invited them to a potlatch of an elder.

I've also found the Galena folks to be welcoming.

I've never been downstream of Koyokuk on the Yukon. On the Koyukuk River I found the Huslia folks to be okay despite rumors otherwise. A few seemed a bit cold, but others were downright nice. The village itself was pretty run down, though.

People are people everywhere. Some are nice, some are indifferent, and some are animals.

Stimpy - People are people everywhere. Some are nice, some are indifferent, and some are animals.

I can agree with that. Ivan at the gas dock in Ruby is a class act. I have had good experiences with people in Ruby but it has been hit and miss. I've only been there 6 or 7 times though.

I have no experience upstream from the bridge only down stream.

I think some of the shyness with people in the villages is just the culture in them. Not that they are bad people.

Roll in to any village with 4 or 5 moose on your boat and see how your treated though

Default wish you luck on finding out who did it

Its just wrong to take someone stuff!! Sometimes it could really put someone in a life threatening situation.

This has been one of the better reads and alot of good info learned. I agree that alot of people in these remote areas see hunters for 1-2 months out of the whole year. I can understand why they may not seem friendly when non-locals come in to hunt in their backyard. Of course they have a huge backyard dont they!! Alaska has so many resources and animals are one of them, that being stated and seen as how i cant support a famly by living out there, i have to sometimes go and enjoy a resource in someone elses backyard. I havent been on one of these adventures of going up or down a river 100 miles and have only spent a few days in St.Mary's with my dad when i was younger, but i have total respect for these individuals that can bear the hardship and cost of living in these remote areas. I would only wish that if i someday get the chance to go and experience such a trip that they could somehow see past the fact that i am an outsider and that they are part of my experience and mayebe they would share a story or two with me as i am passing thru. I would gladly help them if they came to my town or even contacted me to help with a resource that they are in need of.

Wish i had the freedom they have, and if the good Lord allows it to happen some year, mayebe a few extra supplies would do someone up there some good. STOP AND THINK ABOUT THIS, imagine how much frieght and cost of goods could be saved if every hunter or traveller took some extra supplies with them.

I know this was a little of topic but what the heck.

Hope that darn pump gets some good use as the original owner was completly wronged by you whoever you are!!

HELL YES !!!There is nothing worse than a thief..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I'd get out of jail long before they got out of physical therapy.

Sorry for your loss. Hate hearing about it.

Taylor

i could always use some more shooting practice. next time you go, i'll sit in a tree stand and keep an eye on your camp. liars and thieves have a special spot in hell