Thread: powder skis

Default powder skis

I am thinking about purchasing some powder skis for my 700 RMK and am looking for some advice. Are they worth the money at $300+? Any recommendations on a brand? C&A or Powder Pro or others? Thanks.

Default Powder skis

I have a '98 700 RMK and am running Simmons Flexi-skis and absolutely love them! I started with USI tunnel-wides then switched a few years ago. The USI skis were better for the high speed cornering and trails, but most of my riding is boondocking and in the powder. The Simmons are great, light, and shed snow really well. Stock skis are pretty good any more, but if you are upgrading, I would look at the Simmons.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'm running the SLP Powder Pro's and love them. They are an agressive ski though. I ran them on my F7 for a few years, then when I got my Skandic SUV I put them on it.

My brother has the Simmons on his 800 RMK, and they work great too. Not quite as agressive the the Powder Pro's.

With the Powder Pro's being so agressive I can set my suspension up to run less ski pressure for better perfornace in the powder, but still have good handeling on the trials.

The Simmons seem to ride smoother than the Power Pros.

Where do you ride mostly? Powder? Trails?

Have been using Simmons Flexi skis for the past 3 years. They work very well on powder and on trails. Helps to have carbide cutters when on hard, icy, or real crusty snow. I usually have the cutters on the inside of each ski and the regular wear bars on the outside. The powder pro's are also a great powder ski. These are the two ski's I've seen the most down in the Lower 48 in the big Powder areas.

Cool Ski Pressure

FarmerGrant, That's a new one on me! I have never heard of adjusting ski pressure! "More Info Please" I have an 03 RMK 800 and I'm always looking for ways to improve!!!!

Default ski pressure

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    FarmerGrant, That's a new one on me! I have never heard of adjusting ski pressure! "More Info Please" I have an 03 RMK 800 and I'm always looking for ways to improve!!!!

You adjust the ski pressure by moving the stop on the limiter strap which are the two (sometimes one) heavy straps on the front scissor of the rear suspension. If you tighten the strap up, it puts more pressure on the skis because it pulls the front of the suspension up. Likewise, if you loosen it up, more track is on the ground and the skis don't have as much pressure.

I'm not sure about the machine you have, but most of them can be adjusted easily on the trail. Ski-doo used to use a big nut that you could adjust with your hands. Mine takes a 9/16" wrench (so does most of the rest of the sled). Loosening it up will make it a lot of fun in the powder, but a monster to control at higher speeds on the hard pack. You will wheelie easily which makes it hard to come out of a turn fast (tendency to send you off into the bushes) but for powder it is great.

Just play with it next time you are out and find that sweet spot for you.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....