Thread: King Flys

Default King Flys

Any suggestions for King flys? I'm going to be headed south in a few weeks and would like to try and get a king on a fly.

I have probibly cought more kings on Fat Freddie's then any, but that is because I have used them quite a bit more. I also use King Killers and flash flies with an occational everglow. Keep 'em sharp though, as that boney mouth of a king can be hard to penitrate with a fly rod not being as stout as most spinning or bait casting rods.
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 05-23-2009 at 08:45. Reason: spelling

Default Yeah, what Alaska Fly Guy said

I've also caught most of my kings on Fat Freddies. A sticky sharp hook is a must, especially for kings. I usually use a Gamakatsu hook and keep a file handy to keep it super sharp.

I used to use the Gamakasu hooks quite a bit as well because they are very sharp when you start out. I have found over time that (IMO) the chemically sharpened hooks are much harder to KEEP sharp with a file and hone then are the "regular" or stainless hooks. They are just quite a bit harder and take more time to sharpen for me. I usually "touch up" the business end of my hooks every 10 minutes or so. Bouncing them off the rocks on the bottom (where the fish are) can dull them pretty quick.

fuschia bunny flies have produced extremely well for me...with fat freddies being a close second. My only problem and why I don tfish the fat freddies very much is they weigh a TON and suck to cast! pardon my english just hate using them unless they are on a bait caster (with splitshot to get them down).

Fuschia is my go to for kings coho's and chums...pretty much all the same, bunny flies, with cones and without a cone head depending on the place and how deep/fast the water is. They are quite a bit easier to cast and for me have worked very well.

Try weighted hare ball leeches and egg sucking electric leeches. Lots of weight and strip it fast.

Can anyone give some advice on how to fish a fat freddie? Also, what colors, for the fat freddie, if it matters? Thanks.

Default ahh yes...pink flies...

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    fuschia bunny flies have produced extremely well for me...with fat freddies being a close second.
    Yes!

Pink!

I'd also add flash flies to that list. If allowed by regulation, perhaps a two fly rig, flash fly point with Pink bunny dropper.

As for how to fish fat freddies...I would think that you should be near the bottom 1/8 of the water column. Dead drift with floating line and shot to get down deep. Corkies work well for an indicator, or if you're bouncing your rig you can "feel it out."

Bunnies and flash flies you can fish in the same manner, but also swing with a full sink or sink tip if that's what the fish prefer.

I'm thinking of tying some Fat Freddies using
    http://www.akflyfishers.com/fom_fat_freddie.html
    and getting some Gamakatsu Octopus hooks
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...291&hasJS=true
    I'm thinking bronze, 3/0
    Does anyone have any suggestions before I go this route? Thanks.