Thread: Need information: Float on Upper Colville river

Default Need information: Float on Upper Colville river

Hello,

We are planning a hunting/float trip on the upper Colville river for August. We are looking for recommendations on flight services and any information about sheep hunting in the upper Colville or it's tributaries. We would like to sheep hunt if possible, but we can always caribou hunt if we don't get a sheep on the upper river system.

Any ideas and recommendation would be helpful.

thanks.
    Advice from a River: Slow Down and Meander, Go with the Flow, Stay Current, Beauty is in the Journey...

Default 2009?

I believe Bettles is one good option for your Colville trip. Maybe Kotzebue also. Others would know better on that point.

We booked out air taxi out of Bettles back in March. My impression was that August/September tends to fill quickly. Might be good to check soon.

Here's Bettles air taxi info (from "Services" link at top of AOD page). Should be Kotz or other listings there too. Friends of mine spoke well of Bettles Air, so we booked with them (info@bettleslodge.com), but I recall Karen Jettmar speaks highly (from her book probably) of Brooks Range Aviation too and she does a lot of time up north. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Bettles Air Service PO Box 27 Bettles, AK 99726 (Bettlesfield) Tel. (907) 692-5111 Toll Free (800) 770-5111 Fax. (907) 692-5655 Internet http://www.bettleslodge.com

Bettles Lodge Bettles Air PO Box 27 Bettles, AK 99726 Tel. (907) 692-5111 Toll Free (800) 770-5111 Fax. (907) 692-5655 Internet http://www.bettleslodge.com

Brooks Range Aviation PO Box 10 Bettles, AK 99726 Tel. (907) 692-5444 Toll Free (800)692-5443 Fax. (907) 692-2185 Internet http://www.brooksrange.com

Good info above from 6xLeech (as always)

I have spoke with Bettles Lodge and Brooks Range getting info on trips to the Kobuk and Alatna. Both are top notch outfits and have great reputations. I would fly with either without hesitation.

If going out of Kotz, call Eric Sieh at Hageland Aviation. He is the man. I have used him twice and would not fly out of Kotz with anyone else.

Also, if going out of Kotz, check out Walt Maslen, www.northwestalaska.com as he rents high quality gear/rafts/etc.. He is a forum member "Northwestalska" as well. Not a typo, he just left out the second "a" in Alaska, or that name was already taken. Shoot him a pm or an email via his website. Great source for info on NW Alaska.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.