Thread: Need information: Hunt/Float trip on upper Colville River

Default Need information: Hunt/Float trip on upper Colville River

Hello,

We are planning a hunting/float trip on the upper Colville river for August. We are looking for recommendations on flight services and any information about sheep hunting in the upper Colville or it's tributaries. We would like to sheep hunt if possible, but we can always caribou hunt if we don't get a sheep on the upper river system.

Any ideas and recommendation would be helpful.

thanks.
    Advice from a River: Slow Down and Meander, Go with the Flow, Stay Current, Beauty is in the Journey...

No matter who you go with it's going to be expensive. You might check into flying into Bettles with Wright Air Service then fly to the Colville with Brooks Range Aviation. Both are first class flight services and come highly recommended.

Where are you located? Alaska Air Taxi out of Deadhorse did a great job for us in 2007. Put us down right on the river bank on the Upper Colville. Like AK45 said, it is going to be very expensive. Great area for caribou; not a sheep hunter so don't know about that.

When talking about places to hunt sheep can't say as I have ever heard the Coville mentioned.

Default Colville

I am located in Chugiak...

Sheep hunting in the Colville river drainage...I am not sure if there are any sheep on the colville, but I would think some of the drainages entering into the Colville should have sheep in the headwater areas of those drainages. I am not looking for anyones or a guides spot, but I figured since it is so expensive to get into, it will be a once in a lifetime hunt and float for me and just about anyone else, so I was hoping someone could give up some informatin on the area or make suggestions.

Thanks for all the help and information.

Gary
    Advice from a River: Slow Down and Meander, Go with the Flow, Stay Current, Beauty is in the Journey...

First place I would check is with the biologist responsible for that area if you have not already done so. Do the hunting reg's for that area list sheep - if so that would be reason for optimism. Hopefully someone on the forum will have at least some personal knowledge whether or not they are even present. Good Luck

If going out of Bettels, there are two great outfits there. I have spoke with Bettles Lodge and Brooks Range Aviation getting info on trips to the Kobuk and Alatna. Both are top notch outfits and have great reputations. I would fly with either without hesitation.

If going out of Kotz, call Eric Sieh at Hageland Aviation. He is the man. I have used him twice and would not fly out of Kotz with anyone else.

Also, if going out of Kotz, check out Walt Maslen, www.northwestalaska.com as he rents high quality gear/rafts/etc.. He is a forum member "Northwestalska" as well. Not a typo, he just left out the second "a" in Alaska, or that name was already taken. Shoot him a pm or an email via his website. Great source for info on NW Alaska.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.