Thread: Nenana near Mckinley Village

Default Nenana near Mckinley Village

Hi I Kevin and I'm new to this board. I have found a lot of good info here and reading the post everyone seems very helpfull and friendly. I live near Atlanta GA and will be coming up for my 7th trip to you great state. This trip is for the wife though, a cruise/tour. I've managed to stay a couple of extra days to go back to the Kenai, and I have that covered. What I need to know is about the Nenana near the park. We're staying at Mckinley Village Lodge and thats right on the river. I have the evening and the next morning to kill and would like to know if and how its fishable from the bank. I understand it has a decient run of kings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The Nenana is a glacier silt river. You won't be able to sportfish it with any success. People that live and fish along those silty rivers use nets, wheels or traps.
    Now what ?

gaboy,
    not only is the nenana a silty river it has no salmon run, i am afraid you were misled on that. the nearest fishing to mckinley village would be up the triple lakes trail which starts across the highway from the village where you can catch some small grayling. the fishing is so so but the hike can be very nice from that end. to get to any salmon fishing you would need a car and would have to drive down to sheep creek, willow creek, montana creek, rabideux etc.

not totally true....
    along the railroad system north of talkeetna there's a river called Indian Creek. It's only acessable by railroad. You can use the flag train that runs b/t Fairbanks and ANC. do a little research on on it. remember it's the indian creek north of talkeetna and not Bird Creek in Indian along the turnigan arm. I think there's another Indian creek along the south side if the turnagain arm as well.
    rainbows........rainbows that have never seen a human being.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by lakecreek View Post
    gaboy,
    not only is the nenana a silty river it has no salmon run, i am afraid you were misled on that. the nearest fishing to mckinley village would be up the triple lakes trail which starts across the highway from the village where you can catch some small grayling. the fishing is so so but the hike can be very nice from that end. to get to any salmon fishing you would need a car and would have to drive down to sheep creek, willow creek, montana creek, rabideux etc.

this is so not true

the kings come up as far as Healy, for spawning. they travel the yukon, the Tanana, to the nenana.... to healy. as do the silvers. they are not really fishable or with catcing by this point but they are in fact there. i would bet the in good water years they make it as far as cantwell areas. as this river runs south to north...for the most part.

you will not find any fishing in the village. Us local's hit the clear water streams the drain into the Nenana. and fish Grayling, dolly, white fish, pike, and rainbow, there are several such streams in the healy area, about 15 miles from the park area, and difficult to find. but definatly worth the effort.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    this is so not true

the kings come up as far as Healy, for spawning. they travel the yukon, the Tanana, to the nenana.... to healy. as do the silvers. they are not really fishable or with catcing by this point but they are in fact there. i would bet the in good water years they make it as far as cantwell areas. as this river runs south to north...for the most part.

you will not find any fishing in the village. Us local's hit the clear water streams the drain into the Nenana. and fish Grayling, dolly, white fish, pike, and rainbow, there are several such streams in the healy area, about 15 miles from the park area, and difficult to find. but definatly worth the effort.

I agree with the above post except for the Rainbows....the only rainbows I know of above the Range are in Lakes. There is a good spot for Grayling in Julius Creek outside of the town of Nenana. In Fact there is about a 1 mile trail that leads you to the confluence of Julius/Clear Creek that I've seen Kings, Silvers, Grayling, Whitefish in....The location is in the highway angler, I would recommend picking it up.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I saw the tripple lake trail. Does it follow or cross a stream for the grayling are they in the lakes? I'm guessing they take traditional type trout flies like I fish in north GA., prince, hares ear, pheasant tails, wolly bugers and such.

I do have a day in Anchorage and then 3 in coopers landing so I should be able to get my king fix there and mabye a few sockeye too.

Default triple lakes trail

I will be working on the triple lakes trail all summer and I hope to see you out there. The lakes do have small grayling in them with the second lake being the best. The hike to the lakes if fairly steep but less than 2 miles. If you make it out to the third lake look up our camp.