Thread: First Time Salmon Fishing --- Need Advice

Default First Time Salmon Fishing --- Need Advice

Will be staying in Alaska for 2 weeks this July and am looking to do a little fishing while I am on vacation. I have already booked a charter for kings up the Kenia, but would also like to fish on my own. I am looking for some advice as far as lures and such since I have never fished for salmon before. I will be using a spinner outfit.

Default reds

try to hit the reds if it is still open -

get some russian river flies and a bag of splitshot and goto the russian ferry...watch for 15 minutes then jump in line.

I would suggest trying for some pinks if you are here in the later part of July. They should be starting their run in hope and most of the south central streams. They are a lot less frustrating then reds especially for those without experience.
    The Charter should be able to help out a lot.
    Try to pick up some flys and some vibraxes.

Default listen

Big dog is right!
    Learn from your guide. Don't go stealin his hot spot or anything like that but pay attention to what seems to be working then purchase them at fred meyer in town. Your guide will be on his phone/radio talking to others who are fishing too so you will be getting the best advice from several able bodied(not minded) fishers.
    The russian is fun although crowded, look up some photos of the river before you go or you may be overwhelmed by the number of poles.
    Good luck, you will be enjoying 1 of my favorite trips.

Default guided spot stealing -

- on the Kenai?????

Default Boca

On father's day several years ago I went tarpon fishing in Boca Grande Fl.
    The fish were concentrated in an area about 200 feet wide by 1/4 mile long, perhaps 120 boats-no secret spots.
    yes, the Kenai is similar. No secret spots, but if a guide takes you there today and finds you there tomorrow on your private boat, an argument could be made. Enough thread stealing....
    Great wishes toward your success!!

Buy the Highway Angler to find the where and when. Hit a local bait shop and ask some questions. Don't forget to spend a little money while there. Once you get to the water, watch and learn. Don't be afraid to ask for a little help from someone who has limited or is standing next to you in the water. Be nice and others will return that. Good luck and enjoy.

Fishermen/women ARE nice people!