Thread: Performance report...257WBY/100grnTSX Vs. Black bear

Default Performance report...257WBY/100grnTSX Vs. Black bear

I just returned from my annual spring black bear hunt. It's a spot and stalk hunt along snow slides. I usually take a .30-06, but this year I was anticipating longer shots so I took a new chambering for me...a 257WBY. I thought people might like a field report.

The load was a 100grn TSX, pushed by 72grns of RL-22 with a CCI magnum primer, and a COL of 3.205...a very accurate load out of my rifle. I took a smaller bear this year (a 5.5 foot boar). The bear popped out of nowhere, and was walking across the base of a snow slide in my direction when it quickly winded me. I took a 115 yard shot as he was briskly moving directly away from me and soon to drop down out of sight...thus I took a "Texas heart shot". The bullet entered directly adjacent the "Texas heart" and exited out the front of the chest. The exit wound was surprisingly massive for a 100grn bullet. It was at least half a fist in size, taking out three ribs and projecting some unidentifiable innards as it passed through the short length of the bear. The bear rolled forward and dropped when hit, quickly expiring.

Fortunately (and miraculously) only fractions of the rear quarter nearest the entrance hole and front quarter nearest the exit wound were blood shot. I think I got off super lucky because the tissue damage to the chest was extensive around the exit site.

Doc

P.S. No pictures...sorry.

"Texas Heart Shot?" Never heard that one before but I think you may just have insulted a few Texans, LOL.
    Anyway congrats on the bear.

Very interesting report Doc. Thanks for sharing. How big was the bear?

Thanks PRDATR and MRfileman...

The bear was modest sized, 5.5 feet from tail to nose. I fugure the bullet traveled through 4.0-4.5 feet of bear before exiting. At 100 yards I estimate the impact velocity at around 3200fps, so that bullet was really cooking when it hit. The little 100 grn TSX apparently held up just fine...the wound channel was straight with a huge exit. (I'm still looking to recover a TSX, X or XLC from moose, caribou, deer, grizzly or black bears...they all have passed through the animal).

If Professor Murphy is reading, I want you to know that I did load-up some 120 A-Frames for the hunt, but didn't get a chance to use them sir.

Doc

P.S. I doubt that there is offense taken for my use of the common expression "Texas heart shot". However, if there are any of my hunting brothers out there that are offended, then I extend my apologies...we'll call it an "Alaskan Doc heart shot"

That's real interesting Doc.

I performed some Texas heart surgery last fall on an antelope with my 300 WSM and a factory Fed 180 Power Pt (softpoint non-bonded bullet) with a measured MV of about 2990. The bullet entered just right of the Texas heart and was recovered under the opposite front shoulder. No bone were broken and there was very little meat damage but massive internal damage. The recovered bullet wieghed 93 gr. I estimate the impact velocity to be about 2780, 180 yds away. No gapping exit hole but the average sized goat (maybe 100-110 lb) didn't go anywhere. The rear legs collapsed immediately, followed by the front legs in a few seconds. I could hear it struggling to breath as I approached, but it was very dead when I arrived.

I dont know how you can improve on the performance of your bear shot, but GS makes a dandy monometal 100 gr bullet in 25 cal that will far exceede the velocity your are getting with the barnes bullet. Not sure if you recall Beartooth's thread with a 257 WHTBY, but he was getting 3765 fps out of it. His thread...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45869

The GS HV 100 gr...

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/257100HV054.html

Everyone I've read who has used them on game say they are devaststing killers. Like I said, not sure how you could improve on the performnce the barnes tsx on this bear, but who knows, maybe you could have killed it a little deader

One thing for sure, they are one flat shooting, lazer bullet with an MV of 3765.

Default Texas?

Doc, nice report on the 257 and your loads. That sounds like one sizzling load. I am like you and surprised there wasn't more damage to the hind quarters and glad. Good job and around here we always call it a "Texas heart shot". Not a favorite place to shoot but sometimes the only angle.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the supportive words Mark and the best of hunting to you, sir.

I enjoyed MtRifleman's hunting story. I do recall Beartooth's numerous posts on the 257WBY. I have always gotten a kick out of his enthusiasm for speed and accuracy, just as I have enjoyed the few PM's that Beartooth and I have shared. I did not get a chance to chrony my load before heading to the field, but I will in the weeks to come. I'm shooting a 26" barrel, and strongly suspect that I'm spitting the 100gn TSX at close to 3600 fps at the muzzle.

I'm still a big fan of the .30-06 and 375H&H, but I'm carving out a space for the 257WBY in my hunting future.

Good shooting and hunting to all.

Doc

Talking congrats!

Hi Doc. Glad to hear you're out and about, enjoying a sucessful outing. You're hunting with a great rig there...it'll definitely do it's job. Years ago, when I became interested in pursuing bears, I went to what I considered a "big" bore (25-06). It was to me, because years prior to that I used a 22-250 on everything from ground squirrels to elk. In the 25-06, I used mostly the 100gr Speer Hot Core on everything smaller than elk...for elk I used the 120gr Nosler. It did a great job and your 257 Wea would be somewhat faster. I sold mine to a friend and he still says it's his go to rifle for everything he hunts. You'll love the results on the caribou also. Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Good to hear from you again Mdog and thanks for the congrats! I appreciate your encouragement for the quarter bore. I've had a 257 Roberts for a few years (a TC Encore), but have taken it hunting only once...black-tail on Montague. I'm still getting to know the 257WBY chambering, but I'm pretty sure I'll be packing it off to spring bear camp next year.

I didn't mention it in my original post, but I'll say it now...the best part of spring bear hunting this year was that my son was able to come, and I was there with him when he got his first bear...one of those moments you wished could last forever.

Doc

Thumbs up What could be better?

Doc, that's as good as it get's on your spring hunt with your son. You couldn't have planned a better hunt and OUTCOME...I'm happy for you. I also hope you use that rig on caribou this year...I'd like to hear the outcome and details of that experience. Thanks, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default 257 weatherby

It's nice to have a bullet you can count on to stay together on this type of shot angle. Nice job on the field work! I've never owned a .257 but do know it is a laser of a round. I've witnessed my brother shoot two black bears and a whitetail with the .257 and no one argued. I've always leaned toward the .300 Weatherby and have no reason to switch. I'll show this to my friend that wants a .257 barrel for his Blaser. I'll keep my .300 Weatherby barrel for mine. Nice Job!