Thread: Another memorable day

Default Another memorable day

5/21/09 we went out at low tide and caught our limit of good eater Halibut. Then we came in to troll the incoming for Kings. Still very slow as we seen only one caught.
    I kept varying the dept of my downrigger, just exploring to see where they were. I reeled up to check my bait and look for weeds on my line. We were at 27' so I put it down 13'. Immediately got bit.Almost spooled me. Had to chase it with the boat. Alright fish on and a good one.
    After a while I said this ain't no king, must be a Halibut.
    An hour and five minutes later I get it to the boat. Measuring it against the rod box that is 9' long this thing is 6' plus or minus an inch. About 200lbs. It's caught in the tail. All this with my Lamiglass G1314 King rod with 30lb leader. Took picutres and released it.
    #1= we had our limit
    #2= it was snagged
    #3= it was a female
    all good reasons to release it.
    Believe me I was spent after that. I've caught Marlin that were easier to land.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    5/21/09
    #3= it was a female
    How do you tell male from female?
    Very interesting! 13ft.....never woulda thought...

Sometimes in California, I ask the same question........

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    How do you tell male from female?
    Very interesting! 13ft.....never woulda thought...
    I think almost all halibut over 80-100 pounds are females....
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Wow! Great Story. An hour fight, the person fighting it must have had popeye forearms by the time it was all said and done.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I once fought a tail hooked 40# king for 45 minutes, I would hate to see what a 200# butt would do to me!!!!!

I guess you didnt have a derby ticket eh

that thuks

Default foul hook

You deserve a reward!
    My personal opinion is all foul hooked (sport) fish should be released.
    Congratulations!

Default Not trying to start an argument but

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    My personal opinion is all foul hooked (sport) fish should be released.
    Congratulations!
    Why? I don't mean to hijack this thread (great story - thanks for sharing!). But most fish, especially those with high catch and release mortality rates, that are foul hooked and fought to submission, have a very low chance of survival. A foul hooked and landed fish is much weaker than one hooked in the mouth.

I am not suggesting making the methods of snagging legal. But why not make it mandatory to keep a foul hooked fish?

I'm going to go hide now, I am sure someone is going to throw something at me for this comment.

Heck of a nice fish Roland!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    Why? I don't mean to hijack this thread (great story - thanks for sharing!). But most fish, especially those with high catch and release mortality rates, that are foul hooked and fought to submission, have a very low chance of survival. A foul hooked and landed fish is much weaker than one hooked in the mouth.

I am not suggesting making the methods of snagging legal. But why not make it mandatory to keep a foul hooked fish?

I'm going to go hide now, I am sure someone is going to throw something at me for this comment.
    Actually, I believe snagged fish are legal to keep in saltwater in general.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

nickster that is correct. FOr the most part...there are some limitations that vary by area's
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Great story and picture.......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default i doubt it died

I bet it was real tired. Probably went straight to the bottom and didn't move for a long time . It's got a good puncture wound too but I doubt it would die. Has there ever been a study on released halibut survival rate? Would be pretty hard to do i guess. I can see why released salmon mortality is somewhat high cus they are out of their element, are days/weeks/a month without food, weak and exhausted at times.

They cant make foul hooked fish legal to keep because there are to many lawbreakers who would foul hook fish on purpose. Could you imagine reds in a river? That would be a disaster. Maybe making it a law in the salt would work though??