Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: My 358Win Is Very, Very Consistent

  1. #1

    Default My 358Win Is Very, Very Consistent

    I have finished my load work for my 358Win Hawkeye pictured here.






    I was sighting it into day and as usual it shot extremely well for out of the box but it always has. I moved two click up and two clicks to the right and she is ready to go. The frist target is todays sight in target then some others that show the consistency of this rifle.
    Todays target and load is 49grs AA2495BR, 225gr Sierra SBT, Winchester brass, 210 Fed primer, OAL 2.769"








    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2

    Default

    What do you plan on hunting with this rifle?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    What do you plan on hunting with this rifle?
    Anything I want Deer, boar, black bear, elk, mule deer and if I get a chance, Moose and Grizz. It might be going with me back to Africa if I can work out things with Sadaka in time.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  4. #4

    Default

    I have a 35 Whelen Mauser action, but haven't killed anything with it yet. Got it for the west, Alaska, and Africa. However, my 401(k) went to 101(k) so it may take a few more years to build back up.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    I have a 35 Whelen Mauser action, but haven't killed anything with it yet. Got it for the west, Alaska, and Africa. However, my 401(k) went to 101(k) so it may take a few more years to build back up.
    I do understand the retirement money going south, 67% of mine is gone.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Yukon Canada
    Posts
    1,289

    Default !!!

    Beartooth rub it in a little more eh!! I had to go with the 338 federal as Im a lefty and ruger didnt make the 358 in a lefty model or I would own one! Ive been working up loads too, best so far is 185 tsx with 45 grn xterminator for a MV of 2590 shoots little tiny groups but the barnes are just too expensive so am working with some hornady interlocks now. Still it aint a ruger and its not a 358, dang now Im bummed! Thanks! let me know what you get with that gun this year. Have you tried 250 noslers? they shot great out of my BLR , killed a bison too, one shot lifted it right off its feet!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Beartooth rub it in a little more eh!! I had to go with the 338 federal as Im a lefty and ruger didnt make the 358 in a lefty model or I would own one! Ive been working up loads too, best so far is 185 tsx with 45 grn xterminator for a MV of 2590 shoots little tiny groups but the barnes are just too expensive so am working with some hornady interlocks now. Still it aint a ruger and its not a 358, dang now Im bummed! Thanks! let me know what you get with that gun this year. Have you tried 250 noslers? they shot great out of my BLR , killed a bison too, one shot lifted it right off its feet!
    No I have not tried them but don't find a need for them and I believe the 225gr bullets will serve my purpose and it is I believe the optimum bullet for the 358Win.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Well, not my retirement...

    account, but another investment account I have, I doubled up on many holdings when the Market was at it's lowest points, & I've reaped the rewards today...my portfolio value is HIGHER today that it was when the stock market was at it's highest value... (guess that's one reason for the purchase of a NIB REM 700 XCR 270 WSM)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Now that you have the rifle dialed in, just refine your field position exercises so you become a death ray.

    Years ago I telephoned a well-known African PH to purchase one of his flicks, and asked him how he developed such excellent marksmanship with his large doubles and the crappy express sights (good for close in, but not for long shots), he told me: "I go out to the desert, and have my kids release helium balloons, and then I turn and shoot them" (he meant the balloons). He told me I could do that with my .500 A-Square on ptarmigan. HA! Only if I seriously downloaded the shells. Besides, I wouldn't use a food-source for targets, but the balloons sound good.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Now that you have the rifle dialed in, just refine your field position exercises so you become a death ray.

    Years ago I telephoned a well-known African PH to purchase one of his flicks, and asked him how he developed such excellent marksmanship with his large doubles and the crappy express sights (good for close in, but not for long shots), he told me: "I go out to the desert, and have my kids release helium balloons, and then I turn and shoot them" (he meant the balloons). He told me I could do that with my .500 A-Square on ptarmigan. HA! Only if I seriously downloaded the shells. Besides, I wouldn't use a food-source for targets, but the balloons sound good.

    Been working on them every other time I go to the range. I am ready now but I keep practicing.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  11. #11

    Default

    I have thought about getting a 358 to use instead of the 35 Whelen. I like a light short rifle with a short bolt, especially when stalk hunting. At least one I can hold in my right hand down by my side and it not touch the ground. I already have a Ruger .308, accurate and light. I thought the .358 would be a good brother to it.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    I have thought about getting a 358 to use instead of the 35 Whelen. I like a light short rifle with a short bolt, especially when stalk hunting. At least one I can hold in my right hand down by my side and it not touch the ground. I already have a Ruger .308, accurate and light. I thought the .358 would be a good brother to it.
    It really will be a good and perfect companion to the 308.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  13. #13

    Default

    For all of those who might be interested, I will be developing soon an LBT 250gr Cast Paper Patch Load for the 358Win for big and Dangerous game that should give me 2400fps plus and this with out leading up the barrel.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  14. #14

    Default

    There are advantages over standard jacketed bullets when using cast bullets. Not only in cost but in wound channel due to the flat nose of an non expanding bullet. This is a highly debated issue that I will not get into at the moment because so much is incorrectly understood about cast bullets much less jacketed bullets. I will start a new thread when I am finished with my research and load development and results of the effort. I will post pictures of the process and hope to be finished in time to use the paper patch cast LBT bullet on a bear hunt in Arizona in Oct. It will be November before I report so as not to leave anything undone or create any confusion.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Willow Ak.
    Posts
    65

    Default It's B-a-c-k!!!

    I have the old school Ruger in the .358 and it shoots very accurate as well. Come to think of it, I've never seen one that shot bad. Good looking rifle, good luck!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gameon375 View Post
    I have the old school Ruger in the .358 and it shoots very accurate as well. Come to think of it, I've never seen one that shot bad. Good looking rifle, good luck!
    Sorry for taking so long to respond to your post Gameon375, but I have been preoccupied with an other project. Yes, this Ruger really shoots great and the more I play with the 358Win, I just love it. Can't wait to use it hunting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •