Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Engine Troubles

Default Outboard Engine Troubles

I have an older Suzuki 55 on my skiff. I can be cruising along just fine and then it will bog down and come off step. Then I bring it to idle for a bit and then can go back on step but only for a short while. I ran from Douglas today down to the Taku with no problems but then on the way back it bogged down almost a dozen times. Any ideas???

Make sure the check valve in the primer bulb hasn't come apart and is letting the check ball float around inside the bulb. I had that happen on a 35 Merc once and it drove me crazy trying to figure it out.

What kind of Champ are you flying?

Champilot38,

While this could be anything, it really sounds like a fuel issue. Fuel problems do just the goofy stuff you described. They run great one minute and the next minute you could swear that someone bolted a completely different outboard on the back of the boat. I have been there and done that on several occasions. They are a pain.

But to help you with your problem, I would bet that your gas is either old, not stored with a stabilizer over the winter, or is brand spanking new and contaminated when you got it. I would run it on a small gas can with gas that is known to be good and see if it miraculously goes away. If it does, you know what to do; get rid of your gas in your main tank....If it doesn't, it is time to change all fuel filters, check and drain the water fuel separator and it probably wouldn't hurt to put a new cartridge in it at this time too, drain the carbs and see if it goes away. If not, it is time to dig into the carbs and clean them up. It is not really that hard, but it is time consuming and ticks me off as I'd rather be fishing......Best of luck and let us know how it turns out

Default Another idea?!

Check to make sure your fuel pump diaphram is not ripped. It's a thin piece of "rubber" or what-not material that flexs back and forth to move the fuel. If it's ripped it will run fine at idle as it can keep up but as you get on step and start cruising it will die off as it uses up the fuel faster than the ripped diaphram can keep up. Just a thought...
    BK

Thanks for the help guys. I will try those things. I know the gas was good. Its irritating it will run great for days and then one day pulls this crap time after time. Im flying for Wings in Juneau this summer. Trying to fish as much as possible. This problem is hindering that.

Default All good suggestions

I had this very same issue with an older Evinrude 40hp- sometimes wouldn't do it for days, then all of a sudden at full throttle the boat would act as if I was lettin' off throttle. It would idle great- it never, ever died. After a few minutes of messing with things, and scratchin' my head, it would suddenly get going again.
    I fiddled with gas, filters, etc. Then finally just decided to change the entire squeeze bulb/fuel supply hose assy to brandnew one; changed all filters, changed tanks, added fuel/water seperator I had been meaning to install. Same as you- I had verified gas was good.

After these efforts, it never did it again. I changed too many things at the same time to ever really know which particular issue was to blame.
    It was obvously a fuel-starve issue at higher rpm & engine load. Would have loved to have known the exact culprit.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I will change all those things and let you know. Hopefully very soon. Thanks again

Default Still not working

Well I changed the fuel lines. External fuel filter. Primer bulb and still boggin out. I think there might be a filter on the engine but I havent bought the service manual yet. I also noticed today when I went to flush it when I got home there was almost no water coming out of what I think is a hole for water to come out of. I saw other boats today with a hole in just about the same spot with lots of water coming out of them. Maybe this could be the culprit. It ran fine today on the way to the fishing grounds then on the way back it was boggin out. Any ideas?

Default Champ

Sounds like you need to change your water pump, the impeller is gone.
    This would result in the motor overheating, then shutting down into a "safe" mode so you don't overheat it and ruin it.
    A cheap fix, especially if your somewhat mechanically handy. There should be lots of water squirting out the pisser tube indicating water circulation through the block.
    BK

on my inboard had similar problem turned out i had put some very old fuel in it and the bad fuel would restrict flow through filter.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Sounds like the same thing the 15 was doing on my Zodiak. Thought it was a fuel problem. Turns out it was overheating (sucked in some sand). Ended up squeeking both pistons...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

If it is a heat prob.(lack of water stream from pee hole) it may be sand stuck in the fitting that goes through the engine cover, or sand trapped in the thermostat. stick a piece of wire in the pee hole with engine running. If the stream returns strong, remove the plastic restricter from the hose and flush out the line. If no change, remove thermostat housing and flush the cooling jackets.
    My johnson did the same to me in the river. Sand was not allowing the thermostat to open, now I do not run with a thermostat, just takes a little longer to warm up.
    Sounds like motor is going into safty mode to keep from burnning up. Or it could just be bad gas.

Default Problem Fixed

Thanks everyone for your help. Turns out it was none of the things I thought it was. I replaced the water pump and got water to come through the pee hole and still the problem occured. I rebuilt the fuel pump and still the problem occured. A friend said to check the connection to the tank. I had connectors on for a Johnson. As soon as I put the proper Suzuki connectors on I havent had a problem a since.

Default Champilot

Good to hear it is resolved and thanks for the feedback.
    BK

Just an FYI, the motor doesn't care which name brand fuel connectors are used as long as it gets fuel. What does happen or most likely happened is that an o-ring or two in the connectors dry rotted and allowed air to be sucked into the fuel line causing fuel starvation. Those connectors and o-rings are 1 more thing on a boat that need to be at least annually inspected. Or even better, if it won't cause an inconvenince, is to use barbs and clamps instead of a quick disconnect.

Brand name doesn't matter, but style does. Different engine manufacturers use slightly different style connectors. One may physically connect with another, but that doesn't mean that the connection won't leak. It's always a good idea to use the right connectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default leaky connectors

I have leaky connectors do that to me too. Seems like you have to change the o-rings out almost annually to keep them from leaking. What usually seams to be the problem isn't the gas leaking out, its the air leaking into the line. Then as that air bubble passes through the line you get a momentary drop in power.

Default Daammnnnnitttt

I spoke too soon. I had the boat out three times and it ran like a top. Took it out yesterday in rough water and it was doin the same old ****. Seems like most of my problems have been when the water is rough. Not sure how that matters. The only thing I havent replaced is the gas tank. And at this point im fed up and out of money. The boat went up for sale today.

If it only fails when rough I would look at the carb`s float.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    If it only fails when rough I would look at the carb`s float.
    It has failed in smooth water too but only when the fuel tank is about half full. It seems more prevelent in rough water. Ive inspected the fuel tank and it appears to be okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast