Thread: Looking for info: Mossberg Model 40-.22 cal. bolt action

Default Looking for info: Mossberg Model 40-.22 cal. bolt action

I picked up a very, very well used .22 today at a garage sale today. I felt sorry for the old thing, and though it really doesn't seem to have much potential (doesn't extract shells, cracked stock, etc.), I'd sure like to know more about it. It is obviously an entry level firearm, as there are nothing fancy about it. It is bolt action, with a knurled plunger type device on the end of the bolt for cocking. Someone has put another rear sight in it and in so doing has obscured part of the date on the manufacturer's label (terminology?).

All I could find on the net is that at least one group of this model is classified as "curio, relic" by the ATF, and that the years were 1933-35.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

see http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm

THE Mossberg guy...Nice people too! Enjoy

I have a model 40-21 or 22 or 22lr ? that has not been altered. The gun has slots and taped hole on left rear that was for an optional target sight. The rear sight on top of barrel on my rifle was mounted so it cut of the last part of the model # and PAT'D
    date. All I can read is model # 40-2?? Best guess so far it could be as old as 1932 to 1935.
    The rifle was my fathers who pasted in 1960 so history is thin. I do have a photo of him in nickers at about ten years old shooting
    the single shot bolt action mossberg that my brother has.
    The model 40 I have can only use long rifle amo and works great. The condition is excellent and it will be passed to
    my grandson. Still would like to know the true model #.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by drgill49 View Post
    I have a model 40-21 or 22 or 22lr ? that has not been altered. The gun has slots and taped hole on left rear that was for an optional target sight. The rear sight on top of barrel on my rifle was mounted so it cut of the last part of the model # and PAT'D
    date. All I can read is model # 40-2?? Best guess so far it could be as old as 1932 to 1935.
    The rifle was my fathers who pasted in 1960 so history is thin. I do have a photo of him in nickers at about ten years old shooting
    the single shot bolt action mossberg that my brother has.
    The model 40 I have can only use long rifle amo and works great. The condition is excellent and it will be passed to
    my grandson. Still would like to know the true model #.
    Dave
    WOW! You resurrected a very old thread! We are still shooting the old Mossy, and it has taken a few spruce chickens over the last couple years. Sounds like your rifle is about the same as mine.