Thread: Sinking tip lines

Default Sinking tip lines

I'm going fishing on the Talachulitna in early July, and was wondering what type of sink tip line(s) to get for Kins's with a 10wt and rainbows with a 6wt. Is a 24' sink tip too long? Is a 10' sink tip to short? Type 3,4? I've used full sinking lines before, but never sink tips. What is the advantage of a sink tip over a full sinking line?

First time up there so I appreciate the advice. I was thinking the Tal isn't a big deep river (or so I think) so a 10' type 4 sink tip would work (I bought one), but maybe I need a 24' for fishing around Anchorage.

There is a dvd some guys put together during a float trip on that river. I bought it to get some info on the river. Worth watching for sure if you are going. Link below to the forum store.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=64

Why sink tip instead of full sinking lines? One reason, easier to cast. Full sinking lines are better for lakes generally speaking. River fishing, seems sink tips rule the day. I am not familiar with the river you are going on, so I can only make some general suggestions. From what I recall, the dvd did not make any references to water depth and the guys were spin fishing. On most rivers I have fished in Alaska, I was fishing 5-8 foot of water most the time and finding some holes of 10-12 feet of water. I have used the Scientific Anglers "Wet Tip" type III and IV lines. These sink fast and are 12-14 foot sinking tips. They cast very well and I am more than pleased with them. This may be suitable for your trip, but water depth/speed are two variables to consider of course. Wish I could help more.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

It all depends on the depth of the river and the strength of the current.

The biggest reason for a sink tip as opposed to a full sink line is the ability to mend your line. Hard to mend anything thats not on the surface. A 10ft sink tip for the Tal is a great choice. You can have that rod rigged and ready for swinging streamers and rig another rod with a floating line for dead drifting and top water presentations.

I fish this river a lot.

You can use a floating line and a 6-10' piece of T-14. I prefer using a Teeny mini-tip line, which works just fine.

Water is super low already, might be ankle deep by July if we get no rain. Lots of ash too from the Redoubt eruptions.

I have fished the Tal twice. I caugt kings with a 8wt and floating line. I took a spare spool with Tenny 300 but never had to get it out. If you fly all the way up to the lake you start on the creek. It's very shallow and we frequently had to walk out raft as it would drag a lot. Once you get to the confluence that wasn't a problem but it still was shallow enough for floating line, with the exception of a few deep holes. We passed those up because you could see the fish everywhere else. Lots of fish.

First trip was last week of June. Lots of kings, rainbows and on the creek some really good grayling. Second trip was last week of July. Lots of reds, pinks, a good number of kings, a few chum, and on the last day a few silvers. Rainbow fishing was way off that trip.

My standard line is floating with about 10' of mono leader. If that's not getting down fast enough or when the surface current is interrupting a drift I go to straight mono. I don't even own a sinking line.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    Water is super low already, might be ankle deep by July if we get no rain. Lots of ash too from the Redoubt eruptions.
    I know things are pretty dry right now up there according to adn.com. Hope you get some rain. How does the ash affect things? How deep is it? Do the fish care? I was thinking of bringing a dusk mask.

well honestly for kings...I have 2 options I toss around and have both systems.

One is the rio versi tip..works well. Has a floating tip, and up to a heavy fast sink tip for it.

The other is a teeny t300 and teeny t400 they both also work extremely well.

Lastly I carry some leadcore line, cut into 1' pieces up to 3 or 4 feet long....I can add these if needed to fine tune my depth. Works very well.

learn to shoot these lines not cast them. I struggeled with this to begin with even on a 10wt loomis mega rod the t400 can be not so much fun to fish if you try and cast the thing all day LOL!

So, those are my two options, the rio may suit your needs better not quite knowing what you need. A spool of leadcore and some connectors for it also go a long way to tweaking your setup.

Default +1 Rio Versitip

I've had good luck with an 8-wt sink-tip on the Anchor River. Like Dan says, the shorter the "sink" segment, the easier the casting. I use Rio's Versitip
    http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?fmCategory=10, which gives several sink rates to choose from, depending on the depth/current.

Switching tips is simple. The connection though does make for a hinge type effect that feels wierd at first. Landing a good fish makes it better though.

Good luck on your trip.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 03-16-2010 at 23:14.