Thread: Nova, Chugach or Nenana?

Default Nova, Chugach or Nenana?

Looking to do the three canyon raft trip on Six Mile Creek and was wondering what everyone's thought's were on the mentioned guides. Thanks!

Chugach Outdoor Center, is The best......

My only experience has been with NOVA. The trip I went on had two boats with clients, a safety boat to scoop up swimmers, and the shuttle driver standing by at the knarliest rapids with a throwbag from shore. I'm not sure if the other outfitters provide this level of support, but if I swam in the third canyon I'd feel much better knowing the level of support that was there for me. Of course that's after the fact.....as you go ***** over tea kettle after hitting a huge wave and you're in the air upside down thinking "OMFG, I'm going in" your only concern is getting back in the boat.

I had a great time, I didn't swim (although 2 guys in the front of my boat did), and the swim/float test at the start and floating the last half mile or so before the takeout in a drysuit is fun.

Have a blast and post a trip tale!

Default 6-mile

Well for what its worth-- Have known and worked with the owners of both of these companies for close to 30 yr.- whom ever you pick will provide you with State Of The Art Rafts and other expedition quality equipment, experience, safety, and a trip of a lifetime!! safe boating
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER

Aren't Chugach Outdoor and Nenana Raft tied together somehow? I thought they had some sort of partnership going. Checking out their websites, I see Nova's prices are a wee bit less.

I don't know if either of them has a significantly better Sixmile operation, but Chugach Outdoor Center has a permanent location right near the takeout. That might make logistics a bit simpler for their clients. They have all been doing this for a number of years, and have good reliable records for both safety and fun.

Default Nova

I had a great trip with NOVA this time last year. It was an awesome float and the service and safety was top notch.

-hiker

Nova is very experienced and safety oriented.

Speaking of 6-mile....

Does someone have a link to the site with the water level gauge? I think it might have been NOAA, but I cant find it now.

Thanks!

Oh And another thumbs up for NOVA! Hit it with them in June 08 and plan to do the same this year!

Thats it! Thanks Jim!

Looks like 6-mile is just right! Hope water levels hold until I get back into town in a couple weeks!

Between 10' and 10.5' was my favorite level back when I was doing this a lot. Plenty of water for a good thrill, but not so much you loose all the eddies if someone swims.