Thread: bottom paint removal

Default bottom paint removal

with the long weekend coming up i was thinking of removing the bottom paint on my boat. it is already flaking off in some pretty good sized chunks. from what i can tell whoever did the paint in the first place didnt do any prep on the hull before painting. the fiberglass looks smooth and shiny under the paint so is the a spray or something i can buy that will take off the paint but wont damage the finish? thanks again!!

I don't know of an easy way to get it off. I tried with a disc sander....... Good Luck!!! You'll be covered black but wear a respirator!!! I gave up on mine and took it down to Mike @ the Homer boat yard. They will lift it off the trailer and hydroblast it. I had mine repainted so I'm not sure what the gel coat will look like after it's done. If anyone has ever made any gel coat repairs to the bottom of you're boat it may be a good idea to recoat and hide them. I had them recoat mine. Not because of repairs. I figured someday I may need to pull it up on the beach on sand/gravel to work on it. The bottom paint should take some of the abuse before anything touches the gel coat. They say you get five years out of the paint even on the trailer. I have had mine painted now for three years and the paint still looks great.

Chemical strippers are available for removing bottom paint. Here's one example.

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/inter...586-50905.html

Can't vouch for how well they work, though. Also, I expect it will get pretty messy--respirators, rubber gloves, tyvek suits, etc.

I beleeeeeve........ once the bottoms been painted, its painted,-- the days of molded gel coat are over. Mike at HBY (235-7158) ( my number for many years) will sandblast the old crap off leaving a perfect etch to apply paint to*.* beats laying on your back with a sander.....***that taste lasts for days***and back then with a smoke. mmmmmmm tasting it now. But any way, if you see shiny gelcoat under the flakes, it wasent preped very well and needs to be done right. a good job will last for years. how long....what paint.. how often, is a whole new topic.....cheers and happy scraping (or for get it and go use it

I prepped my hull with Easy Off oven cleaner and a pressure washer. It took 80% of the old paint off. My painter liked it. Spray it on and let it sit, then wash it off.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it