Thread: O’brien Creek trail

Default O’brien Creek trail

Just wondering if anyone has traveled the 4-wheeler trail from O’brien Creek to Haley Creek and if it is passable, or if it was hit with slides again this spring?

Default Last year

Unfortunately i think i may have to walk or ride my bicycle down the trail. I almost took a dirt nap last year with the trail being so bad. I gave it thought to doing a charter this year but dont really wanna cough up the dough. Its a shame that the trail is so bad. I would be more than happy to go down there with a bunch of guys to do trail maintenance. That being said, I'm not an engineer or anything.

anyone else been down yet?

I've always been lucky enough to weasle my way into a friends boat, but even splitting the gas bill last year was too much...so I'm trying to do it a little cheaper this year and use the trail.

any updates on trail conditions through the slide would be appreciated

if its anything like last year will be an easy ride down the trail.

yep - while in the boat last year I saw lots of wheelers past the slide and at haley creek

Still looking for some eye-witness accounts for this year - anybody been yet?

Yep, last year the trail was good, only spot I can remember that was a little hairy was the small creek with the big rock on the north side. Easy going in, but a B!TCH coming out with a cooler full of fish. You never know what Mother Nature did to the trail over the winter and this spring.

what works better - a meat trailer or putting the cooler on your racks?

I'd guess the trailer since center of gravity is probably lower????

Question Trail was good???

Quote Originally Posted by REMF View Post
    Yep, last year the trail was good, only spot I can remember that was a little hairy was the small creek with the big rock on the north side. Easy going in, but a B!TCH coming out with a cooler full of fish. You never know what Mother Nature did to the trail over the winter and this spring.
    ARE YOU SERIOUS? I went last June and remember the slide which had gotten really nasty. So much so that i had to lean quite aways to the wall side to keep my wheeler on the ground. Also there was a big sink hole somewhere on the trail, among other nasty hazzards. Did somebody by chance do some trail work after i went?

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    ARE YOU SERIOUS? I went last June and remember the slide which had gotten really nasty. So much so that i had to lean quite aways to the wall side to keep my wheeler on the ground. Also there was a big sink hole somewhere on the trail, among other nasty hazzards. Did somebody by chance do some trail work after i went?
    We went at the end of June last year and had no problem, other than the big rock at the small creek. (with a large cooler full of fish)

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    what works better - a meat trailer or putting the cooler on your racks?

I'd guess the trailer since center of gravity is probably lower????
    I put my cooler in a meat trailer and this has worked well for me. Had very little trouble last year traveling the trail.

Has anyone been down the trail this year? Would be nice to get a trail report so I can plan my trip.

CubeCove

Default Remf

So i take it the lanslide area had been cleaned up? That was the toughest spot for me. I almost had to winch myself out.

Just returned. The trail is the same as last year - no new slides. I coached my two lady friends through the tough spots and they did just fine. The key is to go sloooooow through the rough spots. My friend always wanted to "gun it" when she got nervous. I hammered the message that she would get hurt if she keeps that up! Those sticky spots are no place for a heavy throttle.

We went all the way to Haley Cr. Anyway, it's just the same as I remember it last year. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Just returned. The trail is the same as last year - no new slides. I coached my two lady friends through the tough spots and they did just fine. The key is to go sloooooow through the rough spots. My friend always wanted to "gun it" when she got nervous. I hammered the message that she would get hurt if she keeps that up! Those sticky spots are no place for a heavy throttle.

We went all the way to Haley Cr. Anyway, it's just the same as I remember it last year. Good luck.
    Thanks for the info/update "J". how was the fishing? Hope you and your friends did well.

The dipping stunk - bad. Water came up big time. I gave a report in "Chitina reports". Good luck.