Thread: Anchor hangs up on trailer when launching...

Default Anchor hangs up on trailer when launching...

I own a weldcraft oceanking and have to remove my anchor from the front everytime I launch or retrieve the boat. If I don't it will catch the front roller. Does anyone else with a hewescraft or weldcraft have this problem? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

Default lots of people have this problem

I do also............have to take anchor off when launching.......the steeper the ramp and the closer the anchor is to the bow......the worst the hang up. My neighbor with a 27' Trophy has same problem......Not sure there is a solution except for the anchor to be mounted higher (not farther out) so that is above the "drag profile" of the hull as it passes the trailer roller.

Default me too

If I don't take my anchor out of the way it's ugly. Also when trailering my anchor crashes right into the front roller tearing it up more. Did I mention ugly... I think the cure is to lower that roller.

If I lower the roller, the eyelet that I hook the winch cable into will have to be above the roller. Is there any issues with trailering the boat with the roller that low?

Are you talking about the anchor hitting anchor roller that's mounted on the bow, or hitting the bow stop on the trailer?

The Bow stop on the trailer.

Default anchor

The answer is to lower the bunks on the trailer. This will allow the boat to float sooner and should correct most of the problem.

I have this problem too, but my boat is a catamaran. I am planning on lowering the entire roller and winch set-up. I will use a small steel roller further away from the boat for the winch cable to travel on, to keep the winch pulling the boat forward instead of downwards. I think I have mine all figured out, just need more galvanized steel before I can start.

Kind of cool, because I thought I was the only guy with this issue!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default crossmember

I added (all bolt-on) a 2"x2" crossmember across the front 1/3rd part of the trailer. Installed a 12" wide roller in the center of it, and adjusted it to ride just below the keel so it didn't affect normal trailering. When I launch, the roller prevents the bow from dropping, which was the cause for the anchor hang-up. It worked fine without the crossmember when I bought the boat, but I since added a cantilever to my anchor roller so my anchor would deploy without going to the bow to shove it off. The cantilever extended the length enugh to start catching the bow stop roller.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Got Toys: That is exactly what is happening, thanks for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    I own a weldcraft oceanking and have to remove my anchor from the front everytime I launch or retrieve the boat. If I don't it will catch the front roller. Does anyone else with a hewescraft or weldcraft have this problem? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks
    There's too much weight up front in your boat. Get a 225 or put more ballast in the rear. Move your fuel tank back to where your fish hold is. Or, to save you a few bucks do what Got Toys says.

This weekend was the 1st time launching my sea runner with my anchor on the boat and it didn't hang up. But I think it's because I have a long pulpit on the front.

My Kingfisher does that too. I found if I don't back the trailer in so deep it slides off the trailer flatter and doesn't catch.

Had same problem with my Kingfisher. Got a new eye welded on apx. 8 inches below the factory eye. The winch then got lowered, end of problem. The new trailers and boats come this way now.

Thanks for the advice. I think I have a few good ideas now and will be able to solve my problem. RMKAK, if you want to buy me a new 225 that would be great!!! Your still a year+ out from getting your GC anyways, so you could use my boat in the meantime when I am work. Sounds like a great deal for both of us.
    Weldcraft Oceanking 220

I just take the anchor off and stow it . . .

Lo tech, high speed, and no velcro . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ken210 View Post
    This weekend was the 1st time launching my sea runner with my anchor on the boat and it didn't hang up. But I think it's because I have a long pulpit on the front.
    There's no way your pulpit is longer than mine.

Default Crossmember

A couple requests for an image of this crossmember. I had some old trailer bunk hardware that I used. Hope this image thing works....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Got Toys - Appreciate the picture - this seems like a quick easy fix. Now I just need time to build.