Thread: Marine Forecast just outside of Ressurection Bay

Default Marine Forecast just outside of Ressurection Bay

How does one know what the seas will be like outside of ressurection bay? I've gone down there a few times and been surprised by the large rollers once you get out of the bay. I always check the Cape Suckling to Gore Point forecast, the buoy off cape cleare, and the winds at pilot rock, but wonder if there is a more accurate way of checking the conditions before heading out. Never fun to head out with the family hoping for halibut and have to turn around and try to catch rockfish inside the bay when the seas are too rough.

Is there a better source I'm not checking for boating around the Chiswells or out towards Montague?

Thanks

Looks like winds will be strong and of the east (or so). Don't think it will be pleasant.

Go here:

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=FZAK51PAFC&type=marine

Scroll down to CAPE SUCKLING TO GORE POINT

Updates morning and evening, some on VHF
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Even in mild conditions you are going to get rollers once you leave the bay.

If your boat cand handle 4-6 foot rollers and a 2' chop on a good, you are best staying well inside the bay.

We were out by the Chiswells last Friday which wasn't a bad day, and it was 4-6 foot rollers and a 2' with the occasional 3 footer on the way back in.

Fishing on the W side of Aialik you can get out of the snot, but it can be rough getting out and back.

We were out near the Chiswells last Saturday and the seas were rough enough to make fishing difficult. I'd estimate 6' rollers with some a hair bigger. Only saw 3 other boats out there not counting the tour boats. Running through the water wasn't too bad (have a decent sized boat). It was just tough to fish with the big swells. A couple spots had "confused seas" and it made things tougher. I think the marine forecasts are the way to go. I was wondering if someone new of a different site or a way to get the bigger picture for an area.

Western,

Was that you in a yellow Hewescraft ? I think I saw you catching some air out there !

Default 6 hour graphical

here's a site i use quite a bit:

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/gfefcst/index.php

choose significant wave height on the drop down menu then choose cook inlet susitna valley from the other drop down menu. it gives a great visual on the predicted waves and where.