Thread: affordable caribou hunt for kids?

Default affordable caribou hunt for kids?

when i get back from iraq in august, my 11 yr old daughter wants to go caribou hunting. my limited experience is that to get away on a drop off hunt, it's a minimum of 2 grand no matter how you slice it. it's a little tough to pay double that and take her out for that experience. maybe i'll have to, or maybe we'll just stick to local smaller stuff. i'm not real motivated to take her out on a steese hwy caribou hunt. there's just too many stories of behavior i would rather not expose her to. any suggestions?

I can feel your concern about paying double. I took my daughter on her first caribou hunt, a fly out, drop off when she was 13 and do not regret one penny. It was a great experience and the picture of the smile on her face after taking a bull is priceless.
    I'm going to do it again this year.
    Since you are up north, have you thought about all the youth moose hunts drawings? that might be a less expensive way to go. What about driving up to Coldfoot and getting dropped off outside the 5 mile corridor? That might be an option but I don't kow who does it.
    Be safe over there!

Default caribou hunts

Ok i have a couple ideas but you will prob need to do more research. First is goin to detla and hunting down there around fort greely. i know this is a no motorized area but i think you can ride bikes out there. i had a couple buddies do the hunt a few years back and they got 3 smaller bulls but it was there first caribou. The other option is do get a boat and go up the salcha dont know much about that hunt but i remember seeing things on here last year about it. i know the steese you said you didnt want to do but i did the fall hunt last year on the 14 i think it was and it was the day it was closing and it wasnt bad at all. There was others up there but not like i thought it would be. The winter hunt on the other hand i will never do again probably just way to many people. well hope this helps and i to cant wait ot get back from the desert but i dont think im getting back till sept time frame. Then ill take my 6 and 4 year olds out duck hunting. good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

matt