Thread: New Ruger won't eject shells easily

Question New Ruger won't eject shells easily

I have a new Ruger m77 that I took to the range today, and although the thing shoots very well it is ridiculously hard to eject shells out of. I can run cartridges through it just fine if I don't pull the trigger, but after firing a shot I have to pull as hard as I can to get the bolt to pull backwards. the gun is about 2 years old, but has just been sitting in my safe until this week when I finally got a scope mounted on it.

I am woefully uneducated when it comes to the inner workings of firearms. What is my problem here? I'm assuming it's something pretty basic. Is this something I can have taken care of easily? Something I need to take to a gunsmith?

It sounds like a poorly formed chamber to me. I had a similar problem with a BLR 308 and took it to 3 smiths who had no clue but the forth polished the chamber and all was well. I could be wrong but thatís my guess.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I have a new Ruger m77 that I took to the range today, and although the thing shoots very well it is ridiculously hard to eject shells out of. I can run cartridges through it just fine if I don't pull the trigger, but after firing a shot I have to pull as hard as I can to get the bolt to pull backwards. the gun is about 2 years old, but has just been sitting in my safe until this week when I finally got a scope mounted on it.

I am woefully uneducated when it comes to the inner workings of firearms. What is my problem here? I'm assuming it's something pretty basic. Is this something I can have taken care of easily? Something I need to take to a gunsmith?
    That one is TOO EASY. You got some diaper fumes in there, and rusted the chamber.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Brian, let me have at it....I'll fix her up for ya

Reloads or factory ammo? I will assume factory. If so, I would call Ruger and I bet they will ask you to ship the rifle to them and they will fix it for free and then return it to you for no charge other than the shipping to them. They might even send you a prepaid shipping label if you ask real nice
    But even if they don't, I would send it to them as they are the experts.
    Tennessee

Don't count on Ruger being the experts. I sent them my Hawkeye Alaskan 3 times and they never did fix it. Also, if you do send it to them, count on about a 2 month wait before you get it back. Then another 2 months the second time, and so on...

I know a lot of people really like Ruger, but my opinion of them is they can't make a decent rifle in the first place, and then they can't and/or don't want to fix it after the fact.

If you have a bit of money, I would take it to a gunsmith before I would send it to Ruger.

Have to agree with Smitty on this one. If the gun extracted spent casings before you put it up for two years then I would suspect it to be simple like surface rust or even some kind of dried/hardened lubricant in the chamber. If you bought the gun new and stored it for a couple of years before its first firing then definitely check the chamber and clean with solvent, Gun Scrubber, etc. as the factory certainly coated the chamber before it left.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Have to agree with Smitty on this one. If the gun extracted spent casings before you put it up for two years then I would suspect it to be simple like surface rust or even some kind of dried/hardened lubricant in the chamber. If you bought the gun new and stored it for a couple of years before its first firing then definitely check the chamber and clean with solvent, Gun Scrubber, etc. as the factory certainly coated the chamber before it left.
    He never said it extracted spent casings before he put it up. He said he had it for 2 years before he put a scope on it and shot it.
    Tennessee

I'd have to guess some kind of chamber issue. I'd attempt a good cleaning and try it with different brand of ammo. I've rarely had cases that weren't quite up to snuff and were difficult to extract but they are out there.

If that doesn't work...
    For this kind of thing I'd just drop it off at the local gunsmith unless it was something serious or expensive.

A chamber polish is pretty simple and low$$$. Not worth the aggravation and time to send it in to Ruger(IMHO). A real gunsmith is better at this sort of thing anyway.

Alright, sounds like I need to take it to a gunsmith and let them have a go at it.

I'm guessing that a simple cleaning won't suffice, but maybe I'm wrong. It's not simply "sticky" when I try to eject a shell - I have to pull as hard as I can, sometimes multiple tries before I succeed.

All Remington factory ammo.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

I would imagine any kind of a burr or rough spot in the chamber would cause that. Is there any damage to the fired brass? Scratches etc?

That is how my BLR was, I was thinking it was gonna rip the rim off the case as I pounded the lever open. There were no marks on the brass and some would pop right out while others were very hard, no rhyme or reason to why.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a similar problem with a kimber .223. I even had one round get stuck in the chamber. (the extractor pulled a chunk of brass off) I still don't know why.

I hate to guess how many Ruger 77's that I've had in my hands over the last 30+ years and can't remember ever seeing a Ruger with a bad chamber from the factory. I'm also gonna side with Smitty on this one. Something foreign in the chamber is hanging on to the spent rounds.

More than likely a good soaking in almost anything followed by spinning a tight fitting cloth patch in that chamber would fix it. If not I would take it to a well respected gunsmith before I'd send anything to the factory. The guy fixing your gun at the factory today could very well be the same guy that was stamping numbers on your pork and bean cans at the grocery store last week. How do ya know? Either way your gunsmith is interested in quality and the dude at Ruger is being pushed to get as many busted guns out the door in a days time as possible!

Let us know how this comes out!

If your shooting reloads they sound a bit hot. If your shooting factory ammo then you have a tight or dirty chamber. Dirty can be cleaned and tight can be polished. If your shooting one of your buddies secret loads stop shooting them.

MM

As I mentioned above, these are factory rounds. I suppose it could be rusted in there, but I'd be surprised. The gun was placed in my safe right after I bought it, and none of my other guns have ever had similar problems or noticable rusting.

Any recommendations on a gunsmith? Are there any locally here in Eagle River?

These forum sponsors are well spoken of but I have not used them.

Alaska Custom Firearms. Call Aaron or Steve at (907) 349 GUNS or stop by their 8225 Old Seward Highway shop in South Anchorage.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I bought a Ruger M77 in 270WSM a year or so ago and the exact same thing happened to me. I took it to Arctic Gunworks in Fairbanks to take a look at it, he said it had a burr in the chamber, needed to be sent back to Ruger! I made SW take it back and refund my money!