Thread: Handloads for the WW 457 Mag

Default Handloads for the WW 457 Mag

Does anyone have any hand loading information for the Wild West Guns 457 mag?
    Gave a friend 100 Remington 405 grain bullets and a pound of IMR 3031 for his birth day just knowing this must be a workable combination but did not realize he had no loading data.
    I have a .450 Alaskan and it's best loads are with the 3031 using that bullet.
    Barns also lists it as an accuracy load for the .450 Marlin with a 400 grain bullet.
    Thanks
    Ron

I would use 45-70 data and work my way up to something the gun likes. The 457WWG will still shoot 45-70s and as I understand it the 457 case is just a bit longer so I would treat it like a 45-70 wildcat.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hey Ron.

Glad you are alive & kicking. Guess the old dodge survived the ride home???
    There is a little load Data on Hodgon's site I believe. Maybe you could see how much more they feed it than the 45-70 & use that with the IMR. I would also think WW Guns would have some info. As was said, I believe it's the 45-70 with about .120" added to it. Not much more omph than the hot 45-70 stuff as I understand it, but a little.
    I think the owner of WW or one of the employees posts on here occassionaly.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Reloading data

Yes we have reloading data on file at the shop and will get you a copy if you ask. You may also try one of the new Hodgon reloading manuals as I belive they are listing the 457 now. As for loads I have not reloaded any for my 457 but a close friend of mine says that the best performance comes from loads using H 4198, dont hold me to that but I'm pretty sure thats what he told me.

Default Reloading the 457

Please consider this a request for the loading data you mentioned you have.
    You can ping me at my personal email address for my snail mail address. I don't mind my email out on this list;
    fastoldpastor@yahoo.com

I made my friend the gift of the IMR 3031 because it's the powder I use for my 450 Alaskan which makes nice neat groups at 100 yards with 67 grains under the Remington 405 grain bullet.
    I didn't think there would be a lot of difference in pressures but did not want to suggest a load for a cartridge I'm not familiar with.
    Thanks for the help -
    Ron