Thread: CI Tides are ripping now what do i do?

Default CI Tides are ripping now what do i do?

Some of the days i will be up July 14-24 the tides will have a huge swing. When the tides get to ripping full bore can you still fish? We have down riggers and want to hit the salmon as well. Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated!

People do well for Halibut, you just have less time to fish. I have trolled for salmon once in a big tide on a charter, incoming, and we did just fine for kings anyway, three kings on the boat before heading out for halibut.

Time your fishing around slack tide. Spend the time during the rips to motor between locations.

The best trip I had on a charter out of Homer was during high tidal activity. When I couldn't hold bottom with a 5# sinker I quit fishing. But once the tide slowed down and I could hold bottom we had very active feeding on the chicken hole we were fishing. I lost count but figured I hooked over 20 halibut. I kept throwing them back hoping for a big one while the other folks were landing there's. I believe we had a full group on that boat, 16 people and imagine we must have hooker nearly 100 fish that day.

So don't worry about the tide change. Strong tides put the bait fish on spin cycle, and the halibut love feeding in those conditions.

I didn't see if you were taking a charter or if you were taking your own boat, but if you do take your boat, be careful where you anchor. Lost our anchor last year in the rocks around Elizabeth Island thanks to the nastiest tide of the summer. I will say though, fishing was HOT.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

When the tides are moving....move closer in and use a chum bag with lots of scent...it works........or drift use the engine to slow you down......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

My buddy who lives in Homer has a 25ft Pro Apallo ocean boat that was made in Ninlichik so we will have our own boat. When the tide gets ripping would that be a good time to fish the kelp for Butts? How does one fish salmon when the tide gets cruising? We will have down riggers.