Thread: National Parks Service gun restrictions may be lifted!

Default National Parks Service gun restrictions may be lifted!

I just got this from GOA and it looks like the gun laws of the States where National Park land lays will be the law within the park. I am thinking this will allow cancelled carry in the Parks but also open carry of hand guns and long guns as in the rest of Alaska.
    If your not part of GOA and love your gun rights you should join up!!

Victory at Last!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Good news!

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill today that included an amendment to repeal the gun ban on National Park Service (NPS) land and wildlife refuges.

The amendment, sponsored by Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) and attached to a credit card industry reform bill, passed the House overwhelmingly by a vote of 279-147.

For decades, law-abiding citizens have been prohibited from exercising their Second Amendment rights on NPS land and wildlife refuges, even if the state in which the land is located allows carrying firearms.

With some limited exceptions for hunting, the only way to legally possess a firearm anywhere in a national park is by having it unloaded and inaccessible, such as locked up in an automobile trunk. A Bush administration regulation partially reversed the ban, but that action was singlehandedly negated recently by an activist judge in Washington, D.C. The Department of Interior decided not to appeal that ruling.

Senator Coburn believes, like you do, that Americans should not be forced to sacrifice their Second Amendment rights when entering NPS land and wildlife refuges.

GOA worked with Coburn on an amendment that simply allows for state and local laws -- instead of unelected bureaucrats and anti gun activist judges -- to govern firearm possession on these lands.

The anti-gun leadership in both the House and Senate went berserk and fought to keep the Coburn amendment from being attached to the underlying bill. Sparks were flying on the floor of the House of Representatives today.

Anti-gun Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) whined that a "very good" credit card bill had been "hijacked" by the Coburn amendment. To this, Rep.
    Rob Bishop (R-UT) pointed out that gun control is the policy of tyrants, as evidenced by the British attempt to confiscate firearms at Lexington and Concord in 1775.

Congressional leaders and entrenched bureaucrats have fought GOA over the NPS gun ban for the past eight years.

But your activism has finally broken through. The late Senator Everett Dirksen said, "When I feel the heat, I see the light!" Well, you have applied a lot of heat. Members of Congress know that they oppose your Second Amendment rights at their own peril.

As it stands today, both houses of Congress have now passed the Coburn amendment -- and President Obama is expected to sign the provision into law (only because it is part of a larger credit card bill that he really wants).

So, congratulate yourself for winning this long, hard battle. GOA was the leading, and often only, national gun group involved in this fight.
    You involvement was absolutely vital to achieving this win.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Good... I'm not from the USA so it always seemed odd to me that you could carry a concealed weapon around town (depending on the state) but not in a national park, where you might actually get mauled by a grizzly bear. So is this official now? Does this mean you can pack heat when you go to Denali NP this summer?

Outstanding! Its about the only thing he will do so far that is the right thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    So is this official now? Does this mean you can pack heat when you go to Denali NP this summer?
    Still needs Obama to sign it which he will only do because itís attached to his own credit card reform bill and he canít remove it.

Packing this summer would depend on when it goes into effect, some are affective as soon as they are signed but most have an effective date in the wording.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It's gunna pass.... AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    ....... Does this mean you can pack heat when you go to Denali NP this summer?
    Only if you hold it sideways when confronted by a grizzly

If it passes, it won't go into effect until early 2010.......... long enough for the usual suspects to file for another worthless, time-consuming injunction.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    If it passes, it won't go into effect until early 2010.......... long enough for the usual suspects to file for another worthless, time-consuming injunction.
    Donít see how they are gonna stop it, how do you file an injection against a law? As I understand it they would need a constructional test case where someoneís rights were violated by the law to have standing to contest a law duly pasted by Congress, US House, and the President. If they pull that off then all the Stateís gun laws would also be in trouble. This is not just a rule change like last time.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Obama just put his name to it so we are good to go!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

First off, GOA never met a pro-gun action it couldn't take sole credit for, which is BS. Larry Pratt needs to stop patting himself on the back and learn to play nice with others on his own side.

It takes effect in February 2010 and the only thing that might limit it are internal NPS regulations, though they'd be setting themselves up for a fight with majorities in Congress if they try to get too hinky.

Does anyone know if this effects all carry or just concealed? I have heard it both ways but really do not want to read the whole thing to find out first hand. I sure hope it effects all carry/posession.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    Does anyone know if this effects all carry or just concealed? I have heard it both ways but really do not want to read the whole thing to find out first hand. I sure hope it effects all carry/posession.
    The law as written says "firearm per state law". It doesn't say concealed or even "handgun".

So in Alaska that means: Open or Concealed, Permitted or not, long gun or handgun.