Thread: Wrangell St. Elias National Preserve

Default Wrangell St. Elias National Preserve

Heading out for the Memorial Day weekend to Wrangell St. Elias to hunt black bear and griz. This will be my first trip to the area and my hunting partner has hunted the area several times in the past. Any tips, advice, success stories this year would be great.

Default which part of the preserve?

Which part are you going to--near McCarthy, Nabesna, etc.? I have been to Nabesna a couple times. Saw lots of grizz sign, but never actually saw a bear. Didn't see any sign of blackies. According to the ranger station at Slana, blackies aren't too common in the area. Either way, it's a beautiful area. Good luck to you.

Couple years ago I flew into the Wrangs out of McCarthy saw a huge blackie while sheep hunting. Never made a play on him, but I know of another guy in that area that killed one a week or so after I was in there. Could have been the same bear, who knows.

Smile

Well, Wrangell Mountains are full of black and grizzly bears. I have only been there in the Fall, but obviously there are there in the Spring as well. I have seen black bear walking on the road to McCarthy. Hiking off the road we watched black bear and grizzlies on the hillsides. And flying in we shot a big black bear. The wrangells are filled with bears with very little hunting pressure because people like to shoot the large coastal brownies apparently. Also there are a lot of thick brushy creek valleys in the Wrangells so they are not as easily harvested. So I hope you find a good spot!!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I've spent several weeks in the north Wrangells and have never seen a black bear, but have seen plenty of grizzlies. I suspect there are quite a few more blacks on the south side.