Thread: Seward hwy

Default Seward hwy

Any thoughts on running the seward hwy to try and glass some blackies? We are headed down to Anchorage to do some fishing and we would like to find a bear or 2. I have heard there are some down there, but was wondering if y'all had any advice on headed somewhere else or just stick to that plan. This will be the first time I've hunted that far south. I've been skunked up here in the interior and am going to try something new. Any thoughts?

It's certainly worth a try, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of competition. I shot one off the highway 2 weeks ago.

Brett

thanks Brett. i thought we would just get down there and put some time behind the glass and hope for the best. thanks for the words of encouragment.

Remember that you must be 1/2 mile or more from the highway before you shoot a bear with a rifle or a bow.

Default ??

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Remember that you must be 1/2 mile or more from the highway before you shoot a bear with a rifle or a bow.
    And where did you find that information ??

It's a Chugach State Park regulation, I found it when I was brown bear hunting last spring over near Bird Creek. It's about half way down the page. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/rules.htm

good looking out! thats some good info to have. thank you.

Default What about Chugach National Forest

After Girdwood you are in the National forest. Does anyone know if they have a similar rule?

thanks,

What about Chugach National Forest
    After Girdwood you are in the National forest. Does anyone know if they have a similar rule?

thanks,

I have never read anything as such regarding Natl. Forest land. I am sure that would stick out in my mind. I make a point to reads the regs cover to cover when I get them. I may forget some things as time passes though.

When in doubt refer to the regulations just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    thats 4 shure, just talked to a fella that got a $500.00 fine 4 haveing his station less than a 1/2 mile off the road.....ouch.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Default Off the road?

I was wondering if there was a distance requirement for being off the road. I called Fish and Game a year ago and asked this specific question and was told that as long as I was off the road I was fine. It sure would be nice if they had educated people answering questions from the public, especially when large fines and game violations are the consequences of being misinformed.

There's a difference between being off the road on say, the Glenn Highway and the Seward Highway so his answer was for the most part correct. The regs state that you cannot shoot on, from, or across the driveable surface of any constructed road or highway. I believe each park has it's own set or rules so make sure you check them before heading out to hunt.

Default hunting

There is a big difference between a state park and national forest.You cannot give a blanket answer to this Like you have to be 1/2 mile from the road.It gives the wrong impression...Everyone please read the regs where you are hunting and have a great season .

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    thats 4 shure, just talked to a fella that got a $500.00 fine 4 haveing his station less than a 1/2 mile off the road.....ouch.

500.00 bucks thats way steep for a fine for that infraction. You are better off shooting some one!

In my case, I specifically asked the person I was talking to about hunting off the Seward Highway, in Unit 14C, and in the park. I was misinformed. It is definitely in the State Park regs though. I'm just glad I never saw one close off the highway to go after.