Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Shape 2009; Who's ready?

Default Sheep Shape 2009; Who's ready?

Just thought I'd post to see if anyone is "in-training" yet this year. As if last year didn't kick my rear-end enough (I had back surgery), this year I had both knees carved on and yet another back surgery. Come hell or high water, I'll crawl up the mountain if need be. There's just something about the high country, when it calls, you must obey!

Planning on doing some hikes this weekend and I have been riding my bike around. I think my quads shrank after the knee carving (dual meniscal tears) so I need to muster up some energy/pain relievers for I am committed, no pain no gain, right?

Aside from the above, I have incorporated stretching, lunges, push ups and wall squats to add to my regime. When I head out for my 1st inagural hike this weekend, I'll be adding 40 lbs to the pack to stimulate the senses or flat out knock me off my game, whichever comes first.

Here's to all you die hard sheep hunters, best of luck for '09, come back with big grins, full packs & pictures/stories of your trials & tribulations!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Been running for the last 6 months and now that the snow is almost gone I will be doing some hiking and backpacking. I've got a DCUA sheep tag to fill and need to do everything in my power to fill it. Taking my ex g/f (wife) with me too so she has been training as well. Can't wait for fall to get here!!!

Default getting there...

The Air Force tells me I'm 91% fit as of last Thurs. But the test did not include climbing up mountains, so I still have some work to do...

Default Fat and lazy...

but would do the hunt tomorrow! First couple of days would kick my butt, but would be good thereafter! Going to start hitting the bike during the summer and climb a few mountains here in the TMA. I haven't got into shape for the past 5 years, so figure I better do something!

Yup, we're getting ready to get ready...

Got three of us going up to the Brooks Aug. 6
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I find that it's easier if you make mountains a lifestyle rather than a training regime. There's no reason to stop hiking or climbing in the winter, particularly if you enjoy skiing as well. I'm not in the best shape of my life by any means, but I'm probably in as good of shape as I was at the end of last hunting season. I don't expect that I'll do much sheep hunting of my own this fall, but I will be a sherpa for a friend with a Ship Creek tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I find that it's easier if you make mountains a lifestyle rather than a training regime. There's no reason to stop hiking or climbing in the winter, particularly if you enjoy skiing as well.
    +1 on that, I spend a good deal of the winter hiking thru the mountians to snowboard and i find it keeps me in good shape. Now that summers here i trade in the snowboard boots for hiking boots. I also try to bike 3-4 miles a day after work. Gotta get ready to take on those mountians, them sheep/goats arent gonna come to you.

Default Sheep shape started 6 months ago

I am not in what I would call sheep shape yet. I started training seriously about 6 months ago. I have dropped about 35 pounds now. I want to be a lean-n-mean 175 pounds when I step off the plane in sheep country.

If anyone is looking for a good place to find workouts; check mountainathlete.com. get ready to kick your own butt.

I have completed a few hikes with 50+ pounds up the local hills.

After my bear hunt, I will hike Granite tours with 75 pounds every two weeks until I head off for sheep.

I will make a thread if guys are interested in hiking the granite trail to the hot springs as a group.

I'm ready.... As long as they are on the plains of the Dakotas... And not to far from the road
    Guess it's a good thing I bombed on draw permits.
    I have to say that this spring I'm in the worst shape I've been in in 10 yrs. It's not pretty. Finally started working on it Monday. Better late than never I guess.
    My new goal is to be in the best shape I've been in in the last 10 yrs by my 50th b-day next spring. Besides, next year I'll draw here on the Kenai.

AF Hunter, you are inspiring me. I'm looking to drop at least 40#. That will get me to 179. That's about where I was a sophmore in HS playing football at middle linebacker (it was a small school).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

If anyone is looking for a good place to find workouts; check mountainathlete.com. get ready to kick your own butt.

Mountain athlete has some great workouts. The correct address is mtnathlete.com. I also like to use crossfit.com for the daily workouts there. crossfit workouts are short and to the point.

Kettle bells are a part of my training and they will work you silly.

Default Name says it all

My sheep hunt training for 2009 began 36 years agao....

I cross-country ski race in the local race circuit all winter, participate in most of the mountain races (like Mt. marathon, Bird Ridge), just recently started competing in the Crow Pass Race (PR of 4 hrs 16 minutes). Backpacking trips, core strength, etc...

I can't really specify a routine other than sweat, sweat, run and bike up mountains as hard as you can....

I really don't have any need to train with a heavy pack much. In my opinion, training with a heavy pack will only wear your knees out fast!!
    Only a handful of times a couple of weeks before my hunt, or hunt that I am guiding.

Staying in shape year round works for me. Like Brian M said, make it part of your lifestyle for you and your family, and it is easy!

Good luck all!!

Chris Wood

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshape365 View Post

I really don't have any need to train with a heavy pack much. In my opinion, training with a heavy pack will only wear your knees out fast!!
    Only a handful of times a couple of weeks before my hunt, or hunt that I am guiding.
    I fully agree. I don't train with a heavy pack either. I will do some backpacking trips a few times each summer where I will be carrying 45-55 pounds, but otherwise I don't carry a pack just to carry one when hiking. I don't find that it improves my fitness in any noticeable way, and you're right about the wear and tear on the knees. To each their own - do what works for you - but I'll save the heavy packs for the walk out.

sheepshape365 - Congrats on the great Crow Pass time! I'm hoping to qualify for next year's race by running the Lost Lake run this fall. I don't have any illusions of being competitive, but I've always wanted to be an official finisher in the Crow Pass Crossing.

Well I've started out with snowshoeing during the winter months. While at work for 2 weeks at a time I am now up to 7 miles in an hour on the eliptical with the resistance up to 80% as I don't like the treadmill too much as I would like to save my knees for future years. Now that the snow is gone and the rivers are flowing packrafting and backpacking is going to be my main way of getting into shape. Friday I'll start a 35 mile packraft bear hunt so that will also get me in shape. Honestly I don't think I would ever purposely load up my pack during the summer over 55 lbs just to train. However, I do routinely load up even for 2 or 3 day jaunts up to 55 lbs to train and an excuse to bring a VERY cushy backpacking camp. I just try to remember while I'm out there is if I can't train and have fun while I am doing it then I am not training correctly. Good luck to everyone chasing sheep or goats this year.

I think you guys mean:

http://www.mtnathlete.com/

Default No Heavy Packs?

I'm really intrigued by you guys that don't train with a heavy pack. I maintain a healthy lifestyle and exercise year round, but for several years I've really stepped it up about April. My big thing has been climbing stairs with a 65# pack. Circumstances have prevented me from doing these work-outs so far this year but I've been hitting the gym every day plus hiking the woods here in SE (about three miles here is equivalent to 10 in southcentral IMO), and am in darn good shape right now. Maybe I'll experiment and see how the hunting goes without the heavy pack work-outs. I like the idea of saving wear and tear on my knees.

Default Ready to Go

Started Ruck marches with the boots and poles and running 3 miles 3 times a week. gonna start weights here next week after memorial day weekend. Then Gonna work on the ballistics part of sighting in a new sheep rifle and testing out some other gear.

I've been working out since shortly after getting my permit results. I'm doing cardio work every day, weight training 3 times per week, and hiking in the mountains once a week (just started last weekend). My first hike was with a pretty light pack and as the summer goes on I plan to add weight until it is about 80# (we'll see how that goes). I figure if I am used to a heavy pack then when I get to the field with a 40-50# pack it won't seem that bad.

At this point I'm not ready, but if tomorrow was August 26th...I'd git 'er done!

Default Stay in shape year-round

I also try to stay in shape year-round. I try to run 50+ miles each month, and usually increase to 70+ by July. I only run every other day at most to prevent injury. 3-5 miles at a time is a decent workout, but I do push myself to improve my times. I've been especially diligent this year and ran a timed 5K (3.1 miles) in 18:58 a couple of weeks ago. That put me first in my age group (44) and 11th overall. As most of you know it takes a lot of hard work, time, disipline, and sweat to get in sheepshape so I'm very proud of my accomplishment. I don't hunt sheep but usually go to Kodiak for deer. Can a brown bear run that fast? LOL

I try to stay in shape year round too, but try a November alpine hike with your boy when he's 2 Brian! Getting out with Gun period was allot easier when he was a itty bitty and could ride on my back. I'm not what I would consider sheep shape yet but should be by August. I probably won't devote as much time to sheep this year unless I get a moose or a couple of bears before the hunt starts, Tracy was not at all pleased that our freezer went unfilled because I was "off on a glamor hunt" last year. All about meat this year.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Sweet 5k time!

Caribouman,
    That 5k time is smokin! It is all I can do to get my short stubby legs and my fat azz across the line in under 20 min for 5K. That's why I like those longer/steeper trail runs! Now that you've exposed your fitness level, I am sure someone will invite you on a sheep hunt! ;-)

Good luck this year!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast