Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul Rd Airboat outfitter?

Question Haul Rd Airboat outfitter?

Was told someone on the Haul Rd runs a Airboat from the Sag up the Iverchek. Sp?

Wondering if anyone has ever used this service, I know a plane flies out of Happy Valley but I think it was a little pricey. Thanks alot trying to put together next years hunt.

Never used him but yes, there is a guy up there If I remember right he is at mile 52. Pass pum station #2. Can't remember how much he cost.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default yes

never used him but he is above pump two.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Default airboat

The guys name is Randy Quincey. Alaskan Gold Rush Adventures, web site is airboatfishing.com Great guy. I've used him the last two years, but not this coming year. Hunting partner is buying a brand new air boat. We'll be doing it ourselves this coming year. :-)

Default Gold Rush Adventures

Top notch company. I used him this year and my friends have used him for several years. Could not be a better guy and service.

How much does he charge a person and does he take you out far enough to hunt with a rifle?

Default Cost

This year he charged $2,600.00 for a party of 4 peaple, We went up the Echooka and floated out a total of 38 miles. Plenty of mileage within the rifle area.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    This year he charged $2,600.00 for a party of 4 peaple, We went up the Echooka and floated out a total of 38 miles. Plenty of mileage within the rifle area.

Someone said he was just doing drop offs and you where having to float back ,Did he supply the rafts ?

Default Gold Rush

That is correct he does only drop offs. I had one raft of my own and we rented the other from Anchoarge. 2 people and gear per raft, leaves plenty of room and good floation for the shallows that far up river.

2600 for a party of four sounds pretty good. I'd still be bowhunting but looking to get away from the road and it's problems. Thanks alot

Anyone planning next years hunts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lancaster View Post
    2600 for a party of four sounds pretty good. I'd still be bowhunting but looking to get away from the road and it's problems. Thanks alot

Anyone planning next years hunts?
    Not to burst your bubble Jerry, but there's almost as many people on those rivers as there are on the road. Only difference is they're in boats instead of trucks. I wouldn't plan on being very far removed from other camps if you're going to use an airboat charter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Shannon View Post
    Not to burst your bubble Jerry, but there's almost as many people on those rivers as there are on the road. Only difference is they're in boats instead of trucks. I wouldn't plan on being very far removed from other camps if you're going to use an airboat charter.

Any other recommendations then? Although I enjoyed some aspects of the road. I doubt, I'd do it again without boat options. Thanks

just curious, how much does that meat weigh a pound at the above price? Is it just me or is it cheaper to Fly to Montana or Idaho, pay the non res fees and take a pack trip out? not busting on the state but starting to think there are better options. I think it is getting way out of hand in this state. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    just curious, how much does that meat weigh a pound at the above price? Is it just me or is it cheaper to Fly to Montana or Idaho, pay the non res fees and take a pack trip out? not busting on the state but starting to think there are better options. I think it is getting way out of hand in this state. JMHO

Last I checked Montana or Idaho dont have Caribou. Last time I checked wild meat is always more expensive if your a non resident. Not sure what your getting at. Any trip I have ever been on cost me more than what grocery store ribeyes would have and I've never paid a guide or thought I was taken in anyway.

I agree hunting in Alaska can be expensive for a non resident, However I couldn't put a price on my last hunt there.

If I were hunting for the cheap meat I'd have to give it up, hunting probably is the most expensive way to put meat in the freezer for most people I'm sure there are a few exceptions, I know I brought a whole Caribou, home processed and it wasn't cheap.

Eventually I'll go somewhere and hunt Elk or big Whitetails but for now Caribou have me hooked, Cant explain why, they just do.

Any other recommendations then? Although I enjoyed some aspects of the road. I doubt, I'd do it again without boat options. Thanks
    If you want seclusion up there you have to do a fly-in and even then it's not a given. Not to say that boating is a bad idea, but there's more than enough boat traffic between the airboat charter and the guys with their personal boats that there ends up being a ton of people on the rivers too. That charter might seem like a good deal, but personally I'd spend a few hundred bucks extra and do a fly-in. That's just my take on it.

Jeff

Last I checked Montana or Idaho dont have Caribou. Last time I checked wild meat is always more expensive if your a non resident. Not sure what your getting at. Any trip I have ever been on cost me more than what grocery store ribeyes would have and I've never paid a guide or thought I was taken in anyway.

I agree hunting in Alaska can be expensive for a non resident, However I couldn't put a price on my last hunt there.

If I were hunting for the cheap meat I'd have to give it up, hunting probably is the most expensive way to put meat in the freezer for most people I'm sure there are a few exceptions, I know I brought a whole Caribou, home processed and it wasn't cheap.

Eventually I'll go somewhere and hunt Elk or big Whitetails but for now Caribou have me hooked, Cant explain why, they just do.
    Well last time I checked Idaho does have Caribou and so does canada. Cant hunt them in Idaho but you can in Canada, what I am getting at is Alaska is way over the top for hunting on an average income. I/ve hunted the Haul road many times and it is worse than any road hunt in Montana.
    bought a Jet boat and now enjoy the days with all the others that bought Jet boats. Take what you spend on equipment and such in a season and I wager it is well over 1400. a year. Now who in the hell spends that and fills their freezer in Montana or Idaho? not me and not you. JMHO

Default ?

$1400? I wish that was all I spent for hunting each year. But then again, maybe not. Wouldn't be doing much hunting on $1400.

Talking

LOL I did say over 1400.00 a year. That is a conservative guess. I love hunting god help me.. Just posting an opinion

Yea I agree, I guess, Residents probably dont spend that much to fill a freezer, but I'd be flying anywhere I go and I would rather hunt Caribou in alaska than anything in Montana, but thats just for now.

I checked to fly out with an outfitter from Happy Valley it was $1200 bucks, after spending all the money to get that far I didn't have enough to fly out from there, if I was going to fly out I'd have done so from Fairbanks or somewhere I didn't have to drive 20 hours to get to.

I'd be interested in hearing about your Montana or Idaho hunts or ideas for them, they sound interesting, I dont think they be much cheaper though, But I know nothing about hunting either state.

I didn't know Idaho had caribou, thats pretty cool. Seems a diminishing herd that had only 3 animals cross into Idaho last year.

I may look into Canada but for now alaska has me, even though it stings in the pocket book it's worth it. Or maybe I just dont know any better, yet. I still think its cheaper to hunt alaska than Canada but I could be off.
    Last edited by Jerry Lancaster; 11-07-2006 at 07:00.

Here is what I would do. Call around and find a guy that is running a Pack String drop off. Get your gear and go hunt units that are open during the Rut. Learn to call Elk and have a blast. I hunted both Idaho and Montana and think both are great. I came to Alaska in 89 and have had many great hunts. It is just that I have been doing the math. The haul road is a hoot when you time the herds. Bear baiting is the bomb. Kodiak was the best time I had so far. Deer hunting with bears as your lap dogs always makes a tense moment. LOL but I loved every minute of it. As far as Canada, I would go where my buddies went years back, Ungava outfitters or look around, Quebec has a huge herd, and if you are in the lower 48 it is cheaper to go there than up here. Keep your arrows in tune and shoot straight my friend. :O)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast