Thread: Lookin for lake trout

Default Lookin for lake trout

Hey all I just moved up here from the chicago area. I'm trying to find a good lake for trout. I don't know how to fly fish and after reading this forum I think I'm going to have to learn. I live on the south side of anchorage and I'm looking for a good hole to drop some powerbait in. I was at jewel lake this morning and didn't even get a whiff. I've seen the site that tells me which lakes are stocked. I'm just wondering if any lakes are better than others. I'm looking for a place close to the house where I can catch a few for dinner. Thanks for checking out this thread and any advice is appreciated.

Who fishes for LAKE TROUT? Go down to Ship Creek and start playing in the mud. Oh yeah, you also need to get a square back canoe. We'll get you straightened out in two weeks.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

You don't have to learn fly fishing to be sucessful, but it does increase your options. Salmon eggs and power bait as well as small spinners can be effective especially on freshly stocked fish.
    Do you have a canoe or row boat?

no canoe yet but it's in my plans. I'm looking into a square backed canoe but I have to wait till I get some cash. For now I just need to get out fishing. It's calling me.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBronc View Post
    no canoe yet but it's in my plans. I'm looking into a square backed canoe but I have to wait till I get some cash. For now I just need to get out fishing. It's calling me.
    Maybe you should consider an inexpensive float-tube...in lieu of a canoe (for now).

Just about any of the Valley lakes will be a good bet for trout (rainbow).

If you are looking for trout in lakse and not Lake Trout then try Delong lake, or head out to the kelper bradley area in the valley. A canoe is not a must but it opens a lot of options. If you are looking for Lake Trout people tend to be tight lipped about lakes that produce those.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

oops I'm looking for rainbow stocked lakes. Sorry y'all I'm working on my fishing knowledge. I'm just glad I found this forum. Tomorrow I'm thinking of checking out delong lake and maybe sand lake. thanks again for the info keep it coming.

Check the emergency orders on Sand lake. They are trying to kill the pike out of this system. Therefore they have upped the limit to 10 trout, 10 dollies/char, 10 stocked salmon, and unlimited pike. If you fish at sand lake keep everything you catch. Fish and game does not want the meat to go to waste when they kill the lake this fall. Fishing will be slower at sand lake but expect bigger fish if you do catch any. My buddy who lives by the lake said that there are still 36"+ pike in the lake. good luck

I have had luck with size 0 meps at Delong lake and lots of trout around 12-14 inches. If you do not have a boat I would recomend at least knee high water proof boots to get to less preasured areas of the bank. Expect areas away from access points to be spongey and wet in nature. If you do not have knee boots and dont have much money to spend on them now, head to the salvation army or value village for cheep temporary ones.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Hey garnede thanks for the heads up on those lakes. I have some hip waders it looks like I'll be taking out. And I'll check out the website for emergency orders on sand lake. Thanks again for all of the info. Now I just have to get out there and find some fishing buddies.

Small spinners and spoons will be your friends for stocked fish. Bait wise, when allowed, I would recommend shrimp (popcorn style from supermarket). Those are kind of the go to stocker catchers. You can get into all kinds of other stuff, but those are a good start and easy on the bank account.

You find a trout yet?
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Smile Bow bait

Meal worms have proven to be the meal of choice for rainbows in every lake that I have fished in the Anchorage/Valley area. They will almost always take meal worms when you can't get them with anything else. Look for rocky areas with overhanging cover. They are coming up to spawn now. Be nice and release the hens so they can make babies for us later.

Talking Before someone beats me up!

I forgot to mention the fact that, of course, you need to check the regulations to make sure that bait is legal for use in the lake you are fishing before using my before mentioned meal worm suggestion. A lot of places in the Valley only allow one unbaited hook. Good luck. Nothing like a fresh caught trout rolled in meal and fried up nice and crisp with some potatoes and a beer on the side for supper.