Thread: Caribou Hunt 2010

Thumbs up Caribou Hunt 2010

Hey Guys ! I'm a new member here , from alabama. I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some info. on guided and/or unguided caribou/fishing/upland bird combo. hunts in AK. Any recommendations on bush pilots, particular areas, caliber selection, etc. ?? I'm doing some legwork on this hoping to find something within the budget.

You list a wide range there. You can go relatively inexpensive or go high end. For budget, the Haul Rd. is a relatively cheap caribou hunt. There are also ptarmigan up there. You have to be a certified bow hunter to hunt within 5 miles of the road. The Mulchatna caribou herd that can be accessed from Anchorage is closed to nonresidents. There is usually fish in the rivers and some of the lakes air services drop you off at. Man the options are unlimited. You can fly out of Fairbanks with Wright Air, or from fly out of Coldfoot, Bettles, Kotzebue. Doesn't help does it?

O.K. Bill, do you have anyone you would recommend as far as pilots, a particular area to go in search of wallhanger caribou? Where we can shoot birds ,(can we? ) and catch some fish that is in a remote location ? Is that typical or unrealistic due to time and other factors? We're shooting '06's and 270, strong enough calibers? Should we pack two rifles in case we bust the other up for some reason? Can we do this experience for $3k or is $5-$7k more of a reasonable price range? Will we be able to ship meat home with us or is that not typically done? I've heard its usu left for the natives ...? I have heard that the mulchatna/norhtern alaska peninsula herd pop. is at an all time low.

As non residents, probably neeed to go north to the Western Arctic Herd. I've seen some great caribou up there. Ptarmigan are up there. For what you are looking for, I'd plan on the 5-7k, that way you won't short yourself. 06s and .270s are fine for caribou. My duaghter uses a 7mm-08 and I use a 7mm rem mag. You can certainly ship meat home, you can also donate some. There is a program where you can donate it and they ship it to the processor and have it processed. If you are going to take meat home, after you get ouot of the field, clean it up, bone it out and take as much as you can put in a meat box home. Airlines limit bags and weight. My brother takes meat h ome that way every time he comes up. I'll pm you with some suggestions. If you want to consider Kotzebue, get with Walt. He posts here all the time and he runs an outfitting business there. Good guy with great info.

I would also consider a float hunt, you can fish, it will keep you mobile and you'll get to see lots more of Alaska as compared to a drop camp type hunt. Go to Pristine Ventures and talk with Larry Bartlett about doing a caribou float hunt, you won't regret it.

First of all, welcome to the forum

Contact Walt Maslen up in Kotzebue. He knows the area well and outfits many hunters up there each fall. Good guy and he will set you up. He has a website, www.northwestalaska.com and goes by the forum name "Northwestalska". Shoot him an email via his website. It may be a few weeks as he is off at his cabin for a bit. Eric Sieh of Hageland Aviation in Kotz is our favorite pilot. Great guy and he, like Walt, lives in Kotz year round. NW Alaska is a great place. Lots of caribou and fantastic fishing for trophy dollies. I have taken three float trips up there. If you lean towards a float trip, and I suggest you think about it, shoot me a pm. Happy to talk float trips with you.

Below is a link to some pictures from our float trips. Three in NW Alaska and one in SW Alaska...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...27567944/show/

A recent thread by Walt telling about him being "off the grid" for a bit...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54679

Our forum owner, Mike Strahan, has a wonderful book that would serve you well. Over 400 pages of great info on float hunting. Great read.

http://www.alaskafloathunting.net/

Hageland Aviation contact info.

http://www.hageland.com/kotzebue.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Books

Yes, you should get Mike's book "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers"
    you should also get Chris Batan's "Hunting in Alaska" and Dennis Confer's "Hunt Alaska Now" I have read all 3 and they are a wealth of knowledge and will but you on the track to getting started and answering alot of you q's.

Default Hunt Hard

Lets not forget the "Hunting Hard" series by Mark Taylor. In between some good ol' stories you'll find good information for the DIY hunter.

On the cheap and fly in just don't go well together. 3K might do it.........in a perfect world and if you have every little bit of gear already purchased. The way I fiqure when I start throwing gear in a plane I'm usually throwing about 12K worth of high end stuff and I haven't even paid the pilot yet.