Thread: Hilleberg Tarra

Default Hilleberg Tarra

First, sorry my bad english...

I have just bought a new Hilleberg Tarra.Now I'm a little bit wondering because in outer tents roof, fabric is quite loose (both sides, bethween vent cover and vestibules). I have seen pictures of Tarra and it seems that fabrics should be quite tight...

If anybody has Tarra, could you tell how tight or loose your tents roofs are?

Welcome to the forums.

I too just got a Tarra (this winter) but have not used it yet. I only set it up in my front room I don't recall it being overly loose. Does it come in contact with the inner tent? Do you have any pics? I doubt it would have left Hillebergs hands if it was not right. As you know, the tents are each hand made by one person and then setup and inspected by another. I'll be using mine pretty soon and check it out.

I have the single vestibule Jannu, which is nearly the same tent. The fabric tension on mine is taught since the poles pull on the outer shell and the inner hangs inside of that. At the vestibule the tension is created by staking. The front two points of my single vestibule are the only two required staking points. I assume the Tarra has an additional two points for the rear vestibule. In my case I stake the vestibule as the first step in setting up.

Here is a videoclip that shows how tight this Tarras roof fabrics are. When you look this tent from aside, those fabrics bethween vent cover and vestibules are really tight and profile looks like fabrics are tensioned downwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f-dWtCktlI

In my Tarra these roofs are much looser and they move even in a really mild wind. I would like to hear which is normal.

I tried to add a videoclip of my tent but didnt manage...

I would call Hilleberg and talk to them if you think there is a problem. They are great people to deal with.

I have already been in contact with Hilleberg. They said that this is "quite normal"... But I have seen so many Tarras with really tight roofs and I would like to hear other peoples experiences.

I think geodesic tents sturdy structure is based to tight fabrics and crossing poles. Tent with loose fabrics is not even closely as sturdy as one with tight fabrics.

I've read internet product reviews about the Tarra that say the tent flaps and is noisy in the wind. Honestly that didn't make sense to me since my Jannu is taught inside and out and stands firm to the wind. Maybe something's different about the Tarra.

Well, I'll be setting mine up again here soon and let you know. I remember when I set it up in the house, when clipping the tent to the poles that go over the ends of the tent I really had to pull hard since it was so tight. I can see where a loosely staked vestibule may flap in the wind but I guess that would depend on the terrain, etc.

My Tarra is tight as a trampoline. Maybe some folks aren't using the guy's

Leave you Tarra set up in the back yard for about a week to "cure it." That and check to see if you have the correct poles. The Tarra is made with such high quality control, I can't see a problem with a new tent. And I'm sure the family owned business would never make a defective product as they would feel ashamed and embarrassed. When you buy a Tarra, you're not buying from a company that has Chinese people manufacturing their products for them. They take pride in their product's quality and probably feel personally connected with their products -at least now-

I emailed Hilleberg to say thank you for making such a solid product and one of the owners replied within a day.

I have nick-named my Tarra "Beverly Hills" after the bunker at the firebase above the Do-Long Bridge in Apocalypse Now.

Snyd, Have you used your Tarra floorless? I am curious what it's weight is without the inner tent.