Thread: light tackle technique for rockfish

Default light tackle technique for rockfish

We are coming up to Alaska from North Carolina. We will be in Prince William Sound out of Valdez all of next week.

My Alaska friend with the boat has salmon and halibut tackle.

I was wondering what light tackle or fly fishing opportunities might be available at this time of the year?

I have never fished for rockfish but I am assuming that I should concentrate on kelp beds and rocky points.

I have never fished for Dolly Varden but I am assuming that they would be near where streams enter the bay.

Any suggestions as to tackle, technique, or location would be appreciated!

I haven't fished out of Valdez, but I'd look for pinnacles and rock piles in ~50' of water that drop off quickly. For setups, a light or ultralight rod with 6-10# test will be fine. I picked up some of the storm soft lures and they seem to be pretty effective, their 1 oz jigs

Another option would be to put a 4" berkley herring gulp on a hook about 18" above a small sinker. The challenge is getting such light jigs to hold bottom. You can use heavier jigs, but then you mess up the action of a light rod. I'd say if you can't hold bottom with the light jigs on the light rods, just run some 3-4 oz crippled herring, point wilson dart etc on the salmon rods. That's how we usually fish for rock fish.

Rockfish are very easy to catch if you're in the right spot, if you aren't hooking them within 15-20 minutes, change location. There lots of fun on light tackle. My boys love catching them.

Keep your eyes open and if you see some tails flipping that's a school of Black Rockfish sometimes called Black Bass (sebastes melanops), they're very willing biters even if the take is bit short.

Like their freshwater cousins many Rockfish are easy to pick up by the lip, but don't try that with a Lingcod or Cabezon!

Default pencil jigs

use 6 ounce pencil jigs of any color in 100-250 feet of water on a drop off and there will be no stopping them

Default Spin Gear

I've done well by using a spinning rod and daredevil spinning lures at slack tides. Like Paul H mentioned, finding the rock piles and pinnicals are key. Dollies take well with fry or small smolt patterns.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Default On flys

We fly fished for them with sinking tip lines and flys in about 40 ft. Could have caught them all day. If you're over is good.

Check out the link in my sig and click on the sharks on a fly rod episode. Lots of black bass action there. We were fishing Kayak Island near Cordova.

Good luck!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel