Thread: Unit 9 Brown bears

Default Unit 9 Brown bears

]I'm wanting to know if anyone has spent much time in unit 9 hunting brownies? I'm planning a trip for next spring. I really want to try to stay away from outfitters and give them their space. I'm close to making a final decision on my location and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

What do you want to know........? I spent about 24 years hunting Brown Bears in Unit # 9, Lived on Lake Clark, & Had a Lodge outside King Salmon, AK.

Default Unit 9 brown bears

I'm looking for a good bush pilot who has good knowledge of the area. I was wanting to hunt Wide Bay area but I'm not sure how much pressure there is. I'm sure you must have quite a bit of knowledge, any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameon375 View Post
    I'm looking for a good bush pilot who has good knowledge of the area. I was wanting to hunt Wide Bay area but I'm not sure how much pressure there is. I'm sure you must have quite a bit of knowledge, any help would be appreciated.
    A Bad pilot can land on the beach there, and the Super cub strips we built years ago are not usable in the spring. Worked Wide Bay for many years for Moose and Brown Bears. Expect 4 or 5 active Guide camps, expect 5 to 7 fake camps, plus expect 3 to 5 resident camps. It will look like a city when you fly in. Plus, the Wide Bay is safe Harbor for the loud Herring fleet, there can be twenty to thirty well lighted ships, with generators running. Some years the snow confines hunters to the beach. The north shore has the most open and get too able ground. I wonder if Lee's Cabin is still standing.......?

Just a question...Is unit 9 all draw? or are there general tags available for the unit?
    thanks.

See page 56 of the regulations. Permits to hunt in the CITY, of King Salmon, most of the rest is Harvest "TAG".

This is a unit 9 brownie I got pictures of last November. It was in Cold Bay 9D. I was out Ptarmigan hunting when he crossed the road in front of me at about 50 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank You HOPEAK, sounds like I may decide to go elsewhere. I guess sometimes a good spot looks the same way to everyone. Back to the drawing board, so they say.