Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Halibut Charter review

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Elmendorf AFB
    Posts
    3

    Default Halibut Charter review

    I know there are many charters to choose from out of homer so Im shopping for one. Im mainly looking for one thats not going to treat you like a greenhorn, but at the same time give advice if you need or ask for it.

    If anyone has used any I would apriciate any insight you may have. Pros and cons would be great. Price isnt really an issue.

    My dad and a friend are coming up next July and I know its soon to start looking but Im in Iraq right now so when I come home it will be time to start booking.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Josh Brooks on the "Huntress" out of Bobs trophy charters in Homer is a very very fishy guy. He has a sweet six pack (six passenger) boat with high quality gear. You guys could get the whole boat and do a custom trip, say lingcod, halibut and rock fish over a couple of days. Ive been out with him three times this spring and have had a blast loading up the freezer! Check him out.
    http://bobstrophycharters.com/

  3. #3
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Does it have to be homer?

    Are you looking for strictly a halibut trip, or do you want a combo halibut/salmon trip?

    I'd say in general, the 6 pack boats can be a better trip than the larger Deltas.

  4. #4
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default It is close to Homer

    I have only been on one charter and it was with Catch Alaska. He runs a 6 pack boat out of Anchor Point. Great captin, it was my first trip for halibut and he treated me well. We trolled for king salmon for 4 hours then hit the Halibut. I would recomend him to anyone and I will go out with him again. The price is good too.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I have only been on one charter and it was with Catch Alaska. He runs a 6 pack boat out of Anchor Point. Great captin, it was my first trip for halibut and he treated me well. We trolled for king salmon for 4 hours then hit the Halibut. I would recomend him to anyone and I will go out with him again. The price is good too.
    How'd that charter go in terms of fish? I have one with him on Memorial Day. I'm assuming there must be kings waiting to swim up the Anchor to be had.

  6. #6
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    We use Chihuly's Charters for Halibut, used them for two year so far and will continue to go back. They treat you right there, try there best to get you on some halibut. Last time we took the Glacier Bear, capt. Mark Chihuly, great guy! There not in Homer but in Ninilchik, which is only like 50-60 miles before Homer. I recommend them, can't wait to go this year again.

  7. #7
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    How'd that charter go in terms of fish? I have one with him on Memorial Day. I'm assuming there must be kings waiting to swim up the Anchor to be had.
    We spent 4 hours trolling for kings with 1 caught. We limited the boat with 6 people for halibut and I also brought back a couple of nice Cod. He had pictures of 3 kings on the day previous to our charter. I caught the largest halibut at 50# and the boat average was around 25#. I was happy, between the halibut and cod I brought home over 60 pounds of meat.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    south of the AC
    Posts
    194

    Default Captain Pete'ss

    Captain Pete's, You can't do better.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I was happy, between the halibut and cod I brought home over 60 pounds of meat.
    Certainly sounds like it was worth the cost. Thanks for the info.

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Reply - Halibut Charter Review - Ninilchuk

    We used Chihuly. Average. Wouldn't go that far to use them again.

    Chuhuly family has been around for years ... used to family outings. They'll take you out and get some halibut ... average to small and you'll go home with fish.

    The point of this reply ... you can do better. Find a few boat captains that go for the 'better than average' result. Sorry not to have a name for you. Only found about this after using Chihuly with a mediocre experience. One of the 'locals' (and not a competitor) gave me the suggestion after I explained our experience.

    Sorry I didn't ask this person for more specific recommendations as I didn't feel like returning to Ninilchuk/Homer for another experience like this.

    Felt like a production environment and the goal was two halibut per person and return home. The most excitement from the Chihuly captains was when a cod was caught and they said "you don't want that do you???" And with that tone most all said no ... and they (the boat captains) smile and say ... "ahhh .... it'll make good bait." They were happiest when they didn't have to purchase bait for the next trip.

    You definitely leave with the impression that Chihuly is one the most high-volume boat groups in the area ... you'll get the experience, but it won't be very memorable.

    Good luck and happy fishing!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    632

    Default

    If you are looking for a great outfit out of Deep Creek which is not as far a drive to Homer. I have to recommend http://www.ebbtidechartersinc.com/

    Captain Marvin and son are an amazing crew and will treat you more like family vs. a dumb@ss green fisherman. Believe me, I know. These guys will treat you to a great time on the water and you will go home with a nice sized limit! Marvin and Son are a top notch outfit and one of the most honest group of guys you will ever meet! I can't wait for my trip in July! A buddy and I bought the boat for a day! That's how much we like this crew!

  12. #12
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    If you are looking for a great outfit out of Deep Creek which is not as far a drive to Homer. I have to recommend http://www.ebbtidechartersinc.com/

    Captain Marvin and son are an amazing crew and will treat you more like family vs. a dumb@ss green fisherman. Believe me, I know. These guys will treat you to a great time on the water and you will go home with a nice sized limit! Marvin and Son are a top notch outfit and one of the most honest group of guys you will ever meet! I can't wait for my trip in July! A buddy and I bought the boat for a day! That's how much we like this crew!
    I will 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on for Capt. Marvin. A class act with great equipment
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  13. #13

    Default

    Is there something wrong with driving to Homer? There are plenty of good operations here and a lot more amenities than you'll find in the Deep Creek/Ninilchik area.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  14. #14
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Is there something wrong with driving to Homer? There are plenty of good operations here and a lot more amenities than you'll find in the Deep Creek/Ninilchik area.
    no, there is nothing wrong with homer, I dont think this post was a debate as what port was better, homer or ninilchik. The Op asked for recomendations on a charter and some folks recomended some that operate in ninilchik

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BassAssassin View Post
    I know there are many charters to choose from out of homer so Im shopping for one.
    Hmmmm. I thought they were asking for suggestions for charters out of Homer. I'm sorry for taking what they said the wrong way.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  16. #16
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Hmmmm. I thought they were asking for suggestions for charters out of Homer. I'm sorry for taking what they said the wrong way.

    they did ask for charters out of homer. As with most threads they kind of go off track a bit. If your new to the state and never been to Homer you must go. Great little town. There are some quality charters from Ninilchick to Homer for sure
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  17. #17

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by BassAssassin View Post
    I know there are many charters to choose from out of homer so Im shopping for one. Im mainly looking for one thats not going to treat you like a greenhorn, but at the same time give advice if you need or ask for it.

    If anyone has used any I would apriciate any insight you may have. Pros and cons would be great. Price isnt really an issue.

    My dad and a friend are coming up next July and I know its soon to start looking but Im in Iraq right now so when I come home it will be time to start booking.
    Try Rich Baltzer with North Country Charters, or as mentioned already, Josh with Bob's Trophy Charters. Both have been fishing Homer for years (as CHARTER CAPTAINS), both will give you as much help as you need and leave you to your business as/if you want. Bear in mind, too, that these guys, as most charter captains out of Homer, aren't chatting it up on these forums, they're too busy doing their job, catching fish with satisfied (usually return) customers. They also aren't prone to sarcasm and snide remarks.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Try Rich Baltzer with North Country Charters, or as mentioned already, Josh with Bob's Trophy Charters. Both have been fishing Homer for years (as CHARTER CAPTAINS), both will give you as much help as you need and leave you to your business as/if you want. Bear in mind, too, that these guys, as most charter captains out of Homer, aren't chatting it up on these forums, they're too busy doing their job, catching fish with satisfied (usually return) customers. They also aren't prone to sarcasm and snide remarks.
    LOL! Gee, I wonder who he's talking about!?

    And then there are the charter captains that contribute very useful information to people on these forums that aren't afraid to contribute every ounce of knowledge they have so other people can enjoy themselves out there as much as that charter captain does. And then when he's out on the water he's more than willing to share that knowledge as well.

    The problem with a lot of charter captains that have been fishing the area for years as charter captains is they lose sight of what the clients want. If you're looking for a nice personal "one-on-one" fishing experience it doesn't hurt to look around. I won't load up my boat with people you don't know to maximize my profits like a lot of them will. And I spend the whole day out there with you and don't set an agenda. If you want to go out at 5 in the morning and come back in at 10 in the evening, so be it. None of this, "WE leave the dock at 7 and come back at 5 whether you've gotten your fish or not."

    As you will see from my website my clients catch fish. And they are happy. I have had plenty of repeat customers and a lot of "word of mouth" business as well. Guess I must be doing something right, huh?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  19. #19
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwingingDutchman View Post
    I would like to cach a halibut and my friend to. How much money for that.
    You'll be looking at costs between $100 and $250. For $100 you can get a half-day charter with Alaska Coastal Marine. You'll each catch two halibut (not guaranteed, but highly likely), but both will most likely be 25 lbs or under. For between $175-$250 you can get onto a full day charter on a smaller boat where your chances of catching larger halibut will go up. You will also likely catch more fish on the smaller, more expensive charters, but the limit of halibut you may keep remains at two.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You'll be looking at costs between $100 and $250. For $100 you can get a half-day charter with Alaska Coastal Marine. You'll each catch two halibut (not guaranteed, but highly likely), but both will most likely be 25 lbs or under.
    Yeah, the Alaska Coastal Marine half day is pretty hard to beat. It's $99 for adults, $89 for seniors and only $79 for kids, so it's a great way to get the little ones out there and have a great time. A lot of time they don't have the attention span to do a whole day and you also have the possibility of hooking into something half way decent. And you never know if you might hook into a Jackpot Halibut Derby tagged fish worth $10,000. You don't have to go to where the "barndoors" are to catch one of them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •