Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking into Bait Station, what do you do?

Default Walking into Bait Station, what do you do?

This is my first year bear baiting, let alone bear hunting, and I just recently set up a bait site. I was walking into my station today(bears are starting to "hit" it, slowly) and I spooked a few blackie cubs out of a tree within 200 yards of my bait site. I started making noises and yelling as to get the bears away from me, didn't want the sow to go after me. I was wondering what you guys and gals do when walking to your site. Do you walk in quietly or make noise? I don't want to walk in quietly and have a bear charge me or walk into a grizz the area I am in is pretty brushy so its hard to see anything from a distance. But will making noises while walking to the site scare the bears away for good? Any input would be great. Thanks for the help, learned alot from this site already!

Default Walk quiet

Walk quiet and keep an arrow handy just in case.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Ok, ill do that next time, I was carrying a 300 win. mag today as I wasn't going there to hunt today just check on the bait. Next time i'll have my bow and shotgun with slugs for protection. I just wasn't sure what most do, thanks for the input.

There are way too many brownies around my bait. I walk in making as much noise as possible and with my rifle ready.

Default Slow and quiet

I sling my bow and carry my 12 ga full of slugs(buck shot is for birds) and sneak my way into my stand. I have walked in on black bears and had my partner shoot a black bear before we even got to our stands. Walking in on a Brownie is not alot of fun you just need to be ready just in case you may have to shoot be careful and go slow look around as you walk into your bait and listen you can usually hear a bear at your bait before your at it. Good luck and be prepared! Steve

Default Noise

If your just baiting for now, make noise. Let the bears know your coming out to feed them. I carry a 5 gallon bucket with bait and supplies into the bait and bump into trees with it making alot of noise. If I need more bait I'll make more trips. It is comforting to be able to just drop the bucket to get the rifle up if needed. After your done baiting tap your bucket on the way out to let the bears know your leaving. You can train the bears this way. They will typically leave the bait and return after your gone. I just don't want to put myself in a position where I feel rushed to shoot a bear. If your putting in the work, you might as well pick the bear you want to shoot. When you do go out to hunt, have a buddy go out with you until your set up and then leave tapping the bucket. Don't be surprised if a bear comes in as soon as things quiet down. Be careful if you're the only one who has baited the stand. Have your friend wear rubber boots and not to touch anything in or out except the bucket. You'll find out what works best with the bears in your area, have fun and great hunting!

Sure wouldn't want to run into that big boy! Lots good info, I'll have to try get my hunting partner to walk out once i'm set up. If you do walk in on a brownie, do they get "protective" over the bait? Or will they usually just run off? I just want to be prepared for the worst and not have to do a DLP on a brownie or end up as bear bait lol.

Some will run some will not. Each is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    Some will run some will not. Each is unique.
    Well thats somewhat comforting lol. I'll definitely either have the 45-70 or 12 gauge w/ slugs with me.

When I use to set up my bait I would set it where I could see it from a couple of hundred yards away and always carried a rifle with me. But since your already set up I'd just carry a rifle and make lots of noise going in, that's about all you can do. Be careful and go slow and you should be fine.

Alrighty guys, thanks for all the help, yeah the area my bait is in is brushy, I can't really see my bait site til I am about 100 yards away or so. I can't wait to get my first bear or atleast see the bears from my stand, with or without the bow it would be awesome. I'm planning on taking the three bear limit if I can to reduce the population in unit 16 some.

Default I walk in...

as slow and quiet as I can. I have shot more bears as I walk in then sitting on the bait. I drop bait by atv, so they know that sound. Never had any reason to spook them before i got there. I have the .375 ultra mag locked and loaded on my way in.

I plan on walking in most of my bait, I don't want someone to wander upon my trail if I use my wheeler and find my bait site(although the area has very little to none atv activity). Only time i'll use the wheeler is if I get a bear to bring it back to my truck. So plan is to walk in slow, cautious, armed and be aware. And if I can get a decent shot on a blackie on the way in, that'd be great.

As others have said, I walk EXTREMLY slow and quiet when I am within 100 yards of my station. Like Northway, I have killed many a bear sneaking in with their heads still in the bucket. As far as banging buckets around, I don't recomend that from two different experinces. I pack in buckets to my station as you cannot get there by any other means besides walking. One time I quietly arrived at my station and it was obvious that a grizz had had hit and it looked like a D8 cat came thru and made a pile of roots and dirt the size of a small car. In that pile was a couple of my buckets packed into the dirt. I was impressed by all the dirt work and walked up and kicked one of the buckets out of the pile. I don't even think that bucket clanked more then 3 times before it came to a rest when the woods came alive! I ended up playing ring around the cottonwood with a monster of a grizz. He came crashing in and was within feet of me within seconds and my big ol' .416 felt like I was holding a bb gun. Same thing happen a few years later but this time with a HUGE blackie that is now hanging on my wall. Nope, stealth is the only way I come in and I get my arse up the tree ASAP!

I run my stand with a buddy so we pack a .30-06, a .357 and a .375 Ruger, so we're pretty much set for a bear that wants to do battle. But we go in nice and quiet and haven't had any problems ever.

Once my dad walked into our stand and a big sow with cubs was in there, the cubs shot up a tree, and momma started woofing at him. By the time he saw her, she was as surprised as he was. She literally 'hopped' onto that tree her cubs were in and hung there. Too bad the camera wasn't working or I would have pics of it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

999 times out of 1000 they are gonna run off but because of that very slight chance of them not running off, I carry my 41 mag pistol with me because I bow hunt on my bait sites.

I usually go in quietly hoping to catch one on the bait. Only thing it's worked with so far was a big brownie that was sleeping near the bait. He woke up & came unglued when I was about 12-15 yds away (he was behind some brush so we couldn't see each other until then). That was the longest minute or so of my outdoor life. Sometimes a 44 mag with 320gr hardcast bullets seems a little small. When I'm bowhunting I always carry the handgun ready to go approaching the bait. I'll take one with just as much pride with my 4.75" 41 mag as with my bow. This year I'm hunting with my 450 Guide Gun. No hits on the bait yet.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

If you go in to refresh your bait at the same time...you can bet the bears will be close-by, maybe even watching you. At one particular bait (about 10 years ago), I decided to setup a trail cam...and it time stamped the photos. Bears were hitting my bait literally within minutes of me leaving. They were either watching me come and go (I flew in, so it was pretty obvious), or they had pretty accurate watches.

Default on the bait

had a blackie on the bait last night on the wallk in......i walk real slow when i'm close to the bait...i have spots as i get closer that i can spy on the barrel ......it looked like a nice bear........but with as hot and dry as it has been its like walking on potato chips so i just sat down and let it walk off...hopinig it would come back after i got on stand...but only the squirrels came back to steal marshmallows...i am bow hunting and carry a 454
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Hunted out of the stand this sat. night to sunday morning than again in the noon to evening, no luck, the bears knew I was in the stand even though I was as quiet as a mouse. I heard them walking all around me, all night, they just never came to the bait knowing I was there. I walked out later that night to get some more bait and heard a bear walk right to the bait as I was walking out. So next time I am going to bring a partner to walk out once I am set up in my stand, it should work. I am heading out today to put in a 100lbs. or so of dog food. Hopefully get a bear to come in this weekend, I ain't trophy hunting, as long as its a decent looking bear with no cubs, its going down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast