Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone returning from the haul road?

Default anyone returning from the haul road?

I am heading up on the 4th and would appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Default Yep

Well good news, bad news as usual. A guy I know just returned from a weekend up north. He didnít see much on the way up at all but ran into a good group while returning south around Slope Mt. I guess when they were out putting the moves on them a tractor trailer with pilot trucks came by and the pilot truck stopped at his. Through his binoís he watched the pilot driver smash his windshield and driver side window out with a hammer and he was parked well off the road. Must have been one hell of a cold ride home.

Default Geeezz...

That's one horrible story! My buddy just got back..winhshield still intact..and they saw several thousand bou, just all gathered up on the ridges and diffucult to get to. He said a rifle hunt would have been easy, just too far off the road for the bow. Most bou were in the Galbrith Lake area.

Default bou success

Hey Archerbob,
    My buddy and I just got back. We got three caribou. I got two real nice bulls and an arctic fox. Caribou everywhere. I'll post pictures and the whole story later. Got within 40 yards of my first bull and 20 on the second. It's all about the stalk. Thousands of caribou by Toolik Lake and pushing towards Galbreth Lake.

Justin

Thanks for all the usefull information. unfortunately my trip is going to get postponed for a week or so.
    Bob

Default Silly

Do you need a permit or anything to hunt these caribou? I have a week before I am leaving to whitetail hunt. I am in Kenai and might be able to get up north for a hunt, maybe, if I can completely lie to the wife, I am not above lying to the wife to hunt.

Could someone give me a few options that I could mull over.
    Marc Theiler

Default Marc

Marc: You need to have a caribou tag, hunting license and an archery certification card. (Can be IBEP or equalivant.)

A few chemical heaters for your hands and feet will help too.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by chuikenya View Post
    Hey Archerbob,
    My buddy and I just got back. We got three caribou. I got two real nice bulls and an arctic fox. Caribou everywhere. I'll post pictures and the whole story later. Got within 40 yards of my first bull and 20 on the second. It's all about the stalk. Thousands of caribou by Toolik Lake and pushing towards Galbreth Lake.

Justin
    Got pics? I am very interested in possibly doing this as well. I thought I wasnt going to get to hunt till next year, but found out for military residents not yet meeting the year requirement that we just pay half the tag fee's. This is not bad at all for a hunt in my opinion! Just have to convice the wife that!

Default hunt n' photos

check out this link. I posted it on the hunting forum. If you have any additional questions, let me know. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=5728

Default Hunt n'

Also,
    Are you going to be bow hunting? If so, you'll need your IBEP certification. If not, your looking at a very long hike. 5 miles is no joke out there. If you go in the next couple weeks your looking at -20 to -30, if not colder temps. It's managable, but I would plan on hiking out, shooting one, camping the night out there and then packing it out. My buddy just did the 5 mile hike and it took him two days (12 hours of draggin time) to get two caribou out on three kid's sleds. Your also looking at less daylight. Probably 6 hours of hunting time. Just a thought. Let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by kenyachui View Post
    Also,
    Are you going to be bow hunting? If so, you'll need your IBEP certification. If not, your looking at a very long hike. 5 miles is no joke out there. If you go in the next couple weeks your looking at -20 to -30, if not colder temps. It's managable, but I would plan on hiking out, shooting one, camping the night out there and then packing it out. My buddy just did the 5 mile hike and it took him two days (12 hours of draggin time) to get two caribou out on three kid's sleds. Your also looking at less daylight. Probably 6 hours of hunting time. Just a thought. Let me know...
    Yes, it will be a bowhunt and I have the equivilent of the IBEP. I dont mind the hike, but not with the kind of weather we will be facing at that time of year. Right now a friend and I plan to either do a haul rd caribou hunt or Ft Wainwright moose hunt towards the end of this month. Not sure which way he is leaning right now. Either way I will be happy to get out! Thanks a ton for the info!

Default Heard

I have hear of people camping in the winter on this side of the pass and hunting on the north side. Haven't done it but you certainly have the travel time with the limited daylight.

Default I wanna go

**** I would be heading up there right now if I wasn't going to hunt whitetails in the midwest for the next two weeks. How long can you hunt the haul road caribou?
    Marc Theiler

The way it reads is; Resident = 2 caribou total - any caribou by bow and arrow only.........Oct. 1-Apr. 30 (unit 26b). Hope that answers your question.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherBob View Post
    The way it reads is; Resident = 2 caribou total - any caribou by bow and arrow only.........Oct. 1-Apr. 30 (unit 26b). Hope that answers your question.
    So is this hunt not open to non residents at all? or just not for those dates?
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default 26B

For 26B it says:

Nonresidents: two bulls total One bull (archery) July 1- Sept. 30
    One bull (archery ) Oct. 1 - Apr. 30

So basically, you can take one bull. Unless you hunt on Sept. 30 and then again on Oct. 1, you could take another bull for a total of 2 bulls.

It is basically the same for residents: Total 2 caribou
    One bull (archery) July 1- Sept. 30
    Any caribou (archery ) Oct. 1 - Apr. 30

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    For 26B it says:

Nonresidents: two bulls total One bull (archery) July 1- Sept. 30
    One bull (archery ) Oct. 1 - Apr. 30

So basically, you can take one bull. Unless you hunt on Sept. 30 and then again on Oct. 1, you could take another bull for a total of 2 bulls.

It is basically the same for residents: Total 2 caribou
    One bull (archery) July 1- Sept. 30
    Any caribou (archery ) Oct. 1 - Apr. 30
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply!

Hunted have you ever hunted Caribou before? I will say they are my favorite by far. Also great pics on your site.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Hunted have you ever hunted Caribou before? I will say they are my favorite by far. Also great pics on your site.
    Thanks Gray! I have not hunted anything that Alaska has to offer yet. Just elk, deer, antelope and turkeys. Been trying for 18 years to get to Alkaska and had to volunteer to go to Korea to get here. Now I will be hunting everything I possibly can and photographing when I am not hunting. Just have to hunt the non guided stuff until I meet the residency requirement.

Default Dalton Highway And sno-go

I read the corridor rules for the haul road, and it looks like you can use a sno-go to get out to the 5 miles off the road..
    If I am wrong..
    Please let me know..
    this is from page 101 of the hunting regs concerning Dalton Highway
    corridor management Area (DHCMA)
    A snowmachine may be used to transport hunters gear, or parts of game across the management area from land outside the management area to access land on the other side of the management area.
    If I am reading this right, if enough snow, you could spot and unload your sled and go the 5 miles,, checking with your GPS and hunt, and load your caribou up and bring him back accross the corridor..
    soud right?
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast