Thread: Seward Fishing report

Default Seward Fishing report

Halibut fishing in Seward is getting better every day. Private boaters did very well over the last few days and the handful of charters that have been sailing have done even better. I also saw at least a half dozen kings from the bay hauled in over the last few days.

Here is todays catch for 4 fishermen

Time to come down and get um!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow looking good Andy, I can't wait to get fishing. see ya down there

Default Nice Halibut

Andy, great picture of some beautiful Halibut + a nice King. Way to go. Hope the season goes well.

Would you say those kings were caught outside the bay or inside? I know you can probably only speak for yours, but I'm assuming if the others were hauled in by charters they were caught outside.

Thanks!

Thanks for the report, I am planning my first outing with new to me boat this weekend. Would anyone care to share a strategy for finding Halibut out of Seward with this poor cheechako? Thanks and safe boating.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    Thanks for the report, I am planning my first outing with new to me boat this weekend. Would anyone care to share a strategy for finding Halibut out of Seward with this poor cheechako? Thanks and safe boating.
    Do a search for posts by AKCAPT. He has shared his wisdom numerous times here. Hard to go wrong following his lead.

Thats a great day of fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    Would you say those kings were caught outside the bay or inside? I know you can probably only speak for yours, but I'm assuming if the others were hauled in by charters they were caught outside.

Thanks!
    From my understanding...the few charter operations that target kings do so inside the bay...usually around Fox Island/Eldorado Narrows, Caines Head and Callisto. But, kings are certainly caught incidentally outside the bay, as well...just not targeted as much.

there are charters that target kings outside the bay..... they do very well

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    there are charters that target kings outside the bay..... they do very well
    Thanks fishface, I stand corrected. Not the first time...
    Who's doing the other charters targeting kings? I've fished with Dianne (AK Saltwater Charters) a few times for kings and always did well, but she seems to stay inside most of the time. But that was also early in the season when venturing outside the bay was iffy, weather-wise.

Pro fish n sea, crackerjack ( I think both voyager and crackerjack), one or a couple Tim Berge ( may have misspelled his last name) Grand Alaska or Grand Slam, Saltwater Safari, and I'm sure a few more. They do real well out there until middle of june maybe July. neat trip though you'll catch all types of fish while trolling for them. Any of those guys (minus Tim Berge boats don't know how they do I've just seen them out there doing it) will put you on fish. good luck

We are planning on a run to the Chiswells this weekend. Anyone have a general location for trolling for Kings around the islands? I never seem to have time inside the bay after a day of butt fishing. it would be nice to have a spot close to the halibut grounds.

Looking at the forecast it's going to be pretty rough out by the Chiswells all weekend.

That King was taken near lone tree point, slow trolling herring pinned on a rhys davis hood at 75'. The forcast this weekend is rough. I will be out almost every day in the coming two weeks. I will try to give a decent report when I am out for a few days. There are kings to be caught inside Res Bay. I saw one of the bay charters with a nice cart of kings yesterday. That might be the best option for this weekend for the smaller boats. It is going to be salty in the ocean. As usual, I will be going out regardless of the weather..... If you want a report of the ocean conditions, you might want to listen in on channel 68 for the charterboats in the morning.