Thread: G3 John with a 50 prop or G3 guide 18 V?

Default G3 John with a 50 prop or G3 guide 18 V?

Well I ran the Big Sue this last weekend. I had my 17 foot boat with the jet on it. A 60/40 and was burning gas bad, like 20 miles per 5 gallon tank!

Im seriously hating the jet! No control at slow speeds, bad gas milage and expensive parts.

What about a propped John boat like one of the G3 Setups at Deweys? What could a guy do with one of those? Big Su, yetna, tanana, Kenai and lakes? Would that be a good versitale Boat for the inland boater?

The other thing I noticed about those johns is the huge price difference in the ones with the seats and exposed ribs VS the plated floor models. I have to admit I like the cleaner look of the floored boats without bench seats But am also Thinking that I could live with the bench seats?

Im also eyeballing a G3 Guide 18 foot v-bow. That looks like it would be versatile just the same as well as maybe the close in trolling venture in seward.

Tough choices all around!

Welcome to the wonderful world of jet boating! “They make a lot of noise, burn a lot of gas, but at least they don’t go very fast!” - unk

I have been in the same place before. I bought a cheaper one with the exposed ribs. I made my own deck for it and save a lot of money. I also checked out having the bench seats removed. I was told that it could be done as long as I had extra support added after the benches were removed (the deck adds a ton of support in and of itself). I was quoted a pretty cheap price from an independent wielder and from a boat shop. I did not do it as I ended up buying a new boat, but it can be done.

When you say inland boater, if you are referring to the interior, I would say that a regular prop (vs a mud buddy or the like) would severely limit the water you could be on. I only know of a few rivers you could run and must of the good fishing and hunting are off of the tributaries or sloughs to those rivers versus the river itself. With a prop, you could not go very far up many of them if you could at all.

Not really refering to the interior, mostly the susitna valley rivers. I saw alot of props on the big su this weekend, I dont know where they were going but it got me to thinking a prop might be a option

Hey Mat i was in you place here last fall. I thought about a g3 pretty much the same set up you talking about. Then after talking with the guy down at dewey's i ended up with the sea ark predator. I really like the boat I have done everything I have want to in it. It's not too bad on gas. Goes up and down the river pretty good. I guess it come to how much much money your willing to spend. I think also this weekend at the sue there were lots of props but the water level will drop. Anyhow best of luck with which ever way you go.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Not really refering to the interior, mostly the susitna valley rivers. I saw alot of props on the big su this weekend, I dont know where they were going but it got me to thinking a prop might be a option

Default You need a lift

and a prop lower unit for your boat. Then you could have the best of both worlds.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Matt I spotted you coming into the landing on Sunday. Unique boat you have there. I was on the opposite shore from the landing playing with my daughter and her friends.

Good luck in your search. Ever thought about an airboat?

I remember seeing you there gremlin, I think I spotted Toshiro also. The boat is unique, and I have found that I dont like it. Its good but a little narrow for my tastes and not much room

Well Im not willing to spend much over 11K and really that is too much. With my down payment I could get payments of 93 a month in that price range. But still thats alot of money and I hate payments.

Now my boss has this lift thing that you bolt to the boat and bolt your motor to it and you just lever the motor up and down while you drive.

I have to look at it better to see how big of a motor it will accomadate. It is steel and looks hell for stout I remember that.

Maybe A more versatile economic setup would be one of the johns with a 25- 35 horse tiller prop and that lift thing?

They dont have anymore of the 16 foot johns left but they have one of the 17 footers left that they havent done anything to. What do you guys think about a 25 horse tiller on one of those with that lift thing?

Another boat I have seen and have thought about buying is a used crestliner, it is riveted, has the bench seating in it but seems stout enough and its in good shape. It comes with a galv trailer, older 2 stroke merc 25 horse and micsalany for 3000.00 and the guy aint budging on price. I actually drove the boat last weekend it seemed nice and lots of power and I think with that lift deal it will do alot. I just hate the benches! The middle one is actually a livewell, but it can be plugged. But even though its in good shape and all, 3K seems alot for a riveted 16 foot john with an 87 2 stroke motor.

So maybe Im thinking shy away from the 50, center console and maybe just get a plane janer with a smaller tiller prop and a lifter.

And yeah Im in a hurry!

and was burning gas bad, like 20 miles per 5 gallon tank!
    that's 4 miles per gallon....that is not bad my friend.......

Im sure a prop will work fine... depending on what you want to do and where you want to go on the Su...

What will you be doing most of the time with the boat? Where on the Su will you be going?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Yup, that was me. And if I remember right Toshiro was at the landing in his boat. lol I noticed your go-tee from 600 yards away.

If I was you I would go with a simple center console, tunnel jet, style jon boat with a 50/35 or 40/30 jet. I had one and sold it, the mistake of my freaking life. They are no frills but will get you were you need to go, and they will run shallow. With a prop you will limit yourself on the SC waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Yup, that was me. And if I remember right Toshiro was at the landing in his boat. lol I noticed your go-tee from 600 yards away.

Oh thats funny, I guess the old go-tee is getting out of hand! Thanks for the laugh.

I guess I could call mining and diving and see what they got. Deweys is out, except one and its outta my range.

I dont know what Im going to be doing exclusivley. Just screwing around, hunting fishing. I have a cabin in willow so that place is nice for me cause I got a place to stay. Plus I like just getting out on the lakes around there. Im also known to go up to lake louise and kenai lake.

Im thinking Ill probably have to stick with a jet if I get a bigger boat, or get the lightweight john with that 25 and jack ass lift.

If I stuck in the main part of the su, a prop would be fine, but exploring all the channels and braids would be out. and that would suck having a 11,000 boat for only a few aplications.

What could a guy do with one of those? Big Su, yetna, tanana, Kenai and lakes? Would that be a good versitale Boat for the inland boater?

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    What will you be doing most of the time with the boat? Where on the Su will you be going?...
    ??????????????????

I dont know what Im going to be doing exclusivley. Just screwing around, hunting fishing. I have a cabin in willow so that place is nice for me cause I got a place to stay. Plus I like just getting out on the lakes around there. Im also known to go up to lake louise and kenai lake.
    Is that what your asking TJM?

Is that what your asking TJM?
    yes...but here's your original post...

Oh thats funny, I guess the old go-tee is getting out of hand! Thanks for the laugh.

I guess I could call mining and diving and see what they got. Deweys is out, except one and its outta my range.
    ....you added the rest after I responded...lol...

If you are not sure what you'll be doing then maybe it would be easier for us to tell you what you won't be doing with a prop...lol.....and that is getting very far away from the Big Su or Yetna....

exploring all the channels and braids would be out. and that would suck having a 11,000 boat for only a few aplications.
    yes it would...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Yeah I was slowly coming back to reality with the bigger prop thing as the night proggressed.

You still think running a small 25 horse tiller is out of the question on one of the jackass lifts and being able to explore around?

Default Prop vs jet/gas.

I started out with a 35hp prop and used it mainly on lakes. Then got my courage up and headed down to the deshka. First time out of the launch I forgot to put my depthfinder on and didnt make it 15 yards before hitting ground. Put the depthfinder on and pushed off to deeper water and eyed the depthfinder to prevent reaccurance. I had the main channel thing figured out and was okay then. Once at the deska and seeing the other boats headed up river, I decided im going up there to see what up there. In the begining of the river there is some vegitation that wouldn't allow me to get past the mouth. I soon was convinced that when I had the funds I was gonna have a capable boat for doing more exploring. I never ran the lift setup on a prop before but it may be enough to get past the mouth.
    I have a jetboat now with the option of running a prop but never put the prop on and its just nice to be able to run in shallow water without the worries of hanging up on something. Its the price you pay for that setup along with lots of fuel consumption. If I had to decide again on setup after running around on rivers, id stick with the jet or go airboat. Props should stay in deep water. Unless you dont mind just running the main channels. That my opinion about that unless someone has better info about prop than my experiences.
    The jack would be better than nothing but I cant imagine a prop going same place a jet does unless you have the longtail type of setup.