Thread: Digital Gauges?? You Like??? Problem?

Default Digital Gauges?? You Like??? Problem?

Ok, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.... I just had my boat out for the second time since the new motor was installed. (Suzuki 225hp 4strk) The first time out it seemed as if the digital read out of gph was accurate. This last time out it was way off. Showing 8 gph at max speed and trip fuel used was 39 gallons when I burned up 90 gallons. I just read through the manual and I don't see a way to really calibrate the gph being used. Has anyone else had this problem? Everything else seems to be fine as far as reading the RPM's, Battery Voltage and Trim. Is mine defective or is that just the way these things are- Not Accurate???

A 225 is definately going to be sucking more than 8gph at full rpm, so something is off.

Do you know if the unit takes fuel consumption from an inline fuel meter, or off the engines cpu?

It reads off the enigines cpu. I just got off the phone with the Suzuki guys they are going to call tech support.

There is a way to perform a calibration based on gallons used on my NMEA2000 digital gauges. I don't have the manual in front of me but it goes something like fill up the tank and set the tank to full on the fuel management screen. After running it for awhile you fill it up again and tell it how many gallons it used. You also tell it to perform a calibration. The computer compares what was actually used to what was thought to be used and updates the calculation. It may take a couple of times to get it dead on but it should be closer each time. Because it was working and then not accurate something may have gone out. One other possibility is if someone said calibrate without setting fuel added accurately. This might have re-calibrated it.

I am not sure which digital gauges you are using but this is the way my Suzi 115 works with the networked NMEA2000 gauges and the engine module. Mine is accurate to about a gallon overstated out of 50 gallons used. I left it that way to give me a little cushion.

Thanks for the insight guys... I talked it over with the Suzuki guys. It's now working perfect. You have to go in and reconfigure you're "Bus Devices". It's pretty simple really. If anyone else runs into this problem pm me I can walk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnscd View Post
    Thanks for the insight guys... I talked it over with the Suzuki guys. It's now working perfect. You have to go in and reconfigure you're "Bus Devices". It's pretty simple really. If anyone else runs into this problem pm me I can walk you through it.
    I have been having some diffuculty getting accurate readings from my DF140, how many times did you have to recalibrate?
    I have read thru it several times, maybe I am missing something?

Default Guages

I thought my guages were off but then found I was loosing fuel out of the rear fuel tank vent on my wooly. I put a shut off in the rear fuel vent now the guages seem pretty accurate. I have the I-command.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Not necessarily recalibrated.... I just had to start from the beginning and go back in and enter the motor year and model so the gauges know what motor (cpu) they are trying to collect data from.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have been having some diffuculty getting accurate readings from my DF140, how many times did you have to recalibrate?
    I have read thru it several times, maybe I am missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    I thought my guages were off but then found I was loosing fuel out of the rear fuel tank vent on my wooly. I put a shut off in the rear fuel vent now the guages seem pretty accurate. I have the I-command.

Yeah, loosing fuel is no fun, can ruin your day.
    Lowrance makes the I-command and Suzuki gauges. How is the fuel usage on your new Wooly?

Default Fuel useage

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Yeah, loosing fuel is no fun, can ruin your day.
    Lowrance makes the I-command and Suzuki gauges. How is the fuel usage on your new Wooly?
    I seem to burn 6-7 gph running 28-32 mph. I run at about 4600 to 4800 rpm. Wot is 5400 rpm 11 gph and 38 mph. I have done the math and anything under 5000 rpm is pretty close for fuel consumption. I have a 36 gal tank so I figure about a 140 mile range with a light load.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com