View Poll Results: Do you support the NRA's position to allow crossbows in archery only seasons?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 34.23%
  • No

67 60.36%
  • abstaine

6 5.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you support the NRA's...

Default Do you support the NRA's...

position of allowing Crossbows in Archery Season only hunts?

The NRA should stick with what they know...

Any links to information that supports the fact that the NRA actually endorses this? I'm fairly active in the NRA and have never seen them come out and take a position on this. (EDIT: Never mind..I guess I just need to google it.)

BTW..I'm a bowhunter and archer since 1989 and I do not support any type of weapon specific seasons that give special privileges of one user group over another. The only time I think special weapons seasons should be considered is when public safety is a consideration...ie: archery seasons in urban areas or areas where firearms would cause a safety hazard (near pipeline corridors ect..) Weapon specific seasons are divisive and do nothing to help bring fellow hunters closer together.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Sure

I think the only reason a person would use a crossbow unless they were unable to use a bow. They would be a good way for elderly or disabled to hunt in archery areas. As for the rest of us most crossbows are not as effective as a compound.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default Something to read

Here's a letter from the North American Bowhunting Coalition to the NRA. It parallels what my feelings are on the subject but I think they did a better job writing it than i could have.

http://www.mnbowhunters.org/Position...NRA_Letter.pdf

Wolfkiller- The proposal does not specifically relate to disabled hunters, while i will stand in support of disabled hunters using crossbows the NRA's stance is to let anyone use a crossbow to hunt during the archery specific season.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    position of allowing Crossbows in Archery Season only hunts?
    NO!!!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Gray...

am curious as to what is the ABA's, as a whole, side to this proposal?
    Last edited by gogoalie; 05-26-2009 at 23:29. Reason: grammer

Default Nope ... unless

It was worded so that only those of us with disabilities were allowed to use them in an "archery only" season.

Personally, I don't like crossbows one bit. From what I've seen first hand, they wound more animals than they kill. Maybe that's just my bad luck, but it's my truth and I'm sticking with it. I don't mind tracking one bit, however....... too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing.

WHen the day comes that I can't draw my bow(s) any longer..... I'll put them on the wall with the rest of my "trophys" to remember the good old days by.

As stated, I don't like them.... but they might have a place, I just haven't found it yet.

I've never used a crossbow, but since I sold my bows (bursitis in both shoulders, arthritis in right shoulder and L5 & L6 disk problems affecting my left arm) I've been interested in them.

I'd like to see a disabled-for-bowhunting crossbow season. I'm interested to hear reasons against such a season.

Default What Happened to "Primitive"?

To be a bowhunter used to mean something special - you had to pay your dues, put in endless hours of practice to develop your shooting eye and your muscles, spend time in the woods scouting, learning to be aware of wind direction, etc. Modern technology has come along and freed us of the need to develop these skills. As Gene Wenzel said, "the instant bowhunter is among us!"
    Sorry, folks, but bowhunting was never meant to be easy. Bowhunting success was never meant to be a sure thing.
    In the early 90's, I was a council member of the United Bowhunters of N.J. We then took a hard stance against the crossbow. Now, I see that it's use has been approved for archery season here in N.J.
    I gave up bowhunting after a non-repairable shoulder injury 3 years ago. Could've gotten a special permit to use a crossbow, but to me, that just ain't bowhuntin'! I chose to bid farewell to my beloved sport, and instead now hunt with a side hammer muzzleloader. Again - just trying to keep it primitive.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    am curious as to what is the ABA's, as a whole, side to this proposal?
    We talked about this in the past. Along with doing a survey. If I remember right 95% of the board member were not in favor of having crossbows in an Archery area.

I will see if I can find the results of the survey that we did a couple of years ago.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have to jump in with the group that supports its use by a person that cannot use a regular bow. A person with a disability should be able to use a crossbow. As far as primitive is concerned, crossbows have been around a looooong time. And there is nothing primitive about a modern compound bow. So I would vote yes with the caveat that crossbows be restricted to those with a documented disability that prevents use of a "regular" bow.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

kinda curious ... what is primitive about todays bows?

what is NOT primitive about a cross bow.. they have a longer run through history then even the muzzle loaders....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I for one think it is a wonderful tool for those with disabilities to be able to still enjoy archery, I would venture to guess that most feel that way also. However there is something "point and click" that I just can't wrap my head around in supporting the general public being able to use them in an archery season.

I think the "primitive" in todays bows still lies in the time commitment and dedication to be able to be accurate and proficient with the equipment. Whether you have a compound shooting 380 fps or a longbow you still need to practice as they are by no means a sure deal, most can attest to shooting after a lengthy time off and having to relearn proper anchor and form to be consistent again. With a crossbow once you get your scope dialed in really it's just a like a firearm in that as long as the scope and crossbow doesn't get banged around you should be able to be a fairly consistent shooter out to the max effective range.

I thought it was funny that the Pennsylvania Game Board approved crossbows and outlawed optics for them and then went back and allowed scopes.

"Personally, I don't like crossbows one bit. From what I've seen first hand, they wound more animals than they kill."

That's a function of user error not a crossbow's capability.

I'm a life long bow hunter and shot many deer in Ohio with a compound bow. I understand the sentiment of may of the posters and use to agree with them. However I do not agree any more. Crossbows in this day and age help get more people in the field that would otherwise not be. Our sport isn't growing and we need more people active. I started with a borrowed crossbow when I was 12. Because I enjoyed bow hunting I decided it was worth the expenditure of money to outfit myself with a compound. Perhaps I would not have done so without the prior experience with a crossbow. I know several other hunters who got into bows the same way. Also I'm sure when compound bows came out the traditional guys said no way to our new and unfair technology that just made it "too easy". Anyway I for one am glad that those traditional archers didn't have their way. Hopefully we will all be a little more tollerant.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Crossbows in this day and age help get more people in the field that would otherwise not be. Our sport isn't growing and we need more people active.
    The quote above lies the problem. When pitted with the argument of trying to get more people in the field where do we draw the line as to something that we accept and don't accept. I read a quote from someone that made a lot of sense

"Crossbows will not be the answer to the declining hunter numbers, the answer lies in the youth of today and those willing to mentor and teach these youth that hunting and the outdoors are more fulfilling than the latest XBOX game."

Why not take all of the energy and time spent on this argument and put it to use with the NASP program and shooting sports in schools?

Alright, but you have to cock the crossbow in sight of the game animal like an archer has to draw a bow. No walking around with a 100% letoff crossbow in your hand. Only then, in my mind, would it put you on a level playing field with a bowhunter and then ONLY to accomodate a disability.

...And you'll need to pass an IBEP approved course or similar and pass a proficiency test.

Taylor

-[]------->

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Alright, but you have to cock the crossbow in sight of the game animal like an archer has to draw a bow. No walking around with a 100% letoff crossbow in your hand. Only then, in my mind, would it put you on a level playing field with a bowhunter and then ONLY to accomodate a disability.

...And you'll need to pass an IBEP approved course or similar and pass a proficiency test.

Taylor

-[]------->
    Bows you don't use scopes and you still have to use your own power to hold and draw the bow back. People with a disability I see no problem with a crossbow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Pupchow View Post
    "Crossbows will not be the answer to the declining hunter numbers, the answer lies in the youth of today and those willing to mentor and teach these youth that hunting and the outdoors are more fulfilling than the latest XBOX game."
    Agreed. However that doesn't change the fact that crossbows help expose more people to hunting and bow hunting in purticular. It's not the answer, but then again one single thing never is. Having more options for people to hunt as far as implements and animals just appeals to more folks. I have little to no interest in baiting a bear and choose to spot and stalk. I have no problem though with others doing it. I choose to hunt with a compound bow now instead of a cross bow, but I have no problem with others doing it. I flyfish almost exclusively now, but I have no problem with others using conventional fishing gear. As I said before lets be a little more tollerant. Not everyone has to do it our way or nothing at all.

Brett

Default No Brett..

Brett my friend.... lots here I would like to say. Just can't. It's not worth it and frankly who cares. All I know is... I'm not here to argue or start a pi$$ing match. Just don't try to disqualify my words with your own and I'll do my best to offer you the same respect.

as long as you and the rest of everyone else on here bite our tongues a bit and think about what we're saying before we hit the submit button....
    I think we'll all get along just a bit better......

I speak the facts as I know them, see them and generally can prove them... IF I can be proven wrong, cool. Fair warning, becareful HOW you approach proving others wrong. There's a right way.... and that wasn't it.

That's your 1 strike. Nothing personal. Look me up and I'll buy you a beverage of choice and we can BS hunting and fishing all day.

Honestly, I don't think you meant it the way I took it..... and now I'm over-reacting... Still counting this as your 1 strike, just cuz I can LOL

ain't the internet great.......

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    "Personally, I don't like crossbows one bit. From what I've seen first hand, they wound more animals than they kill."

That's a function of user error not a crossbow's capability.

I'm a life long bow hunter and shot many deer in Ohio with a compound bow. I understand the sentiment of may of the posters and use to agree with them. However I do not agree any more. Crossbows in this day and age help get more people in the field that would otherwise not be. Our sport isn't growing and we need more people active. I started with a borrowed crossbow when I was 12. Because I enjoyed bow hunting I decided it was worth the expenditure of money to outfit myself with a compound. Perhaps I would not have done so without the prior experience with a crossbow. I know several other hunters who got into bows the same way. Also I'm sure when compound bows came out the traditional guys said no way to our new and unfair technology that just made it "too easy". Anyway I for one am glad that those traditional archers didn't have their way. Hopefully we will all be a little more tollerant.

Brett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast