Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can you hunt with a SBR.....????

  1. #1

    Default Can you hunt with a SBR.....????

    You can hunt with a handgun, you can hunt with a 16" plus barrel rifle. Any restriction on hunting with a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle sub 16" barrel)....? Yes assuming one has the Federal $200.00 tax stamp, and the firearm is legal, is there any Alaska game regulation that comes into play.......?

  2. #2
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    I have never read one and don't see why not.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I have never read one and don't see why not.

    I don't see why not, I can hunt with my AR-15 pistol with a 7 1/2" or 10 1/2" barrel. But, I want to be more sure before I blow $300.00 on photos, fingerprints, and BATF&E Tax Stamp.

  4. #4
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Email the State and ask them about it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Email the State and ask them about it.
    Yea, I just talked to them in Juneau and Los Anchorage and they both referenced to page # 17........"May NOT take game by: Using a Machine gun, Set gun, or Shotgun larger than 10 Gauge". Some how I always feel like I am getting advise from a 15 year old kid, who just moved to Alaska last week, everytime I talk to ADF&G, It just never feels SOLID.

  6. #6
    Member Alaskacajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    318

    Default

    I wonder if that rule means that you shouldn't use "Full Auto" to take game with a machine gun or if they actually mean you can not use a machine gun period, even if it's only in the semi auto position.

    They leave a lot to interpretation on that one.

    I have a feeling that most law enforcement wouldn't even have a clue that you were carrying around a machine gun in the first place unless you told them... or if someone heard you rattling off rounds at a band of caribou and reported you....

    - Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

  7. #7
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Yea, I just talked to them in Juneau and Los Anchorage and they both referenced to page # 17........"May NOT take game by: Using a Machine gun, Set gun, or Shotgun larger than 10 Gauge". Some how I always feel like I am getting advise from a 15 year old kid, who just moved to Alaska last week, everytime I talk to ADF&G, It just never feels SOLID.
    I know what you mean, I like to talk to a Trooper for this stuff but I don't know how to get a Wildlife Trooper on the phone for this one. There is nothing on page 17 to hold you back that I see, or any other page of the regs that I have read and I read them front to back every year. Problem is what they print in the regs is a summary of the laws and does not include everything, but I think you are good to go with it so long as the gun is legal with the long barrel.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  8. #8
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    I wonder if that rule means that you shouldn't use "Full Auto" to take game with a machine gun or if they actually mean you can not use a machine gun period, even if it's only in the semi auto position.

    They leave a lot to interpretation on that one.

    I have a feeling that most law enforcement wouldn't even have a clue that you were carrying around a machine gun in the first place unless you told them... or if someone heard you rattling off rounds at a band of caribou and reported you....

    - Clint
    The law defines a machine gun and it falls under that definition they will hang you no matter whether you use the selector switch or not. Like duck hunting with no plug in your gun "but I only had 3 in the gun" will not fly if the gun can take 4.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  9. #9
    Member nrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    176

    Default sbr's ok, cans ok, machine guns not.

    The above poster is correct - a machine gun is a machine gun (defined as such on the stamp) whether the selector is flipped or not.

    In AK silencers and sbrs are both legit for hunting, provided you have the stamp - per the current law. The hiccup might be the trooper or LEO who isn't completely up to speed on the regs. Expect to have a long conversation if you bump into someone.

    More than one guy has popped a grouse with a silenced 22 while out bowhunting. An SBR (perhaps a TC....) could be real nifty for sheep hunting or for packing on a small raft or plane.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    I suspect that the laws or regulations will always be purposely vague, so there is the option of enforcing, (arresting, or prosecuting), as they wish, depending on the current mood or political climate, etc.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •