Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: canoeing the Little Su

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knik Lake
    Posts
    2

    Cool canoeing the Little Su

    My hubby and I would like to canoe the Little Su in the next week. I am a very novice canoer, he has canoed up by Circle. Would this be a good time? I do know that generally in spring, due to snow melt, rivers are generally faster moving, but we flew the Little Su yesterday, didn't see any log jams but don't know enough to tell swiftness.The weather sure is nice right now for it tho.Today is the 19th of May.

  2. #2
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    If you are canoing all the way to burma landing, you will probably have at least one log jam to deal with, about 3/4 of the way down. It is usually opened up by the early travelers so you can float through it. If your husband has any canoing experience then you should be ok. The first time I did it my only experience was in lakes. The river has a 3-4 mph current and has a mild gradient. I think the peak water level has probably passed, and you should have good traveling water. If the water looks chocolate, the the water is high, usually it runs clear in the upper river. If he has experience, have him sit in the back, 95% of the river can be done with only one person paddling from the back. There is some slow water that you will start to get into after 4-6 hours on the water(depending on where you put in and how much paddilinf/floating you do).

    Enjoy this little river.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knik Lake
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thanks, that was Very helpful! Hope I'm doing this forum talk right. Its the first time I've tried it.

  4. #4

    Default Watch out

    I don't know specifically about this time of year, but much of the summer you really need to watch out for the idiots in the big overpowered jetboats that run the river like they own it. It is not all that uncommon to hear of them swamping someone or just running them over. Way too many people run that river with boats that barely fit between the banks. Most of the problems are below the landing, so if you are upstream you may avoid most or all of it. Keep your ears open, it may be the only warning you get.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I have done it when the water is low and we spent a lot of time trying to avoid dragging the canoe. I have also done it at near flood stage.

    Now I look at this website first: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...afc&gage=lsoa2

    Unfortunately I never remember what level it was that one time I went and it was perfect... Compare the top 5 historical crests to the current level and I would be cautious about this weekend if you are a novice. Alaskan water, even a "little" river like this, is no place to take chances! (or am I just boring?)

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    I have done it when the water is low and we spent a lot of time trying to avoid dragging the canoe. I have also done it at near flood stage.

    Now I look at this website first: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...afc&gage=lsoa2

    Unfortunately I never remember what level it was that one time I went and it was perfect... Compare the top 5 historical crests to the current level and I would be cautious about this weekend if you are a novice. Alaskan water, even a "little" river like this, is no place to take chances! (or am I just boring?)
    Did my first real float on the Little Su yesterday from Schrock Rd. to the Parks highway in Houston. Aside from about 3 or 4 portages around a couple trees completely crossing the river in the first few miles the remainder of the trip was low key and very mellow. A good beginners run IMO. The water did appear to be high and very little sandbars for camping on, but being as its only a 6 hour float you don't really need to camp anyways. However, being as it was my first float on this piece of water I can't really say what the "normal" water level is. Wear a PFD plan ahead and have fun. Good luck.

    Here are a couple pics from the float:


    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 05-20-2009 at 22:23.

  7. #7
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Did my first real float on the Little Su yesterday from Schrock Rd. to the Parks highway in Houston. Aside from about 3 or 4 portages around a couple trees completely crossing the river in the first few miles the remainder of the trip was low key and very mellow. A good beginners run IMO. Wear a PFD plan ahead and have fun. Good luck.
    Yep, good float! DONT FORGET TO PUT SUNSCREEN ON YOUR LEGS!!

  8. #8

    Default

    Hey, I don't see any PFDs in those photos. You must not be one of the subjects in the photos, Alaska_Lanche.

  9. #9

    Default Apparently....

    Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    Hey, I don't see any PFDs in those photos. You must not be one of the subjects in the photos, Alaska_Lanche.
    Apparently, it's a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of thing.

    Sort of like those parents who make their kids wear bike helmets, then don't wear one themselves while out riding with them. Great examples of being responsible....

  10. #10
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Alaska_Lanche, the water looks a little on the cloudy/high side compared to nomal, but not a flood stage. With this overcast weather the river should come down some. Sunny weather releases more water into the river than light rain.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Apparently, it's a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of thing.

    Sort of like those parents who make their kids wear bike helmets, then don't wear one themselves while out riding with them. Great examples of being responsible....
    Nope, its actually me without the PFD, and you're right....I am irresponsible.... Lanche and his wife have the gucci CO2 cartridge blow-up vests. As for me, just blubber for that trip. Lemme guess, as a moderator, I should be setting a better example.

  12. #12
    Member fozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    84

    Default

    I imagine any time being good to float the Little Su. I have done it six or eight times and it is fun. My favorite time though is the first weekend in August you can catch silvers all the way down. Now you got me thinking I might need to make that trip this year.

  13. #13
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Yeah going when the silvers are hot would be REALLY fun! Make a whole day out of it or go overnight all the way to Burma or somthing...

  14. #14
    Member garnede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    soon to be back in Alaska
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    The overnight to burma durring silver season is a blast. I had one morning that I woke up at 7 and caught 13 silvers before 8. Then it was time to break camp and eat breakfast.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

    http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default

    so excuse me for sounding dumb but is it easy to paddle against the current when canoeing a river? or do you just float to the end and someone picks you up... this sounds like alot of fun but i didnt think you could take canoes out on rivers...

  16. #16

    Default It all depends

    Quote Originally Posted by FishCrazy View Post
    so excuse me for sounding dumb but is it easy to paddle against the current when canoeing a river? or do you just float to the end and someone picks you up... this sounds like alot of fun but i didnt think you could take canoes out on rivers...
    It all depends on the river you are looking at. Some are definitely too fast, but some are very slow and you can paddle upstream. A lot easier with more than one person paddling, but doable none-the-less. Most will just float from point to point, either having someone to pick them up or having some kind of shuttle set up.

  17. #17

    Default

    As kids in the midwest, we would paddle upstream in small rivers, get out and swim and tow the canoe upstream in the shallow portions, then at the end of day, turn around and float back to where we started. Usually several hours going upstream, about an hour or less going back down.

    Most people float downstream point to point on rivers unless they have an outboard.

    -hiker

  18. #18

    Default

    people have paddled canoes up just about any river you can name, including the yukon, tanana, copper, kuskokwim, nahanni, mississippi, etc. its just a matter how much time and work one puts into it.

    but, yep, most of us paddle downriver these days.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •