Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You can bait bears,you can't feed them

Default You can bait bears,you can't feed them

I can only hope that the palmer DA has a backbone to prosecute and make an example of him. Take his lodge the pilots plane and everyone involved. I was pissed when I saw that on the news. About time

Quote Originally Posted by EBalaska View Post
    I can only hope that the palmer DA has a backbone to prosecute and make an example of him. Take his lodge the pilots plane and everyone involved. I was pissed when I saw that on the news. About time
    I agree, about time.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default matter of time

It was only a matter of time. My kids watched the show on TV and knew that feeding bears and trying to "be-friend" bears was wrong.

I just hope this will make the guy stop before he turns into scat like Tredwell.

Very good deal.

Why isn't anyone hunting the edge of his property? Or are they?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Not sure if anyone is hunting his bears. I am sure they will need to be taken out though now that they cant be feed. Nice little lake by his place.

Default I wondered

I wondered that too.. On one episode, 2 hunters approaced the place with loaded guns.. he freaked.. later they turned out to be friends.. and the one even brought his father and family back via plane.. Whats to stop someone from using a boat and going their and shooting them? As long as your not on his Surveyed and Legally his property..

I saw all the shows and still have them protected on my DVR. This man did something and it was great to watch. I think he started feeding bears before there were laws on the books. Was he wrong in what he did?????
    Law or no law, "BEAR HAVEN" was a joy to watch. I hunt bears, and this show will not change that. To destroy "BEAR HAVEN " and the bears I think would be a waste. There's a trust here that does not exist any where else in the world. What if research was done on and with the bears like bacteria tests with spit and certain foods.(for example). The jails are to full for Charlie to be sent. A lot of wasted tax dollars on this case.

Default We need...

Sarah Palin with her door gunner heli rides!

Quote Originally Posted by haff202 View Post
    I saw all the shows and still have them protected on my DVR. This man did something and it was great to watch. I think he started feeding bears before there were laws on the books. Was he wrong in what he did?????
    Law or no law, "BEAR HAVEN" was a joy to watch. I hunt bears, and this show will not change that. To destroy "BEAR HAVEN " and the bears I think would be a waste. There's a trust here that does not exist any where else in the world. What if research was done on and with the bears like bacteria tests with spit and certain foods.(for example). The jails are to full for Charlie to be sent. A lot of wasted tax dollars on this case.

You run up and give little teddy bear a swab and test away. He will get his hand slapped and fined and will not due any time. If or when or both if he got snacked on or someone with him did I could see the line of lawyers and familys lining up to sue the state for allowing it to continue now when it is AGAINST THE LAW
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by haff202 View Post
    ..................and we can walk with the animals, talk with the animals!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, Doc, what he did was wrong!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Sarah Palin with her door gunner heli rides!
    Rat a tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat problem solved

Ummmm Elmendorf this is Major Havoc. I just accidently released a Heat seeking missle from my F-22 and it found Bear Haven. Ummmmmm its gone
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Lightbulb

Yes, Charlie created a problem for at least himself. Although I have not heard any reports, ever, of "problem bears" at other nearby cabins, all them habituated bears will probably end up destroyed by the time this deal ends. And that will be a bad day for them bears, I guess. And I'm all about living honestly and absolutely respecting any and all laws concerning wildlife. And I do also firmly believe that what Charlie created was wrong for him and the bears he habituated. But...I don't know..

I can not imagine intentionally attempting to hunt those bears on or near his property. Not my style...not anything close to fair-chase....and I truely enjoy spring spot-and-stalk hunting for wild bears.

haff202 indicated he did not feel there is room in jail for Charlie, and I agree. Seventy-something year old bear lover in jail does not sound very "just" to me either. Charlies compulsion for pet bears is hard to support, but I just feel his spot in jail could be better occupied by some real b@$tard who has demonstrated a real and terrible willful disregard for society and/or Alaskans.

Charlie is just a compulsive mental case...plead out to a lesser charge and move onward and upward.

I do not expect much sympathy for him or for these uncharacteristic soft-hearted feeling of mine...so, "gentlemen, ignite your torches now".

Dennis

Thumbs down

I agree with alaskatrueadventure. and I will add one more I think its crap they took his plane!

What's sad (IMHO of course) is that this guy has been doing this for years. I first heard about Charlie in 2001 (I believe ADN ran a story on him) and after this latest incident I was kind of surprised that he was still doing this and that F&G hadn't already rained on his parade years ago.

What happens to a bunch of completely habituated bears (or partially trained depending on who you believe) will be pretty darn sad. Not really sure what else you do with a mature grizzly thats been food habituated for several years short of shooting it or putting it in the circus. Either way it sure is bad news for the bear.

I also agree that Charlie is more or less a harmless kook (at least in respect to the bear thing) and jail space will be better served for those among us with truly evil intent. Not defending his actions which I view as despicable but I don't think he performed it with actual malice in mind.

I hope the judge gets creative in sentencing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not sure why they didn't let the bears snack on more English Journalist before shutting it down

no jail... here either. this guy was not acting like Treadwell.. he was just getting along and learning from them. wrong... but .... But..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default tough call

This is one of those things that is not so cut and dry. Those of you that are saying that he should be locked up period need to do some soul searching!!! I don't think that there are many that can say that they have never ever broken a law. How many of you have driven 56 in a 55 mpH? Drank before you were legal, thrown a cigerette butt out, etc....There are laws of morality or Gods laws, and then there are society's laws, and sometimes they don't coincide. I think that there is something to the fact that he was doing this way before the law was on the books and he was on his property. I agree that this needs to be stopped and that it can be a dangerious situation for the bears as well as humans.

Whoever was thinking and talking about hunting his property edge lacks any moral hunting ethics PERIOD!!!! That's called KILLING!!

I think that the bears may suffer in the end and that is truely sad. Someone made a comment and I was wondering too, if it wouldn't be possible to start some sort of research facility so that he efforts didn't go to waste and the bears didn't end up being distoryed.

It's funny, I seem to recall a story about a bird lady that feeds eagles and I haven't heard anything about her being charged with anything. What is good for the goose.. There is something with in humans that wants to interact with animals and feed them. Thats one of the reasons that so many of us have pets. We like wild things, and want to interact with them. I do agree that something needed to be done and I too hope that the judge finds a creative way to deal with and help Charlie.

Blast away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post

Whoever was thinking and talking about hunting his property edge lacks any moral hunting ethics PERIOD!!!! That's called KILLING!!

Every other thread on this forum is on bear baiting.. What would be the difference between shooting a bear that is in a location because it is fed for viewing purposes and a bear that is fed for killing purposes? It's amazing the lengths people will go to avoid "hunting", while hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    It's funny, I seem to recall a story about a bird lady that feeds eagles and I haven't heard anything about her being charged with anything.
    The Eagle Lady (Jean Keene) if I remember correctly was allowed to feed birds for a determined date in the future, at which time it would no longer be allowed. She died in January of this year, which ended the practice in Homer. I believe someone was given the ok to feed the eagles through the winter in her absence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast