Thread: Death moan

Default Death moan

Was curious how many of you bow hunters out there have actually had your black bear give the death moan after being shot with an arrow. Does it happen every time or not very often? It seems like on the outdoor channel every bear that is shown shot with a bow does it.

I have heard it and I shot mine with a rifle.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default death moan

I have been in on probably at least 100 bear kills over the years mainly with rifle, and I would say half the time you hear the death moan.

This season we've taken 3. 1 with cross bow, 1 with bow and arrow, 1 with rifle. The crossbow kill was at about 8 yards. Bear ran off crashing and NO death moan. Ran about 40 yards, dead as a door knob. Next bear was shot with rifle. Had death moan. 3rd bear shot with bow and arrow, ran off about 30 yards, HAD death moan. My best guess is about 50% of the time you hear it. I sure like hearing it as it makes the search for them a little easier.

I've taken 4 black bears, one with rifle and three with the bow. The rifled black bear and one of the bow killed gave the death moan. Both of the moaners died within a few yards of me so I got a real good listen to it.

Has anybody heard a death moan from a grizzly/brown bear?

Default Moan

I have shot quite a few with my bow and about half have moaned and half have not, but I did hear last breaths or blowing or something.

I heard a moose do this...and have always wondered if when animals are shot high in the lungs and can't seem to get air, if that's when the moan occurs. Anyone else have it happen on their high-lungshot animals?

Default moan

I've got video of a death moan. we always try & video our hunts & had one die within 3 yards of the bait after being shot with a arrow. they tense all up, moan, go limp... reassuring for sure.

Default Death moan

I think this is a common thing. I too have shot bears that haven't did the death moan but this could be because I just didn't hear it. I try to stay very quiet after the shot and most of the time I hear it. I only wish I had my videos converted over so that I could show you some. My best bear got the blade at 20yds. (squared 7' 2") traveled 15yds, crashed, moaned and gave up the ghost. I really need to convert the video.

Question moaners...

I have heard only a few, 3 or 4, black bears do the moan thing.
    Although I have only been in on 23 (?) brown bear kills, I can not remember any moaning noises. I do remember several making a low-tone, guttural growling sound. The brown bears sound very pissed-off that their "low blood pressure light had illuninated", and then dimmed.

Anybody hear brown bears do the moan?
    Opps, Jerod already asked that question.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default not griz

I've killed a few blacks and griz and have been in on many hunts of both. I've heard the blacks do it a few times but never a griz, that's on about 10 griz kills. I wonder why the difference?

Default Sort of....

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    I have heard only a few, 3 or 4, black bears do the moan thing.
    Although I have only been in on 23 (?) brown bear kills, I can not remember any moaning noises. I do remember several making a low-tone, guttural growling sound. The brown bears sound very pissed-off that their "low blood pressure light had illuninated", and then dimmed.

Anybody hear brown bears do the moan?
    Opps, Jerod already asked that question.

Dennis
    AK TAGS
    I've heard a black bear "moan",sort of--but it was really more of a bawl, when I shot him in the front shoulder at close range. The biggest black bear I shot went right down,appearing to be dead--but after a moment or two,came back to life,struggling to try and get up--all the while making a deep,steady,rumbling growl. I guess like the one the gentleman above mentioned. I guess black bears get pissed off too

Default About

I think 3 of 5 shot with the bow did. One almost had the chance tonight but he was only about 6'6".

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I think 3 of 5 shot with the bow did. One almost had the chance tonight but he was only about 6'6".
    Dave; you sure are picky! Enjoy your season.

Been in on a number of black and brown kills. Have only heard a few moans from the blackies and perhaps one from a brownie. A client mortally wounded a nice male brownie. Rolled down into the alders. We approached and were about 30 ft. above the heavily breathing brownie. Told him to shoot again, and he blew a geiser of mud and water up by the bear's head! He was a tad nervous. I popped it with my .375 in the lungs, and the bear exhaled, like a tire going flat very fast.