Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How close is too close? Baiting

Default How close is too close? Baiting

Here is a question I get a lot!
    How close is too close, when sitting on your bait?
    We generally sit back about 40-50 yards. I recall hearing people say they sit as close as 10 yards.
    How close do you sit?
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

I'm about 55 yds away. The closer you are the easier it is for the bear to see, hear or smell you.

I try to get as close to the bait as I can, I have only been to the, "Great Alaska Bush Co." twice, but closer is better. Man do they use good bait...

The closer you get, the tougher it will be to convince a bear that there is no threat near the bait. I sit 15-20 yards from the bait, and try to choose a tree that does not leave me outlined against the sky, and gives my movement some cover. A big spruce is an ideal stand tree, as it also covers my scent a bit. The reason I set up so close is to have the best bow shot possible. With a rifle I would set up further, just because I could.

Default Special Permit

Hopeak, Do you need a special permit from the wife to hunt there and who is baiting who there?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hopeak, Do you need a special permit from the wife to hunt there and who is baiting who there?

Terry

The original question said nothing about bears......just how close do you like to be to the BAIT.....Wife's should issue a "Special Viewing Permit" ONLY........

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Terry
    I've been applying for years and haven't come close. Wife say's the odds are slim to none.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    The original question said nothing about bears......just how close do you like to be to the BAIT.....Wife's should issue a "Special Viewing Permit" ONLY........
    I guess the "Meat Rack" applies in both situations! Can't say as I would even attempt to slip a dollar to the BIG BROWN I think I'll get that special viewing permit and stay back 50 yards....
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

that place went to the point system YEARS ago... the more years your married. the more point you loose. then at some point you start gaining them again. about the time the sourdough status kicks in. and your hair quit growing on your head and your back......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    that place went to the point system YEARS ago... the more years your married. the more point you loose. then at some point you start gaining them again. about the time the sourdough status kicks in. and your hair quit growing on your head and your back......
    i heard it is like 16 b but u can sit less then 300ft from the water an they supply the stands ,hard to find a place 4 a trail cam but i heard anything u get from there can get pretty expensive to mount! but like 16b theres no limit! steve
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Been at it awhile and my stand is 20' high and 15 yards from my bait. My bait is backed up to the edge of a swamp so basically my bait is to my back and I have shooting lanes cleared fanning outward. Over the years these shooting lanes have turned into nice wide bear trails leading directly to my bait so many of the bears harvested never make it closer then 40-50 yards from the bait unless someone I am hunting with uses a stick and bow....

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Been at it awhile and my stand is 20' high and 15 yards from my bait. My bait is backed up to the edge of a swamp so basically my bait is to my back and I have shooting lanes cleared fanning outward. Over the years these shooting lanes have turned into nice wide bear trails leading directly to my bait so many of the bears harvested never make it closer then 40-50 yards from the bait unless someone I am hunting with uses a stick and bow....
    at 20' u must not get winded by the bears, or at least not often.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    do you hunt with a bow?
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Default bait

15 ft high and 17 feet from bait.

I really don't want to start anything with bow hunters BUT, I can honestly say that out of a handfull of times that I have brought friends out to "stick" one it has been disasterous. Most all hits have looked to me to be vital but I'm sad to say we have not recovered all hits. I personally have spent DAYS exausting myself, even in down pour rains only to have to give up searching. Everyone knows that even a decent bear can ball up under some bloomed out Alders and you could walk with in feet and never see the bear. Nope, not a fan of hunting bears out of a stand with a bow. I have seen kills from the ground from others that seem to go well but I no longer let friends use bows from the stand. Even know they are "certified"....

Default bait

OOPS!! meant to say 15 feet high and 17 yards from the bait. 17 feet would be a bit too close.

I'm 18 yards out.

Default baitem

20 yards out, 12 feet or so up

Default my first post.....

I'm about 8' up and 15 yards from the bait. Nothing gets the heart going quite like getting up close to a nice bruin.

Default Currently

Currently 12' up and 17 yards away. But have taken 2 within 20 yards on the ground with the bow.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast