Thread: leader and tippet size

Default leader and tippet size

I'll be fishing the creeks in August for silvers and chums , what weight leader and tippet is best and do I need a wire leader . Thanks its my first trip up !!

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    I'll be fishing the creeks in August for silvers and chums , what weight leader and tippet is best and do I need a wire leader . Thanks its my first trip up !!
    No, wire leader isn't neccessary, it is generally for pike fishing. Leader and tippet choice is all personal preference. Chums can get pretty big in some creeks/rivers. I would go with a 18 pound leader with 16 pound tippet, some people might recommend something alittle lighter. It all depends on which river/creek you will be fishing. Whether it has snags or not, or how fast the current is, etc...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

That seems very heavy to me but like I said its my first trip up , we will be fishing montana creek and willow , I only have a 6 weight rod and hoping it will do the job , what lighter combination could you suggest . Would a 1x or 2x work ??

That seems very heavy to me but like I said its my first trip up , we will be fishing montana creek and willow , I only have a 6 weight rod and hoping it will do the job , what lighter combination could you suggest . Would a 1x or 2x work ??
    Not trying to blow your bubble, but you will be severly undergunned with a 6 wt for silvers and chums in most cases. Be sure you have a back up rod with you regardless. I go out with 8 and 9 wt rods for chums and silvers and that is not going overboard by any means. These are strong fish and when they get into the current they can and will spool ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Not trying to blow your bubble, but you will be severly undergunned with a 6 wt for silvers and chums in most cases. Be sure you have a back up rod with you regardless. I go out with 8 and 9 wt rods for chums and silvers and that is not going overboard by any means. These are strong fish and when they get into the current they can and will spool ya...
    Agreed, you would need alot of room to land one on a 6 weight. I'm not saying it isn't possible, some buddies of mine caught a silver on the russian last year, but they also went about 300 yards downstream before they landed them.

Fish On!

Agreed. A stiff 8 wt rod with 12-15 lb leader would be my first choice. And I would by no means take only one rod. You may spend more time enjoying the scenery than you planned on if you do
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default leader tippet

Depending on how much room I have and how strong the water is flowing, I usually go with a 17#/14# setup or 20#/17# for silvers (or even reds for that matter). I don't use "real" tippet very often, so I'm not sure exactly what 1x or 2x equates to.

You can definitely tangle with el coho on the 6wt, but I'd bring a backup 8wt - even if you just pick up a cheap combo or something along those lines. I'd rather be fishing with any rod than sitting on the bank twiddling my thumbs. Remember that you're talking about fish that average 10 pounds (and can go twice that) with plenty of attitude.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Ok , sounds like real good suggestions , I thought I could get buy with my 6 wt. but I think your all right on about this and I will look for an 8 wt. rod . Thanks for the help .

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post

Remember that you're talking about fish that average 10 pounds (and can go twice that) with plenty of attitude.
    Yep. Good info.

The fish below snapped a very high quality rod as we got it in. Up along the bank one second, let our guard down, fish takes off (the bank) at full speed like a bolt of lightning. Without a back up, it would have been a bad day. The rest of this day was some of the best fishing we had on the 13 day float. Back up rods are a must in my opinion. The more remote an area you fish, the more it matters of course.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Hey , thats a real beauty !!!!! thanks for sharing , I'd love to run into some sockeye , my friend that has been up before says they don't run into the reds to much . He likes the willow , montana creek and somewhere south of anchorage along the kenai , maybe are later time going in august puts us to late for the run ??

Question SALMON or TROUT?

Get some flourocarbon leader in: 8, 10, 12 15, 20 and 25 lb. You can get away with using the heavier leader for Salmon, but the trout are a lot smarter. Just because salmon are in schools it didn't make them as smart as a Kenai rainbow. The flourocarbon leader will disappear in the water and it has a really good knot strenght. I agree with my fellow flyfishers that you should get an 8WT as a backup rod when you break that 6WT.

\

I'd love to run into some sockeye

That is a silver. About 35 miles upriver on a SW Alaska float near the end of August. As we went down river, they got brighter and brighter of course. As they come in from the ocean, they are chrome. The longer they stay in fresh water, the darker they get. Making that change and getting ready to do the final deed. Darkies like this can fight like hell. The chromers jump two feet out of the water, flip you the bird, and tell you to f#(k yourself. Hence, the suggestion of many for an 8 weight

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    That is a silver. About 35 miles upriver on a SW Alaska float near the end of August. As we went down river, they got brighter and brighter of course. As they come in from the ocean, they are chrome. The longer they stay in fresh water, the darker they get. Making that change and getting ready to do the final deed. Darkies like this can fight like hell. The chromers jump two feet out of the water, flip you the bird, and tell you to f#(k yourself. Hence, the suggestion of many for an 8 weight
    EWWW....Grossss....What a dark old boot.
    Looks like a silver from the Delta Clearwater.

Fish On!

Yep. We were about halway down the 62 mile long Goodnews when we ran into them. This was the darkest one I had seen since my only other experience with silvers had been at river mouths around Nome. As we went down, we gradually ran into lighter fish. But I was surprised at how hard these dark guys fought to be honest.

Sorry ,My newbie mistake , didn't know the silvers turned so red like a sockeye , I hope we run into some good silvers !!!!! or sockeye !!!! They might strain my little 6wt. thats been use to little lower 48 brookies !!!! I have landed some nice browns and salmon running out of lake ontario , we just had to follow the fish down stream !!!!!! I got my eye on a 8 wt. already .

Default 8wt

I got my eye on a 8 wt. already .

Which one are you looking at?
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Get some flourocarbon leader in: 8, 10, 12 15, 20 and 25 lb. You can get away with using the heavier leader for Salmon, but the trout are a lot smarter. Just because salmon are in schools it didn't make them as smart as a Kenai rainbow. The flourocarbon leader will disappear in the water and it has a really good knot strenght. I agree with my fellow flyfishers that you should get an 8WT as a backup rod when you break that 6WT.
    Flourocarbon for the tippet section. Look at the prepackage leaders for tippet diameter and match the flourocarbon as closely as possible.

The set up.

Rio Salmon Steelhead leader 12lb to small Spro barrel swivel, size #10 tie off using a Trilene knot. Connect 18 to 24" inches of Rio flouroflex tippet and connect to the other end of barrel swivel. Tie off your fly or trout bead. Add weight as necessary above the barrel swivel.

Questions !

I buy a spool of mono, 12, or 16lbs, no need for all that crazy crap when it comes to a salmon leader....it all works, but some things are MUCH cheaper

True. Especially if you are using a sink tip line. I like 3' or so of leader. I have used the more expensive leaders in 3-4' length, but to be honest, at that length, I can't say that they are better than using 3-4' of mono.

I might add, I do adjust these a little as the conditions call for it. I rarely go below 12... but I will jump to 20 for kings. Faster water, deep water dregging, vs slow water and subsurface stuff, or even poly wogging...still use straight mono for all of it, floating or sinking. Go as heavy as you can and still catch fish! If you have to or find yourself too light you can always add a heavier tippet section which I've found isnt needed. Be checking your line often when dredging holes, catching fish, or hanging up on stuff...and sharpening hooks, be soft with the drag and palm more then anything, you'll land more then you've bargained for.

If I had to recommend one weight line, after thinking about this last nite, I'd go with 14 for cohos, just to be a little more safe on the conditions you are fishing, not that a 12 lb leader cant handle them. You're mileage may very, location, style of fishing, and just how you fish will dictate what you can and cant use.