Thread: You guys are going to hate me....

Talking You guys are going to hate me....

I bought another gun, a Rem. 700 270 WSM XCR, NIB(new in box)...the guy bought it for $1200 (high mark up per village order) & sold it to me for UNDER the price you'd pay at a dealer/shop/walmart....

Don't hate me guys...please...

Nice buy. You will love the xcr. I love mine. Happy Hunting!

Ron

Default I'd been wanting a...

Stainless/poly gun for a while now, & VIOLA here it comes...

I like this gun, but the bolt does seem a lil too harsh to cycle...especially on the push downward motion...it emits a high pitched squeak...will need to find the source of the friction & get 'er greased sufficiently...over all the gun is pretty darned sweet...the barrel looks thicker than my BDL & the trigger pull seems lighter...doesn't have the detachable mag like my BDL but has the trap door type...holds three, which is ok considering it's a WSM...

Now I need to buy, bases, rings, sling & a scope...
    Last edited by gogoalie; 05-19-2009 at 12:55. Reason: grammer error

I set one of these up for a guy a short while ago. He dropped off the gun, VXIII scope and 2 boxes of shells and asked me to put it together, zero it in and adjust the trigger if needed. The trigger was as good as they come on a production rifle so basicly that left slapping the scope on it and shooting up his bullets.

I also remember that the chambering wasn't as smooth as most 700's are. I think that is a characteristic of the short fat WSM cartriges more than a fault of the gun. I once zeroed in a 70 Winchester Black Shadow in 7mm WSM that acted much the same.

The XTR 270WSM that I zeroed was a shooter. Right around an inch with the factory 150's that he brought me.

As for the squeak??? Follower would be my guess if not that maybe a burr on a feed rail or the top of the feed ramp????

I have always been a fan of the 270 Winchester and own a couple of them. The WSM version just adds another hundred yards to already excellent caliber.

Enjoy the new toy!

Oh yeah! Yup there would still be a God. Satan will be consumed in the "Lake of Fire" so he won't die in the woods neither.......I'm still smiling!

Default What's the "follower?"

is that on the bolt? I think the squeak is coming from either the bolt head (nearest the chamber) or it could be coming from near the bolt handle itself...

The follower is the thing the shells sit on in the magazine well. As you run the bolt forward it is a natural tendancy for the follower to try to slide forward along with the shell (or bolt on an empty chamber). It can only move forward a tiny bit until it hits the front of the magazine well. Durying this tiny bit of travel is where they can squeak. I've probably handled a thousand 700's in my day and have only encounteed this a couple of times.

Whatever squeaks usually stops when a little lubrication is applied. Since it is brand splinter new then I'm bettin the squeak will go away with normal use.