Thread: Boat - Electrical Work, Wiring

Default Boat - Electrical Work, Wiring

I have a 20 ft. Aurora, Honda 90, 1999. I bought it ~3 years ago.

I need wiring/electrical work:

Install second battery and selector
    Replace wiring, fuse box, switches, electrical panel
    Replace wire to all lights, replace all lights
    Wire for some speakers
    Wire for pot puller
    New 12 Volt power socket
    Remove old unused wiring
    Remove Washdown pump and unsused wiring.

I assume I don't have to go to a Honda Dealer for this.

All guages work fine, don't need to touch those.

Where should I go? Any rough estimate to the nearest $500 of the cost to rip and replace all wireing, circuits, switches.

By the way, there is no way I'm doing this myself, so let's not go there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Electrical wiring cost

You are looking at one full day of labor at $110 per hour (average shop rate) and about $500 worth of materials. This should include soldering all connections with water proof shrink wrap and using marine grade wires with proper gauge.

Smile mhpilot

Where are you located? Dan Staub in the Soldotna area does great work. He's in the phone book. Save you LOTS off the price from dealerships.

M

Red face mhpilot

Sorry. Spelled the name wrong. It's Dan Paulk. Don't know where I got the other name from. Using thumbs on keys instead of fingers?

M

I think the one estimate you got was low on both material and labor hours. Just removing the old stuff will likely take 1/2 day. The new wiring and terminations could take 1 1/2 days. As a friend said when he wired up his Tolman, he figured it would take him a day, and he spent 3 days wiring it. He did do a professional job.

Go with Blue sea componets, not cheap but they'll last. The fuse block, electrical panel, switches and battery combiner ecr/switch will be at least $500. I haven't looked at marine wiring lately, but I know the prices have jumped the past few years, so wiring and terminations will run around $500. You'll need to use heavy gauge wiring for the battery, that stuff runs $5-10 per foot, per conductor, and the terminals are a couple bucks each.

So I'd say $3000 will get you in the ball park. I'd be suprised if you found a competent marine electrician that could get it done for under $2k parts and labor.

Not sure why you don't want to tackle it yourself... What you are wanting to do is not anything difficult by electrical standards. Plus, doing the work will allow you to get intimately familiar with the boat which may come in handy someday.

Pay someone $1k-$3k to do what would cost around $500 in parts..... I guess I'm kinda cheap
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I just completed a similar re-wire job on the 26-foot Hewescraft a friend and I bought together. We re-did the wiring, batteries & switches, relay/charging system, dash switches, fuse panel, bilge pumps & float switches, anchor light, VHF radio & antenna, GPS & antenna, fish finder & transducer, 12V socket, and we replaced/rewired all the lights on the trailer. It took me several weekends, once I got all the stuff together. If I did it again, I'm sure I could do if faster. I learned a lot in the process that I will consider if there's a "next" time.

I'll second what Paul said about Blue Sea products, and I'll recommend BEP Marine, as well. They both make good stuff! I also strongly recommend using marine grade wiring & waterproof (heat-shrink) connectors. They cost more but are worth it, IMO. Do the job once, rather than each season.

BTW, Lowes carries the waterproof connectors for cheaper than the boat shops & West Marine.

If you want to attempt to do the job yourself, I'd be happy help and share what I know. Getting a good wiring plan together is a good place to start, and will help you build a cost estimate. The work isn't difficult, just time consuming.

The best pricing I have found for do it yourself is
    http://genuinedealz.com/

Guess I wasn't supposed to go there but it might save some one some $$

Default Thanks

Thanks to all the great replies and perspectives. I'm new to boating, 3rd summer, but I've put 150+ on the boat for the previous two summers. and I've logged 5 days so far this year.

The notion of spending 1/5th of the boats value in wiring/electrical seems odd....

But hey, how can I apply "return on asset" logic to the same boat that puts a smile on my 3 year old's face and has provide so much fun for so many family, friends and visitors.

MRH