Thread: Zipper failure

Default Zipper failure

Well I broke out an old favorite tent for a gear check in the back yard with the kids. As the title indicates the main door zipper failed which was ok for a short night in the back yard but not for a trip to the woods.

Any suggestions on repair/replacement? Is this the end for my tent, or can someone in Anchorage salvage her for less then the cost of a new one?

Thanks for the help.

Default Not the end of your tent!

Jester,

It is not the end of your tent. It should be a fairly easy fix, depending on exactly what you mean by zipper failure. By the sounds of it, I am assuming you mean, when you try to zip it up, the teeth do not close behind the zipper pull.

Basically what this means is that your zipper pull is beginning to fail. There is one quick fix that will prolong the life of the zipper pull, but eventually you will have to replace the zipper pull (which is a pretty easy fix as well).

First, unzip the zipper as far as you can. Next, take two pairs of pliers and position one on each side of the zipper pull, on the flat parts. Squeeze each one equally and at the same time. It is very important that you do not squeeze them to hard. If you squeeze them to hard they will make the zipper too tight and hard to pull. Try zipping it up now. If it works, the zipper is good to go for a little while longer. You will notice, at the very bottom of the zipper there might be a small place all the way at the end that is not closed up because the zipper pull can not go that far back. If this is the case you can simply sew it up slightly in front of the opening or used a double zipper stop that you can get at most outdoor shops.

If you try the above method and it does not work, you will need to replace the zipper pull. Back down at the bottom of the zipper, as far as you can go, you will want to cut the teeth on each side. Just a quick snip perpendicular to the direction of the zipper. This will allow you to slide the old zipper pull off. Take a look at the zipper pull. In the front middle, in between the two openings where the zipper enters the pull, there will be a number. This is the zipper pull size. It will probably be either 5c or 8c. Those are the most common for tent zippers. You can get a new zipper pull at most outdoor shops. When you put the new zipper pull on , make sure both sides of the zipper are even when you enter them into the pull. Also, if you are using a double zipper pull (one with a handle on both sides) make sure you have it right side up or it will not work. Putting the new pull on might take some time. Be patient and stick with it and you will eventually get it. Once you get the new zipper pull on. Sew up the zipper in front of the two cuts that you made or use a double zipper stop so that the zipper pull can not go past it and come off again.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any questions, let me know. There is another way to replace the zipper pull that a bit more complicated and requires a sewing machine, but allows you to do the repair without cutting the zipper.

Cheers,
    Jason

Default Tent repair

If all else fails, Alaska Tent & Tarp does a great job with replacing and/or repairing zippers. I've always found their prices to be very reasonable and the service exceptional. Good luck.

-Tom-

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    If all else fails, Alaska Tent & Tarp does a great job with replacing and/or repairing zippers. I've always found their prices to be very reasonable and the service exceptional. Good luck.

-Tom-

I second this!

and if your on this end of the road.......NOMAR in Homer dose zippers as well

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post

-Tom-
    +1, I third this.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I was gonna have ak t&t build a conopy for the back of my buggy my materials and they quoted me like 100 bucks to sew it all up, thats where I'd head!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Alaska Tent and Tarp replaced the zipper in our REI family tent after the kids hosed it. They replaced it with a zipper nearly twice as big and it was really inexpensive to have them do it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem