Thread: On a brighter note!

Default On a brighter note!

All this pot stealing stuff is kind of discouraging.
    We just returned from Whittier after a 5 dayer and yes we caught plenty of shrimp! For those of you who have asked all the this and that stuff about those great E-dyne pullers, I did some homework this week end.
    Pulling a 4 pot string (you can only eat so many) that puller of mine was doing a timed 218 ft. per minuite! Thats pulling a total of 1100 of line /gear!
    Now you can get back to talking about them thieves!
    Mike

Was that an Electrodyne on the thieves boat?
    They could steal a lot more shrimp with those kinds of retrieve rates!!!!

Wow! That's fast. So, for a 500 foot pull, it would take you just under 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Let's see. The Ace would probably do that same 500 foot pull at a rate of about 80 feet per second (I only pull two pots at a time, so I'm just guessing). So, it would take about 6 minutes and 15 seconds.

It would definitely save a little time. But is the extra $$ worth the few minutes saved? I guess it would depend on how many times you drop your pots in a season. I only get about 15-20 pulls a season, and that would save me less than an hour and a half total per season. So, for me, and other casual shrimpers on a budget, it's hard to justify paying twice as much for a pot puller. But for the guys who really do a lot of shrimping or have a few extra bucks available to buy the good stuff, it seems like a great unit.

Heck, I'm just happy I don't have to use my old Armstrong puller any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Wow! That's fast. So, for a 500 foot pull, it would take you just under 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Let's see. The Ace would probably do that same 500 foot pull at a rate of about 80 feet per second (I only pull two pots at a time, so I'm just guessing). So, it would take about 6 minutes and 15 seconds.

It would definitely save a little time. But is the extra $$ worth the few minutes saved? I guess it would depend on how many times you drop your pots in a season. I only get about 15-20 pulls a season, and that would save me less than an hour and a half total per season. So, for me, and other casual shrimpers on a budget, it's hard to justify paying twice as much for a pot puller. But for the guys who really do a lot of shrimping or have a few extra bucks available to buy the good stuff, it seems like a great unit.

Heck, I'm just happy I don't have to use my old Armstrong puller any more.
    Its not only a time saving, to me its like using a good tool to do a job, yeah you can use a cheap tool and get it done but doesn't using a quality tool make the job more enjoyable and safer. Yup another puller will get the job done but for how long?? Will a another pull your anchor line? yes maybe? but for how many pulls before you need another one? The ED's aren't for everyone but one thing i am sure of is you'll only buy a ED once and once you have it you'll discover other uses for it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    All this pot stealing stuff is kind of discouraging.
    We just returned from Whittier after a 5 dayer and yes we caught plenty of shrimp! For those of you who have asked all the this and that stuff about those great E-dyne pullers, I did some homework this week end.
    Pulling a 4 pot string (you can only eat so many) that puller of mine was doing a timed 218 ft. per minuite! Thats pulling a total of 1100 of line /gear!
    Now you can get back to talking about them thieves!
    Mike
    Hey put some outside controls on that rig and then you won't be pulling the boat sideways so you'll be able to haul faster if you run up the line while hauling
    Thanks for the info Mike, good to know what the hauler will do in real life. Next trip can you make me a video of you hauling ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default The safety thing isn't mentioned enough!

Steve hit's the safety button each time these conversations come up but most either miss it or discount it. When everything is perfect and the seas are flat and no one is waking you and the sun is out and the wind ain't blowing and the state ferry ain't going by and the tide is slack a lesser puller will undoutably work great and get you some shrimp in an econimical fashion.
    However, when ALL of the above IS going on, the limited exposier time is appreciated. In my opinion, your somewhat vulnerable while actully pulling due to diminished situational awarness of your surroundings and at some risk. When the chop is up there, say over two feet, I especially appreciate a puller of this quality.
    You've heard all this before, and the decision to "move up" is strictly your own. I just want folks to have answers to all the questions they might have that would encourage a good decision. Remember, I flew by the seat of my pant's on this as no one else was around to talk to when I made the move!

Regarding the puller on the thiefs boat, it looked like one of them that require ear plugs to run. That's probably how the victim caught them, hearing that funny gear whine coming from the direction of his shrimp gear.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Its not only a time saving, to me its like using a good tool to do a job, yeah you can use a cheap tool and get it done but doesn't using a quality tool make the job more enjoyable and safer.
    I absolutely agree. There's nothing worse than fighting with cheap tools. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an ED on the boat. I would also love to have a 10-inch chartplotter instead of my 5-inch unit, a new E-Tec instead of my old mid-eighties Low-Tech, and another 8-9 feet of hull. But, the boating fund just won't support everything. I did happen to squeek out enough for an ACE last year and I certainly don't regret it. Yup, it doesn't have the speed or power of an ED, but it sure is better than pulling the string up hand over hand like I did for a few years. It finally got to the point that I was either going to get a puller or give up shrimping altogether. So when I found one listed at a good price on craigslist, I had to get it.

Maybe when this thing dies I'll be able to seriously consider buying the good tool... In the mean time, I'll still be eating fresh shrimp. It'll just take me longer to get the little suckers on board.

See ya on the water.

-Rod

Default Speaking of Whittier..

I will be out with the family (thier first time out in the Sound) this weekend being followed by a buddy in his boat. We will be around Paddy Bay, just playing around. Honk as you go by.

Bayliner trophy being chased by a Marion.

Just for the sake of full disclosure, I timed one of my pulls with the ACE this weekend. It pulled 600 feet of line and three pots right at 73 feet per minute. That is about a third of the speed of the ED (but still better than pulling by hand).

Hey Steve, you got any kind of trade-in policy?

Default getting what you pay for.

I guess the addage of getting what you pay for holds true in comparing these pullers. Apparently the ace pulls 2/3 slower than the king of the hill E-dyne, but simple math reveals you dont have to spend 3 times the price of an ace to get one!

I'm sure this puller debate will go on for ever, much like the chevy ford thing. The bottom line is, if your out enjoying yourself and getting some shrimp in the process, it really don't get much better.

Mike