Thread: Shrimpers please sink your line

Default Shrimpers please sink your line

I just finished pulling a bunch of poly line from around one of my props. The bouy was in the shipping lane about two miles out of Whittier. I passed the bouy at about 100yds, but the extra poly line was floating just below the surface. I've seen this a few times and have hit it once before. It's much better for all of us if shrimpers attach a few pounds of weight fifty feet down from the bouy.

Good info for the uninformed, and a good reminder for the old hands. Leaded line sinks, but Poly line floats and is a hazard to boaters.

I use Poly line, but I have a lead ball that gets snapped on the free line at about 75 feet below the buoy. It's really works for keeping the poly from floating on the surface.

Offshore... did you get any contact info off the buoy? If I hit a line I think I'd try to contact the owner and let 'em know that what they're doing is creating a hazard. At the least, they would know why their gear is missing, instead of assuming that somebody stole it.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Just my 2 cents worth on the floating buoylines w/weights. If it were me i'd put the weight further down the line because at 50 or 75 feet the rope after the weight may float back up past the weight and up to the surface, thats if you have a lot of extra buoyline and your not setting in that deep of water or if there isn't too much current moving in the spot your fishing.
    That is all,
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have an 800' floating main line, and have weights at 100' and midline. My thinking is with a 600' drop the midline weight will pull most of the slack down, and if it floats shallower the weight at 100' will take up the rest of the slack.

It's also a reminder to give buoys a wide birth.

Default sinking

I use sinking for the top 600'.

If you have poly line, I think you could put your weight even as far down from your buoy as the water is deep. I see what Potbuilder is saying. If you're 400 feet deep, have 800 feet of line, and put your weight 100 feet down from your buoy, you'll have the top 100 feet of line weighted down but will have a couple hundred feet of line that could still be floating on the surface.

The teacher was right when she said that I would one day find an application for math in my life

Question why do you use floating line?

we crab here in 450'-500' and i don't know anyone who uses floating line.
    is it just to keep your line from fouling on rocks? we have a smooth bottom so all you might snag is a ghost pot unless you are too close to a working pot....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    is it just to keep your line from fouling on rocks? we have a smooth bottom so all you might snag is a ghost pot unless you are too close to a working pot....
    That's the reason I use it. I put a 5 pound cod weight on a clip to sink the remainder of the line. I have not had any issues snagging bottom or fouling props.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

this is good info. I went out on a friends boat with a couple of pots and noticed that one line sank and the other did not, both were lead line at least thats what the spool said

Quote Originally Posted by EBalaska View Post
    this is good info. I went out on a friends boat with a couple of pots and noticed that one line sank and the other did not, both were lead line at least thats what the spool said
    How can a lead line float???

Quote Originally Posted by EBalaska View Post
    Our shrimp pots have several hundred feet of poly line attached to the pot. The poly line is spliced to another hundred or so feet of lead line attached to the buoy. That might be what your friends are using as well, it's just re wound onto the leadline spool.

My parents used to commercially shrimp in the Sound and always used floating lines with three 1lb weights spaced underneath the buoy. We still do it that way, and have never had a problem. I understand the frustrations expressed here, but it can be done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    How can a lead line float???
    It must be MARINE leaded line to work

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    It's cheaper and lighter to start with...

I just started last year but I used one set lead line, one poly to see which I prefered. I clipped a 2 lb weight about 100 feet up from the pots and 2, 1 lb weights split between the remainder. They always sank just fine but then again I always fished max depth so there wasn't much spare anyway. I prefered the lead line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Offshore... did you get any contact info off the buoy? If I hit a line I think I'd try to contact the owner and let 'em know that what they're doing is creating a hazard. At the least, they would know why their gear is missing, instead of assuming that somebody stole it.

I certainly would have contacted the owner, but the bouy was completely unmarked... I guess that's another issue.

Mine are set up with floating poly for the ground line only, with sinking line spliced in the the part that comes up to the surface. Using floating line with additional weights seem like extra stuff to forget or mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    I certainly would have contacted the owner, but the bouy was completely unmarked... I guess that's another issue.
    Yeah, you were one Magic Marker from owning another set of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Just my 2 cents ... If it were me i'd put the weight further down the line because at 50 or 75 feet the rope after the weight may float back up past the weight and up to the surface
    Good point for those with long lines or shallow pots. But we have two pots on a 600 foot line. The second pot is 50 feet up from the end, so that makes 550 feet of line coming off the bottom. And since we normally drop 'em ~450 feet deep, that only leaves 100 feet of loose line, even if it came straight up off the bottom. And having the weight 75 feet from the buoy will sink 150 feet of line. So I don't think we'll ever have a problem (we've never had any line floating so far). Also, the weight is on a clip we can move around, so if we were to fish shallow, we can (and do) move the weight down some.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt anything to have the weight lower on the line either, unless you didn't use enough weight to keep it all down. The bottom line is, you should have enough awareness to avoid creating a hazard, and should be responsible for it if you do.

And I gotta say, this is one of the great things about this forum. If you don't know how to do something, want to do it right, or just want to do it better, all you have to do is ask and somebody is usually right there willing to give advice and share their experiences.

Good discussion guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!